What's new

gin recommendations?

Here's a tip: Keep the sapphire bottle and refill it with Gordons. Visitors, and probably yourself, will never know the difference.

I would draw a distinction here.

In a Gin & Tonic and in a Tom Collins, I concede. (Have you ever tried a Bee's Knees?)

In a Martini, I deny. Unless, of course the person about to imbibe is already three sheets to the wind!

No mention of New Amsterdam? Does anybody like that Gin around here? It's my favorite.

I recently went through several bottles of Gin to evaluate which ones I liked. Here is my ranked order:

1. Greyling (Reginal/Artisan, the best gin, I've ever had, but very expensive)
2. New Amsterdam
3. Hendricks
4. Bombay Sapphire
5. Tanqueray
6. McCormick
7. Beefeater

No mention of New Amsterdam? Does anybody like that Gin around here? It's my favorite.

Not bad in a G&T as I remember but I don't care for the citrus overtone straight or over ice. I prefer to add my own citrus (lemon) as needed. However, now that you bring it up, I may pick some up instead of Gordons for a change when I resupply next week.

I had a Hendricks, neat, at a restaurant tonight and LOVED it. I liked it so much I stopped by my favorite package store and bought a bottle!

I stepped off the deep end with Vodkas and now limit myself to specific brands.

I didn't want to do that with Gin: I find them, for the most part (Gibley's being the standout), all quite acceptable. Gibley's has got something terribly wrong going on there.

I'll typically get Beefeater over Bombay or Tanqueray as I prefer the harsher taste of it (and it's a couple $ cheaper). And Gordon's is quite acceptable for my palette.

My wife every so often will get me some fancier gin as a surprise (Hendrick's or whatnot). And, while nice, I can't justify them. Ungava was one that stuck out as pretty nice to me.

speaking of tonic,do they sell 12 ounce bottles of tonic water because all i found were like really big bottles or 8 ounce bottles of it

or would something like this pretty much be the same $th.jpg

I'm just getting into the world of gin. So far I've tried Bombay Sapphire, Prairie Organic and Monkey 47. Of these, I prefer the Monkey 47. It is very nice but given the cost of a bottle here, I'll probably check out some other brands soon. My next purchase will probably be Hendricks.

I'm always looking for a bargain and found citadel gin to be pretty good. Also, boodles is really good. That being said, I love the high end stuff like hendricks and sapphire too

I compared some Bombay Sapphire, my go to gin for decades, and Hendricks. I tried each gin neat. Not even close. As much as I have liked the Bombay, which I have always mixed, it has been designated "mix with tonic" status. For gin served "neat," Hendricks all the way!!

Top Bottom