What's new

Stripped threads on a watch - how to avoid it

I read in a recent post about how carefully one must screw down the crown of a watch to make sure you don't cross thread the thing. I don't have an automatic at present but when I did I found an easy solution. After the time is set and I am ready to screw the crown here is what I do: gently press inward on the crown while s-l-o-w-l-y turning it backward counter-clockwise. You will feel the crown "drop" down right into the beginning of the threads on the watch. When it does it is time to then wind it clockwise and you are good to go. Works every time and no risk of cross threading the watch - highly recommended!

Good advice, and it has worked for me ever since I stripped one. If it ever does happen just remember it isn't a big deal to repair. The stem tube is just an insert pressed into the watch case and it should be an easy repair for any watchmaker. Heck, even us hobbyists can do that one.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good advice, Captain. I do this all the time with screws on simulators- I should have thought of this for watches.

:confused1 Is cross threading even a problem? How much force are you using to tighten your crown?

If I feel it start cross threaded (virtually never) I just back it off and re-screw.

Legion

Staff member
:confused1 Is cross threading even a problem? How much force are you using to tighten your crown?

If I feel it start cross threaded (virtually never) I just back it off and re-screw.

Some watches a more prone to it than others. I think it has to do with the quality of material they make the crown out of. The more expensive swiss watches I've owned have never been an issue, but I have had to be careful with my Vostoks.

Top Bottom