What's new

Folding Knife Locks Preference

Just curious out there, but what type of knife locking systems do you guys prefer on your folders?

Lots of knives come with frame/liner locks. I just find them harder to manipulate with one hand and, having my finger under the blade while trying to close and manipulate the lock isn't very user friendly to me. So those are my least favorite.

I think my favorites are spine locks or the benchmade axis lock.

My only two locking knives have a frame lock. Works fine for me. When I was a kid, I had a pocketknife collapse on my finger. Not a good day!

I really like my SOG with a cam lock but any decent lock is ok with me. All I really want is something to keep the blade from closing on my fingers while I'm using it more or less normally though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Anything is better than nothing, but I agree that I would rather keep my fingers out of the path of the closing blade while unlocking it. I also agree on being able to close it one-handed. I tend to like back/spine locks for both reasons.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Do not like the frame locks.

Love my two Benchmades, but voted spine lock, it's more widely applicable.

AA

I really like my SOG with a cam lock but any decent lock is ok with me. All I really want is something to keep the blade from closing on my fingers while I'm using it more or less normally though.

I also have an SOG, with a arc/cam lock on it. i beat the living crap out of that knife lol. I know there is a bad stigma around SOG, but their knives so far have held up pretty well for me.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My EDC is a pair of Benchmade Griptilians, one left pocket, one right pocket. Different style Mel Pardue blades.

My edc of late, Vic Soldier 2011, has a liner lock and I like it just fine.
In fact this is my preferred liner lock cause it is set up left handed.
Most of my other SAK's don't have locks and I'm ok with that too.
If I'm doing something too demanding it is time for a fixed blade.

I will have to vote "other" in poll as my favorite lock is the type on the Manix2.
Once broken in they are sweet, a bit stiff at first though.

I still have a faint scar on my finger where a liner lock knife collapsed on me as a teenager. While I own liner lock knives, I don't trust any of them unreservedly.

Frame locks on a decent quality knife (the afore mentioned Sebenza being the gold standard) always feel the best to me. I'm a fan of the the Axis lock as well.

Top Bottom