What's new

Are automatic watch winders a waste of money?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is why you got a Stewie badge! :thumbup:

I thought it was so the Mods could keep a closer eye on me :biggrin: I don't mind the occasional adjustment of my watch- it keeps me linked to it. Of course, I only have 3 hands and a date function. But now that I made that post about cigars, I see a Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur #1 in my near future.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
What watch, soap, and razor go with that?

The watch is easy- my Invicta dive watch. I got some more Speick (my stick ran out a year ago, and finally replenished) and have been on a Speick kick. The razor with be my EverReady 1912, most likely. This is all contingent, of course, on whether or not I plan to shave on the weekend :biggrin:

Plus, the money spent on a winder can buy some cigars.

...and then turn the cigar box into a watch winder!
This is my own effort powered by a microwave oven turntable motor fitted into a small empty Cohiba box (they are legal here) along with some modelling brass rod and strip and an electronic timer to switch it off and on periodically during the day. It has been working well for over 12 years now.

$IMG_3343.jpg

I find mine very useful. My three daily wears are two quartz and one automatic so the auto gets worn two or sometimes three days in a week but rarely in a row. The watch winder keeps my auto ready to go when I want to wear it.

Have a higher winder and it does is collect dust!
I still had adjust the time after using.
My mechanical watches go by arm swing motion, the wider goes in circles, NOT giving the watch the movement that the watch needed to stay wound correctly.

I have enough non-automatic watches in my collection that I take it for granted that I will need to set my watch in the morning. No point to a winder for me.

Well, it depends on person to person and needs and requirements. I wouldn't say at all that they are a waste of money. A bough a high-end watch wonder for my Buben & Zorweg and for someone like me who has a collection, an automatic watch winder plays an essential role of keeping the watch updated even if it is not touched for several months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allow me to input

I have several automatics that all have good power reserves (min 72 hrs)

Even though, I still hand wind them each morning and check them against each other just as part of a more tactile routine rather than depending on winder(s)

For the record I have 2 winders but use them purely to hold my watches in display and take care of the winding as stated above

For me they are not worth having unless you can't be bothered to pick your watch up every day and wind it manually for 40 or so turns ( power reserve dependent). Mine are from a previous thought process when I had a lot more watches to keep track of

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Allow me to input

I have several automatics that all have good power reserves (min 72 hrs)

Even though, I still hand wind them each morning and check them against each other just as part of a more tactile routine rather than depending on winder(s)

For the record I have 2 winders but use them purely to hold my watches in display and take care of the winding as stated above

For me they are not worth having unless you can't be bothered to pick your watch up every day and wind it manually for 40 or so turns ( power reserve dependent). Mine are from a previous thought process when I had a lot more watches to keep track of

It's a ritual, and if there is one place that fully understands ritual it is B&B :biggrin:

on edit: And I forgot to add- Welcome to B&B

I recently got a Seiko 5 (SNK805). It's my first automatic but I'm leaning heavily toward getting another.

I'm glad that I decided to search B&B about winders. So far it hasn't a big ordeal to set the watch when it's number gets called, but it's only been a few months. It looks like it might be necessary if the rotation grows a bit more.

IMO, it just depends on what type of watches you have, how many you have, and how you rotate them. If you have something like a triple date moonphase, a winder is pretty essential. Even with just the date, if you rotate watches throughout the week, it's sure nice to not have to set it each time you wear it. I have one watch without the date and that one never goes on the winder since setting it is so easy and quick.

For a good low priced winder, I highly recommend Brookestone's winder (comes in either 1, 2, or 4 winding heads).

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
IMO, it just depends on what type of watches you have, how many you have, and how you rotate them. If you have something like a triple date moonphase, a winder is pretty essential. Even with just the date, if you rotate watches throughout the week, it's sure nice to not have to set it each time you wear it. I have one watch without the date and that one never goes on the winder since setting it is so easy and quick.

For a good low priced winder, I highly recommend Brookestone's winder (comes in either 1, 2, or 4 winding heads).

The Chronoswiss Triple Lunar is what put me into winders. When the normal Hours, Minutes, and Seconds setting is enhanced with displays for the Month, Day of the Week, Date and Moonphase it helps to keep it wound up. Especially when the date & moonphase pushers advance one by one .. hell, I have to dig out the manual to figure out which of the four pusher settings is which when I still need to adjust for short months ..

$IMG_7943.jpg

The Chronoswiss Triple Lunar is what put me into winders. When the normal Hours, Minutes, and Seconds setting is enhanced with displays for the Month, Day of the Week, Date and Moonphase it helps to keep it wound up. Especially when the date & moonphase pushers advance one by one .. hell, I have to dig out the manual to figure out which of the four pusher settings is which when I still need to adjust for short months ..

View attachment 650080

Funny, that's the exact watch I was thinking of when I wrote that. A local dealer actually has a used one for sale right now that keeps tempting me. I'd been eyeing it up online for years on different forums and finally got to see it live. Great watch!!!

Top Bottom