• Grill like a Texan

• Cast iron pan

• Sous vide

• Sear then finish in oven

• Reverse sear

Results are only viewable after voting.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Face it, we all love steak. Even the godless commies and puny vegans love steak. But what's your favorite way to prepare it?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Strange that a vegetarian is polling how steaks are cooked. I hope it doesn't (does) end up in vegetarian magazine editorial section. :laugh:

...give me steak or give me...

another steak

Schwenker grill for thin beef steaks bird and pork.

A thick beef steak like a Cowboy ribeye. gets roasted in a pit under medium heat for 30 minutes. It's a propane grill with a large chunk of hardwood placed directly on the burner. We use oak, hickory or mesquite to give it a good smoke flavor.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447170585.923997.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447170461.768271.jpg

Anything but sous vide. Can't abide the texture.

Prefer to cook steaks on my gas grill, though last night I did a very nice NY Strip in a cast iron pan.

Olive oil & salt and pepper both sides. Sear one side in a pan hotter than the fires of Hades. Flip and immediately put in 500 degree oven to finish. Make a red wine reduction out of whatever is left in the pan while the steak sits.

I don't know anything about cooking steak or cooking in general for that matter but I know a thing or two about eating it and I'll take a grilled slab of red meat any day.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The last steak I cooked was semi-cold smoked first. Then it was placed on a screaming hot the grill until charred and medium rare.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have found myself searing then finishing in oven a lot latterly. The cast iron pan has been my go to method for years.
The reverse sear is new to me and I have only done it once. I think it would work best with a really thick steak.

Most important is that it is medium rare and seasoned with salt & pepper.

Inch thick ribeye.
Rocket hot charcoal 2-zone fire with a couple of wood chunks.
Rub cold steak with olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper.
Place over screaming hot side to sear each side. (~2 minutes each side)
Move to indirect side until 110°.
Move back to hot side and bring to 122° or so.
Rest it, then eat it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Ouch:
attachment.php
The Mrs. and I love using our Lodge Pro- Logic pre-seasoned 12-Inch square grill pan for steaks. Because of the raised ridges (which allows fat to drain), you can get beautiful cris-cross seared-markings! Also, we like basting our steaaks with hot butter for flavor because it gives the meat a better crust and speeds up cooking a 'tad'! :thumbsup:

attachment.php

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
[/FONT]
“[Steak] is the soul of cooking". Chef Marie-Antoine Carême

[/FONT]

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have to go with grilling.

That said, I've been seen searing steaks in a blazing hot cast iron pan and, if needed, finishing in an oven.

Top Bottom