What's new

December Mess Hall Group Cookout - Theme: Comfort Food

Not different at all. Some of my most comforting times have been with my grandmother.

She used to watch me and my brother after school when we were younger, and on the colder winter evenings, she would make this beef noodle soup. It had this distinct star anise, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce flavor to it. There was always some blanched veggies to top it off with a sprinkling of green onions. I'm sure there were other things, but man was it wonderful. It was my version of hot dogs and Mac and cheese growing up. As soon as I smelled it, I remember I would drop whatever I was doing in the house and run to the kitchen to try and sneak some tastes while waiting for her to finish cooking.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I fondly remember both my grandmothers, and my maternal grandfather (my dad's father, whom I am named after, died a year before I was born). By all accounts, my namesake was a regular a hole. My maternal GF could of be a domineering person, too. Both were WWII vets, and both of my grandmothers worked in the war effort. Neither were over five foot tall, but both were forces to be reckoned with- they knew how to get things done. My mother was the same. As much as a jerk that my GF was, I remember one moment. I was living with my grandparents at the time. My GM was diabetic, and had an episode- she had to spend the night in th hospital. As we were leaving, my big bad GF got a little choked up, kissed his wife, and said he loved her. I had never seen this man do such a thing from him. It affected me positively. Sorry for rambling on, but it is a fond memory from a time that, today, seems foreign to us. I let my wife know, everyday, that I love her (even if she drives me crazy)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
She used to watch me and my brother after school when we were younger, and on the colder winter evenings, she would make this beef noodle soup. It had this distinct star anise, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce flavor to it. There was always some blanched veggies to top it off with a sprinkling of green onions. I'm sure there were other things, but man was it wonderful. It was my version of hot dogs and Mac and cheese growing up. As soon as I smelled it, I remember I would drop whatever I was doing in the house and run to the kitchen to try and sneak some tastes while waiting for her to finish cooking.
I am the same way with tomato soup and grilled cheese.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
To all, I don't think this thread is about accepted comfort food, but food we find comforting. For some, it may be saltines and frackers, for others sardines and mustard. What is your comfort food?

To all, I don't think this thread is about accepted comfort food, but food we find comforting. For some, it may be saltines and frackers, for others sardines and mustard. What is your comfort food?

I totally agree...comfort foods to me is the foods that you will always have that soft spot for. Those foods that u eat...and your day is instantly better let it be because of how heavy and delicious it is or how it reminds you of something wonderful and immediately brightens your day.

I think that is why we love comfort foods...it just makes us feel so dam good for whatever reasons..,

Btw Owen...my grandmother was tough as nails too...I think it was something about that generation. Actually the women in my family from my grandmother to my mom, to my fiancé, down to my sister in law seem to be the backbone of our family.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I totally agree...comfort foods to me is the foods that you will always have that soft spot for. Those foods that u eat...and your day is instantly better let it be because of how heavy and delicious it is or how it reminds you of something wonderful and immediately brightens your day.

I think that is why we love comfort foods...it just makes us feel so dam good for whatever reasons..,

Btw Owen...my grandmother was tough as nails too...I think it was something about that generation. Actually the women in my family from my grandmother to my mom, to my fiancé, down to my sister in law seem to be the backbone of our family.
Yes- these women weren't weak, they were tough as nails, so the men had to be even tougher. Another mess hall confession- one of my comfort foods is a peanut butter and mustard sandwich on white bread.

on exit: the women in my life were strong. When I looked for a wife, that is what I sought out. She can survive without me- the fact that she keeps me around is special. She may give me hell, but I like it.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

I totally agree...comfort foods to me is the foods that you will always have that soft spot for.

Comfort foods for me are foods that make you feel like you have gone back in time to a safe place....Home. A place where/when mom would make a pot of beans or a roast in the crock pot. She also made Scotcharoo's at Christmas that we all loved. I'll make some this Christmas and post a recipe, etc.

I've picked the veggie for the cookout, so now I need a meat (and a drink:yesnod:).

Grilled Cheese, Tomato Soup, Pickle, Salted potato chips.

Clubhouse Sandwich with chips and pickle (I see a pattern here).

Stew with Dumplings.

Chili with tortilla chips or garlic bread.

M&C Casserole

No family memories for my comfort food. Prefer the carnivorous concoctions of The Two Fat Ladies.

A.N. (Wilson)'s Slow Shoulder of Lamb
Two Fat Ladies series 1 episode 2 @21:44
Also in their cookbook Cooking With the Two Fat Ladies

Doesn't need whole lamb shoulder. I've done it with shoulder chops, shanks, legs, and ribs chops.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I will tell you guys what my comfort food is.....

Between Saturday 12-5-2015 and Sunday 12-13-2015
with pictures:001_smile

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I haven't quite decided yet what I'm going to fix. Should it be the good old junk food like:

proxy.php

Or the more wholesome chicken fried steak:

proxy.php

Or maybe the classic grilled cheese and 'mater soup:

proxy.php

Although when I did eat the grilled cheese and tomato soup the soup was in a cup where I could just sip it while watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUtVMkyTWcQ

Heck, that looks so good I may make all of them that week.

I'm sure there will be multiple entries of the same foods, but I believe that is perfectly okay.

Due to the schedule I have in December I will post mine now. This is Pho that I made today, the spice packet is toasted and added to the bag it comes with. I roasted the onions and ginger, add to 5 pounds of knuckle and marrow bones, then simmer for 4 hours. I put a chuck roast in to cook, to add to the soup later.

The basic recipe comes from http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup-pho.html

Attachments

• $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 50
  • $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 50
  • $3.jpg
    $3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 52
  • $4.jpg
    $4.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 51
  • $5.jpg
    $5.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 50
Looks great Mike. I had a pot of that on the stove all day today, definitely comfort food in this weather.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm cooking!

Thanks Aaron.

Tom

Good Man:thumbup1:

Thanks guys.

Comfort Food devotee's:

1. BubblesTGB
2. langod
3. DoctorShavegood
4. Brucered