What's new

December Mess Hall Group Cookout - Theme: Comfort Food

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Just so Steve is not alone posting early here is my cheese comfort food.
I blame Aaron for this due to this post......
Well, if it comes down to the wire on the kitchen mod...just take a picture of a pile of grated cheese. That's a favorite comfort food for everyone.

OK cheese and pickle onion with salt is comfort food for me. The hot sauce is because I'm a addict.
My farther would make pickled onions when I was young. Cheese and pickled onion sammies were flowing back then.
The pickled onions are from my first ever batch so this takes me back.

$20151110_162536.jpg

Just so Steve is not alone posting early here is my cheese comfort food.
I blame Aaron for this due to this post......

OK cheese and pickle onion with salt is comfort food for me. The hot sauce is because I'm a addict.
My farther would make pickled onions when I was young. Cheese and pickled onion sammies were flowing back then.
The pickled onions are from my first ever batch so this takes me back.

View attachment 614555

Years back my wife and i were taking the econo-train from Lisbon to Paris. This train was absolutely packed, people sleeping in the aisle, people on the floor of the compartments, jammed in like sardines, For nourishment on this +24hour trip we packed bread, cheese and raw onions, but no hot sauce, to make sandwiches with.

We were rank!
dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Years back my wife and i were taking the econo-train from Lisbon to Paris. This train was absolutely packed, people sleeping in the aisle, people on the floor of the compartments, jammed in like sardines, For nourishment on this +24hour trip we packed bread, cheese and raw onions, but no hot sauce, to make sandwiches with.

We were rank!
dave

I like cheese and raw onion sammies with just salt & pepper. I could do a +24hour train trip on that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Okay, I am in. If work gets in the way, then beans and ham hock in the crock pot with cornbread. If not, then Texas Red. If I am really lucky, both. If I am living on the edge, add Mac and cheese.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
How do you pickle the onions? Do you do the simple water and kosher salt, or do you get more complicated?

A bit more complicate but dead easy.

Peel then soaked the onions in a water & salt brine overnight. Rinse off and place in jars with a bay leaf.
heat vinegar, pickling spice (either store brand or make your own) and sugar. pour over onion.......
http://www.greggs.co.nz/recipes/pickled-onions

I made two batches, one with a blended pickling spice mix and one where I mixed my own. I used malt vinegar.
Both turned out nice and will be doing this again soon.

Wrong time of year for this sandwich, but the pickled onion sandwich makes me think of it.
My "comfort food" sandwich is a fresh tomato sandwich:

You need a nice ripe tomato, fresh from the garden and preferably still warm from the sun. Slice it into thick slices. Take some squishy white bread (has to be white, none of this hearty 7 grain, healthy business) and apply either: Mayo, salt and pepper OR a splash of vinegar, a sprinkle of oregano and some thin slices of cheddar. Put on the sun-warm tomatoes slices and top with the 2nd piece of bread. Mmmmmm.

Brings me back to summers of my childhood.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Comfort Food devotee's:

1. BubblesTGB
2. langod
3. DoctorShavegood
4. Brucered
5. Intrigued
6. otto76
7. Cleanshaved
8. Highball
9. SiBurning
10. Simon1
11. MrSpeedy
12. tims5377
13. jefhunter
14. oc_in_fw

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mac & Cheese

Well, I guess you couldn't wait. I don't blame you, I can't stop thinking about homemade banana pudding with nilla waffers.

Okay, I am in. If work gets in the way, then beans and ham hock in the crock pot with cornbread. If not, then Texas Red. If I am really lucky, both. If I am living on the edge, add Mac and cheese.

You are 0 for 2. If you are cut for time, just fry up some bacon.

All this talk of sandwiches and tomato's make me want grilled cheese and tomato soup. That is a comfort pair for me!

Like this? WE still have garden tomatoes to pull this off again.

We've dozens of backyard tomatoes scattered and ripening around the kitchen, what to do?

Cool weather classic at least up here, Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese.

My wife's soup... Tomatoes, peppers and onions were grilled and charred on the bbq prior to incorporating into the broth.

Fresh cheese tortellini's added to soup and finished with a dollop of Greek yogurt and the last leaves i could scrounge from the backyard Genovese Basil plants.

Grilled Cheese; Sourdough bread, Old English Cheddar, Parmesan Reggiano and cancer causing Canadian Bacon

proxy.php

dave

I'm a little different, I totally understand all the comfort foods u guys have been posting about...but for me...my favorite comfort food was this bowl of this Taiwanese braised beef noodle soup that my grandmother used to make. I'm going to have to ask my mom for the recipe one of these days.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm a little different, I totally understand all the comfort foods u guys have been posting about...but for me...my favorite comfort food was this bowl of this Taiwanese braised beef noodle soup that my grandmother used to make. I'm going to have to ask my mom for the recipe one of these days.
Not different at all. Some of my most comforting times have been with my grandmother.

Top Bottom