What's new

Help with Lather Please

Hello. So I have been face lathering. I keep getting this weird-feeling lather where it's not slick-I almost have to push the razor really hard to get it to go through the soap across my skin. And it skips. The blade skips like an inch or two every couple of inches I drag it across my face. Any suggestions? I have been using tallow-based soaps with a Rooney Pure Badger brush. I don't have hard water. Thanks!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Any pics of your lather too? Perhaps you just need to add more water?

Is it a really thick lather (paste) or fluffy?

I have been using Cella, Mike's, and CRSW, and Shave Revolution soap. I have added a lot of water as well as hardly any water. I am beginning to think it's my brush. I had slightly better results with my Shave Revolution Synthetic and Semogue 1250.

I have been using Cella, Mike's, and CRSW, and Shave Revolution soap. I have added a lot of water as well as hardly any water. I am beginning to think it's my brush. I had slightly better results with my Shave Revolution Synthetic and Semogue 1250.

Hard to imagine that your brush is the cause of your problems. Why not load your brush with soap and then make some lather in a bowl. Don't even think about shaving... just keep adding a couple of drops of water at a time to the lather to see how it changes. When it becomes glossy and slick it is ready to use. If you are able to grab a pic or two, that will help us to help you.

My guess is that you are not loading enough soap and therefore not able to make enough lather. Soap is cheap!

More water for slickness, but I suspect it's your blade.
You're not using Merkur blades are you? Those are the only blades that "skipped" for me.

Switch blades! You should not have to apply pressure to cut through your lather. In fact, you should use very little pressure.

Hard to imagine that your brush is the cause of your problems. Why not load your brush with soap and then make some lather in a bowl. Don't even think about shaving... just keep adding a couple of drops of water at a time to the lather to see how it changes. When it becomes glossy and slick it is ready to use. If you are able to grab a pic or two, that will help us to help you.

My guess is that you are not loading enough soap and therefore not able to make enough lather. Soap is cheap!
+1

I agree with this. More water and different blades.

More water for slickness, but I suspect it's your blade.
You're not using Merkur blades are you? Those are the only blades that "skipped" for me.

Switch blades! You should not have to apply pressure to cut through your lather. In fact, you should use very little pressure.

Top Bottom