What's new

How Do You Remove Old Shoe Polish?

No matter how sparingly I use shoe polish wax after awhile I need to remove built-up polish. I've a little Afta to remove the polish, but it is quite strong and I worry that it might harm the leather.

So, what do you use to strip off​ built-up polish?

90% isopropyl alcohol on an old cotton cloth.You should use a leather condition after,and let it soak in a few days,wipe off,then polish with wax...

proxy.php
proxy.php

strop

Now half as wise
I have heard of using lighter fluid. Verify that before trying. I would think, as in the first post, that this would really dry the leather, so some conditioner would be needed.

Here is August, 1954 Popular Mechanics magazine article: https://books.google.com/books?id=Z...e&q=lighter fluid to trip shoe polish&f=false

My Dad used lighter fluid to remove old polish. This was in the 60's. I don't ever remember him doing anything but a couple more coats of paste wax after that. Shoes were always nice and lasted him years with resoling and new heels.

I have heard of everything from rubbing alcohol to acetone to just use a terry towel and elbow grease.

I just recently (last week, in fact) started looking into better care for my shoes and boots, and the things I saw recomended most for polish removal was acetone (nail polish remover), or rubbing alcohol, used sparingly, on cotton balls, or those cotton discs for removing makeup. Let the leather dry for a bit after, recondition with your favorite cream/oil as usual, and polish/wax as usual.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I placed place a pair in a warm spot on a hot day to warm the leather up, then gave it a good rubbing with a rag. This got off what I need to so did not need to try anything else.

Found this video where they are using heat to remove the wax build up. Not suggesting to do this, just showing as is based on the same heat method I applied except I used the sun not a heat lamp.

If I need to do it again I will try as above. I think using some conditioner after you remove the polish would not go a miss what ever method you use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acetone listed as "polish remover" is for fingernail polish. It will often remove the finish on leather , many colors are literally painted on and are a top surface coating. Lighter fluid should be ok, just go over the shoes with some saddlesoap afterwards or one of the leather conditioners.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Turpentine works well for removing wax. As with lighter fluid it does dry/stiffen the leather a bit so a bit of conditioner would not go amiss.

Back in my early Army days (60s), we used to "spit shine" our boots/low quarters. When the polish built up/cracked, we used Carbon Tet to strip off the old polish. Didn't realize how bad it was for us!

Later, used Acetone. Never used a conditioner afterwards (just Kiwi) and never had a problem with the leather drying out on those Army issue
combat boots or low quarters.

I have a pair of Hermanos 'Flying Jodhpers' I wore as a cop in the late sixties and as dress shoes in the Army until 1991--the uppers are still in nice shape--

Last edited:
I placed place a pair in a warm spot on a hot day to warm the leather up, then gave it a good rubbing with a rag. This got off what I need to so did not need to try anything else.

Found this video where they are using heat to remove the wax build up. Not suggesting to do this, just showing as is based on the same heat method I applied except I used the sun not a heat lamp.

If I need to do it again I will try as above. I think using some conditioner after you remove the polish would not go a miss what ever method you use.

Melting can make the wax soak into the leather. When I was in USAF Officer Training School at San Antonio back in April-June of 1969 I can remembering going out onto the drill pad and literally seeking a nice spit polish shine literally melt into the leather from the heat of the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom