What's new

MTB park closed - riding in the WMA!

Had a little rain last night but I headed out to the off-road park for a bike ride as the website said the trails were open. Halfway there I checked again, and the park was closed. So I detoured to Babcock-Webb wildlife management area. I've ridden there a couple times before, including on opening day for Small Game season a few years ago. Today was the second day of General Gun season. Although I'd taken the mountain bike on the gravel grades before, I decided to stay on the paved road near the camping areas along the lake. About a quarter mile in, just past the last camping area, there were several vultures. They found the remains of a dressed deer along the road.

A couple paces away were the remains of a decapitated hog. Just wanted the head, I guess. Must have knocked the beer can out of the bed of the truck when rolling the carcass out.

Last edited:
I turned around and something in the water caught my eye.

Loads of gators in the waters here!
I jumped on my bike and headed down the smooth paved road.

I rode 10 miles, five out and back, and took a break at a picnic bench. Beautiful day!

I went out a second time. By the time I got back, the vultures had picked the rib cage clean...

...and somebody had dumped another deer carcass.

So many recreational activities available here, and I look forward to coming back for both road and offroad cycling, but it was a little disappointing to see some of the mess on only the second day of the season.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Florida statutes on hunting, or the rules pertaining to activities in WMAs, but it just didn't look right. The other thing that didn't look right was the toilet paper in the bushes across the road from the camping area with full facilities less than 100 yards away.

Top Bottom