What's new

2 knife questions

Hi guys, I carry a pocket knife every day and while I do not do any heavy work with it, I would like a really nice one that is very durable and built to last. I have a Buck knife that my uncle gave me when I was a kid with a wood handle and my initials and birthday engraved on it, and while I carried that for a long time the engraving is starting to fade and part of the wood handle chipped. I figured it was time to retire that one and keep it as a special keepsake so I went with a Kershaw Chive after seeing the glowing reviews and loved the idea of the assisted opening mechanism. However, my first one's safety broke, so I sent it back and they sent me a new one and now the second one's opening mechanism is shot. So I'm not very impressed with Kershaw to say the least. My question is this: I see a lot about Benchmade and Spyderco knives on forums and they seem to be very well made and well worth the price. I'm looking at the basic Benchmade Griptilian and the Spyderco Manix 2. Which one should I go with? I'm currently leaning towards the Spyderco because of the lower cost and look. Does this company make good knives? My second question is: what is that hole in the blade for on the Manix? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...446941110&ref_=sr_1_1&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-551...46941204&sr=1-1&keywords=benchmade+griptilian

Legion

Staff member
Hi guys, I carry a pocket knife every day and while I do not do any heavy work with it, I would like a really nice one that is very durable and built to last. I have a Buck knife that my uncle gave me when I was a kid with a wood handle and my initials and birthday engraved on it, and while I carried that for a long time the engraving is starting to fade and part of the wood handle chipped. I figured it was time to retire that one and keep it as a special keepsake so I went with a Kershaw Chive after seeing the glowing reviews and loved the idea of the assisted opening mechanism. However, my first one's safety broke, so I sent it back and they sent me a new one and now the second one's opening mechanism is shot. So I'm not very impressed with Kershaw to say the least. My question is this: I see a lot about Benchmade and Spyderco knives on forums and they seem to be very well made and well worth the price. I'm looking at the basic Benchmade Griptilian and the Spyderco Manix 2. Which one should I go with? I'm currently leaning towards the Spyderco because of the lower cost and look. Does this company make good knives? My second question is: what is that hole in the blade for on the Manix? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...446941110&ref_=sr_1_1&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-551...46941204&sr=1-1&keywords=benchmade+griptilian

Spyderco are pretty well regarded, you could do a lot worse. The hole they call a Spyderhole, you put your thumb in it to flip the blade open one handed.

I've been carrying a SOG for a while now and I like it a lot. Keeps its edge forever. Much better than my Kershaw. I don't carry my benchmade much since it's an automatic. No experience with Spyderco so can't say how they compare.

Last edited:
I have 2 of the Manix 2's and have been carrying those a lot lately----have a couple Grips too but hardly ever use them, if I do its the Mini instead of the full sized.

I've never used a Spyderco knife, but I've heard nothing but good regarding them.

As far as your Buck knife, all their knives come with a "Forever Warranty". You could likely get it fixed up for little cost.

I have a few Spyderco knives and one Benchmade; both are excellent choices, so it really comes down to your preference in aesthetics and blade characteristics - you cannot make a wrong decision with either choice.

Here is the current stable of pocket knives:
Spyderco Domino
Spyderco Caly3
Spyderco Tasman Salt - SE
Spyderco Native 5 Forum PE
Spyderco Manix2 Lightweight
Spyderco Ladybug - PE
Spyderco Ladybug Salt - Hawkbill PE
Spyderco Ladybug Salt - Hawkbill SE
Spyderco Tuff
Benchmade Osborne 810-401 Contego

Spyderco knives are the sharpest knives I've ever dealt with out of the box. Slice the hair right off my arm with effort. Superior quality knives. I highly recommend them.

That's a real toss up. The spiderco is a real winner and everything by benchmade is a home run. You won't go wrong with either one. I give a slight nod to the spider for its non serrated edge. You say you have been carrying your buck since childhood. Why not get another Buck? I am going to add another and that's the great eastern cutlery line of knives. If you like your buck I think you will love them. Many patterns and outstanding quality. Good luck!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Spidercos are great knives, have had several models. Scales are slim making them easy to carry, but not as comfortable for heavy cutting chores. My EDC is two full sized Benchmade Griptilions. Their thicker grips are more comfortable to use, but a bit bulkier in the pocket. They are very solid knives. I've never had a Spyderco break or malfunction in any way, but during heavy cutting chores they seem to have a bit of later flexion that I'm not entirely comfortable with. Of course any folder will have less lateral rigidity than a fixed blade knife, but I feel fairly comfortable with my Griptilions during reasonable lateral stresses. Both of my grips have plain edges, no serrations, I hate serrations except for cutting rope. One has a drop point blade and the other a modified sheep's foot blade, the latter of which I find the most useful for everyday cutting chores.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Your Buck is probably still being made. They have several hollowground folding models that have been around forever. If it was me I think I would want to keep carrying the same model. They are good basic pocketknives and wont break the bank. And they look the way a gentlemans pocketknife should look. Maybe get two, one for work/hobby, and one for off work. Even a Buck can only take just so much use as a prybar screwdriver scraper or chisel.

Note that Spyderco makes knives both in the U.S. and in Taiwan. I've had several of the former and one of the latter, and I had some problems with the blade chipping. It was made with a different alloy than my other Spyderco knives and didn't hold up.

If you go that way, look for a made-in-the-US knife.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Your Buck is probably still being made. They have several hollowground folding models that have been around forever. If it was me I think I would want to keep carrying the same model. They are good basic pocketknives and wont break the bank. And they look the way a gentlemans pocketknife should look. Maybe get two, one for work/hobby, and one for off work. Even a Buck can only take just so much use as a prybar screwdriver scraper or chisel.

I meant one for work/hobby, and one for leisure/dress.

i carry a SOG trident tanto, been carrying it since the summer of 2008. couldnt have asked for a better knife. always sharp, to most people. when my blade is dull, others still say its sharp. this knife helped my through vehicle extrications, 3 months camping and rugged living, many many drops, abuse, and still came back swinging. ive even dropped it point down on concret and it had some damage but nothing that couldnt be repaired. the knife i have comes with a reversable low carry clip with free replacment, free resharp/regrind, the knife is assisted opening, comes with a lock, and cord cutting notch. i paid 60 dollars for mine and never go anywere without it. i have no experiance with either spyderco or benchmade, but i did see something about benchmade stealing ideas from spyderco. either way, my 2 cents.

Sypdercos and Benchmades are essentially equal in quality. There are models on each brand that would trump one another- you have to evaluate this. If I were you I would instead spend a little more and get a Chris Reeve Sebenza.

I like the small buck folders too. However I have really small fixed blade from Bark River that is my daily knife. Their knives use some of the best steels and have an amazing assortment of handle materials. Kinda the bridge between factory and full on custom.

When I carry (I'm in and out of court a lot these days), it's a Spyderco Endura 4. Mine has the stainless scales: less traction, but less scary-looking, too.

I also own a Benchmade Griptillian with the Spyderco-style round hole instead of the post (personal preference). A fine knife, but the hole is smaller, and the grips fatter, so it's harder to open. I have no complaints about the quality of the Benchmade, it just doesn't fit my hand. You can't go wrong with either brand.

Top Bottom