What's new

Great value casual sox for less than $2

For years I have worn wool blend hiking sox similar to Smartwool sox sold at Costco for casual wear during the fall and winter. Pretty good sox for the price.

Some sox caught my attention on the Sierra Trading Post site. They are a near mid-calf crew sock Classic Ragg sock made my Fox River in the USA for less than $2. Frequently you can find a coupon for $.99 shipping or free shipping coupons if you do a web search.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fo...92d/?filterString=s~fox-river/&colorFamily=01

47% Cotton
37% Primaloft
9% Acrylic
6% Nylon
1% Spandex

I was somewhat skeptical about the high cotton content but threw in 2 pair with an order.

VERY comfortable, medium to heavy weight, nicely (sweater cuffed) ribbed and decently padded foot bed. I am a size 11.5-12 medium shoe size and they fit me perfectly. They were plenty long in the foot bed and hit me near mid calf.

I have worn them on my morning hike when the temperature was 32F in a pair of trail shoes and my feet were toasty warm and comfortable. I have worn them around the house in slippers and to bed and they have kept the chill out. They wash up very well and retained their shape. I ordered 10 more pair. I don't know how they will perform when the weather gets really cold but they are a great fall-early winter sock. Good to wear with jeans, chinos, or even athletic pants.

Last edited:
Not trying to hijack the thread but I found another value sock that some may want to consider. While shopping for something else at the Dollar Tree I bought a pair of these socks on a lark, in part to see how bad they were for $1. Perhaps it was the result of low expectations, but I was surprised at how comfortable they were to wear. They felt true to size in that my shoe size is near the mid point of what is shown on the label. I typically wear a medium/D width shoe and these socks were a little bit wider than most which made them feel more comfortable, like they were not being worn. No constricting feeling like is found with generic department store socks.

I also have some Darn Tough (large) and Allen Edmonds Merino Wool (two different sizes) and Happy Feet (10-13) and while all those socks are better quality, these $1 socks are not bad and in some ways are more comfortable. I don't have any long term usage to report, but I went back and bought a few more pairs to include in the weekly sock rotation. Backside of the label indicates they are 65% Polyester, 28% Cotton, and 7% Olefin, exclusive of elastic.
$DollarTree-Mens-Socks.jpg

But how are they when it comes to wicking the sweat away ?

That was my concern in that they had a 47% cotton content. I really didn't expect much when I purchased these socks, but was curious from reading the good reviews. To my surprise I have not experienced that cold clammy cotton feeling I get with cotton. Perhaps the primaloft polyester at 37% in the blend is enough to offset the poor characteristics of cotton. It is a surprise to me.

Will have to take a look at those Dollar Tree socks. Sometimes you can get some products that work above the pay grade. Dollar Tree salsa bowls @ 2/$1 are great shave bowls!

I wear the Smartwool sock liners year round,simply because I work outside in this southern heat and humidity. At the end of the day when I pull off my boots the Smartwool has wicked all the sweat from my feet into my outer sock. My feet are nice and dry. Plus, no blisters !

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I wear the Smartwool sock liners year round,simply because I work outside in this southern heat and humidity. At the end of the day when I pull off my boots the Smartwool has wicked all the sweat from my feet into my outer sock. My feet are nice and dry. Plus, no blisters !

Huh, I will have to check those out- I could use something like that almost all year around down here. Thanks for the info, and Roll Tide (I lived in Pell City from 76-80)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oh ... "ess OH ex".

Well, that makes for a less controversial thread title.

Top Bottom