What's new

Glock 43 vs. Kahr PM9

Hey all. So I have narrowed my new CCW down to these two. I'm leaning towards the Glock as I love Glocks. The only reason I would choose the Kahr is reduced weight. I'm worried about the Kahr trigger. Never fired one. Can anyone comment on the reliability and trigger pull of the Kahr in comparision to the Glock? Thanks!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think the PM9 is will be as reliable as the 43. What I like about the Glock 43 over the Kahr is it is a little longer in the barrel and slide than the Kahr PM9. I think this gives it a better balance and feel, it also gives it just a tad bit more sight radius and better muzzle control.

I also think it would tuck better for inside the pant carry since there is more slide to stick further in the pants. considering it is the grip portion of the pistol that needs to be concealable.

I have been researching making the upgrade from .380 to 9mm for the Mrs. Probably gonna trade in her Ruger LCP for the Glock 43.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The kahr trigger is very revolver like. I prefer it to the glock to carry. The glock trigger is what it is, but lighter than the kahr

Most of Glocks are listed as a 5.5 lb pull, but everything I have read on the 43, says it's pull is around 7 lbs, even though it is listed a 5.5 also.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have the Kahr PM 9 and love it. It is a bit more compact than the Glock 43. The PM9 trigger pull is long but smooth, I found that I adapted to it fairly quickly with practice. The PM9 is significantly more expensive than the G 43. Both guns are worth a look and reliable performers. Pick which ever suits you.

If you are already enamored with Glock, stick with the platform. Kahr reliability has been spotty relative to Glock in many higher round count training classes. The G43 trigger is reported as being heavier than its G26, 19, 17 and 34 counterparts. However, Glock triggers tend to lighten a bit over time with shooting/dry firing.

The trigger on the Kahr is accurately described above a "revolver like." As a result, it can be "short stoked" and not reset preventing the next shot going offf. The Glock trigger reset is much shorter, tactile, audible and repeatable. A surmountable training issue to be sure, but an issue nevertheless.

Accessories, holsters, replacement parts etc. are much easier to obtain for a Glock than the Kahr.

I have the Kahr CM9, and I like it for the most part, but I am considering moving to the Glock 43.
The good things about the Kahr are: it is very small and easy to conceal, it shoots well and functions reliably, and it has a very smooth trigger pull. The negatives in my opinion are: the trigger pull is quite long, chambering a round can be problematic if not done correctly, and the metal floorplate on the magazines can be a bit sharp and dig into your side when carrying.
The issue with chambering a round is because Kahr recommends locking the slide to the rear, inserting the magazine, and using the slide release to chamber a round. If you try to chamber a round just by racking the slide, it will often fail to go completely into battery. I imagine this is because the gun is so small that it requires a very stiff recoil spring. Racking the CM9 slide is quite difficult in general.
Personally, I prefer the Glock trigger, and I haven't heard of any issues with chambering a round in the G43.
I would recommend going to a range that has them available to rent, shoot them both, and then decide which one you are more comfortable with.

Don't have a G43, but shoot and carry a handful of Glocks. Have a handful of Kahrs, used to carry them a bunch. Don't like the exposed slide lock, I shoot thumbs forward, and never could get used to the bulky slide lock. Don't really shoot them much anymore, as they don't get carried much.

I have eave been carrying/shooting the heck out of my Ruger LC9s, and it gets my vote over the G43/PM9.

disclaimer: I have no experience with the Kahr PM9 nor any other Kahrs

I agree with dojpros. My Gf's family is by far and away a Glock family. I grew up shooting steel framed pistols (several sigs and 1911's among others) and they've semi-converted me. I now own a G19, G30 and indirectly (through her) a G43. The controls are quite relatable to other Glocks. Familiarity with these plus, a positive purchase on a gen 4 frame is going to instill confidence in a CC scenario. I have noticed the SLIGHTEST difference in the 43 trigger over my others, but it's quite familiar and extremely similar to the others. I honestly believe the only reason I can tell the difference (she can't), is because I have a range of triggers at my muscle memory's disposal. If you own/shoot other Glocks, get the Glock.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
PM9 is very concealable and reliable. The G43 may do better with a high round count, but pocket pistols don't get the use, typically, that full-size ones do.

Which feels better in your pocket? and try to shoot both. Whip can be significant in micros.

AA

I have a CM9 and it fits neatly in my pocket -- with a decent holster it appears no more threatening than a cell phone. So it goes just about everywhere with me.

But Ad Astra nails it: with +P ammo and a 3-inch barrel, it's snappy. I don't shoot it for fun ...

AA[/QUOTE]

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have a CM9 and it fits neatly in my pocket -- with a decent holster it appears no more threatening than a cell phone. So it goes just about everywhere with me.

When I took my PM9 for its "break in" round - think I shot six boxes of ammo (you need 500 rounds through it, I think). Wound up asking fellow shooters to help shoot it to break it in! My hands got tired. Do have Hogue grip sleeve on it. And it gets carried a lot.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I won't say that my PM9 isn't snappy with +P ammo, but I was very surprised initially at how controllable it was. I have shot larger .380s that were snappier.

The Kahr trigger is, a Kahr trigger, very long as earlier stated "revolver like", but not a fluid smooth action like you would find in a nicely broken in revolver.

Glock has become somewhat of the gold standard of micro-autos. I like my G26 very much and it (like most Glocks) is as reliable as a brick.
Talk about "snappy", I also own a S&W Shield in .40; that is not an all-day pistol. It will wear you out after 50-60 rounds for sure. Then again, it isn't designed as a "plinker".

I guess I would go with the Glock. Had the Model 43 been around when I purchased the Shield, I almost for certain would have gone that route.

Top Bottom