What's new

Fuller restoration

Well enough thinking about it and time to start doing. I've been kicking around the idea of restoring a vintage brush but never seem to get around to it. I love seeing pics of the beautiful restored brushes some member have. Well here's is my first attempt.

I love the colors of this brush and the marbling in the handle. I am still undecided as to which knot to go with. I am thinking a TGN finest. Aesthetically I think a boar might be better. A blonde boar would also be more original.

This project is far from complete. I will update this thread as I make progress. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 613194View attachment 613195

Made some progress today. I think its ready for a knot.

I removed the knot by drilling it out. I then buffed the handle with steel wool. I also used 800 sandpaper on the opening of the handle to smooth things out.

$photo(7).JPG$photo(9).JPG$photo(10).JPG

You should be happy with the results. That is very well done. Can't wait to see that one knotted. Very well done.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Wow! That polish job is top notch for sure! What did you use to polish it?

Thanks for the compliments guys. I used a low speed buffing wheel with 2 polishing/rubbing compounds. One for cleaning the small marks from the steel wool and the other to bring out the shine.

I love the colors of this brush and the marbling in the handle. I am still undecided as to which knot to go with. I am thinking a TGN finest. Aesthetically I think a boar might be better. A blonde boar would also be more original.

View attachment 613194View attachment 613195

That's a great handle and a really fine job on the prep and polishing. I highly recommend the TGN finest knots. I've restored several handles with them, and I've also done a good number of handles with other knots, and I find the TGN finest to be about the best performing knots I've found. It would look and perform great in your handle, if you decide to go that way.

We'll need finished pics, of course.:thumbup1:

I ordered a 24 mm TGN Finest Bulb for this brush. I like 2 band badgers and this is a good knot. Once it arrives I will start adding weight to the handle. After cleaning it, I was left with just a "shell". I could just add cork and set the knot, but I feel a little added weight would add to the feel/balance of the brush.

One of my favorite handles. Curious to see the proportions with the 24 mm knot. I used a 22 mm Finest bulb in a Rubberset 203 (Same colors and, I think, size.), and I could have easily gone bigger, I think. It is one of 2 handles I regret letting go.

Last edited:
It was between a 22mm and 24mm. I prefer brushes in the 24-26 range. I hope 24 isn't too big. The handle size is very similar to my EJ XL which I believe has a 25mm knot.

From the picture it appears that you would have no trouble opening up the handle to accommodate a 24 mm knot. Maybe even more.

Well here it is.... I went with a 24mm TGN Finest bulb. I set it at 50mm. Set in silicone for now. I filled the hollow handle with putty epoxy and that turned out great. It added some weight and the handle feels very solid. The total weight of the brush with knot is 78 grams. The second pic is a picture of a few of my brushes to give you an idea of the size. Usually vintage brushes are a little small for my tastes but this one feels about right. I can't wait to give it a try tomorrow.

EJ XL 25mm - 86 grams
Shavemac 23mm - 61 grams
Fuller 24mm - 78 grams
Pav Tulip 26mm WSP - 70 grams

View attachment 615490$photo(6).jpg$photo(7).jpg
View attachment 615493

Here it is post bloom. I am REALLY happy with this brush. It turned out really nice. I love the weight/ balance of the handle. It doesn't feel like cheap plastic. I also love the knot and loft. The knot has soft tips. The 2 band offers a little more back bone. With the loft I went higher than the "magical" 2:1 ratio and its turned out great. The knot still has some back bone but is not a lather hog.

$11-17-2015.jpg
$photo(3)_edited-2.jpg

That is really outstanding. Beautiful handle and a great knot choice. A very compelling case for a quality restore: knot quality that would cost many times more in a finished brush, and the awesome handle, not available at any price, except through your own craftsmanship. Well done.

That is really outstanding. Beautiful handle and a great knot choice. A very compelling case for a quality restore: knot quality that would cost many times more in a finished brush, and the awesome handle, not available at any price, except through your own craftsmanship. Well done.

Right the mark with these comments. What a nice job you did on that restore/remake it looks fantastic and the polish work is impressive. Looks like it will be a very good brush to use - one all the more special as you did it yourself.

Top Bottom