What's new

Wallet Recommendations

I disagree that you get what you pay for, that sounds like a salesman's line in order to charge more. Inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean cheap. The only inherent difference betweeen a well-stiched $12.99 leather wallet and a well-stiched $100 leather wallet is $87.01.
Wrong....

Have you ever owned a well stitched, handmade wallet? I have yet to see a well stitched $12.99 wallet and I looked for a long time.

My Popov wallets are the best wallets I have ever seen and a couple of the best Haberdashery investments I have ever made (along with a Filson canvass manpurse). They are built like tanks and will save me from rebuying a new Winners or TJ Maxx Wallet every two years when they fall apart.

I never thought I'd spend $50+ on a wallet, let along two of them (bifolf and front pocket), but have nothing but praise for them.

Made in Canada, B&B Artisan, gentleman to deal with, you can emboss them for $5 (I should have done both), runs fabulous contests and gives discounts and will come in well under the OP's budget max of $100. I checked with a few others who had purchased them, before taking the plunge, and everyone had nothing but positive things to say about them.

Popov's 6 card holder can hold 12 cards + and has a bill slot, all for under $100. Chromexcel leather that forms to your cards (no cards falling out), water resistant, stitching as tough as nails. No zippers, but great quality, hand-made product. You can have them personalized if you wish. I've got a couple of their wallets and few other items they make. Highly recommend.

They're a B&B vendor too. :)

THIS.

And don't forget, you can customize the wallet from different color leathers, mix and match leathers for inside/out and select various colors for stitching.

I've lost all interest I had for Saddleback and will be adding a Field Notes to my bag soon.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1446952409294.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1446952409294.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 153
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1446952501055.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1446952501055.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Wrong....

Have you ever owned a well stitched, handmade wallet? I have yet to see a well stitched $12.99 wallet and I looked for a long time.

My Popov wallets are the best wallets I have ever seen and a couple of the best Haberdashery investments I have ever made (along with a Filson canvass manpurse). They are built like tanks and will save me from rebuying a new Winners or TJ Maxx Wallet every two years when they fall apart.

I never thought I'd spend $50+ on a wallet, let along two of them (bifolf and front pocket), but have nothing but praise for them.

Made in Canada, B&B Artisan, gentleman to deal with, you can emboss them for $5 (I should have done both), runs fabulous contests and gives discounts and will come in well under the OP's budget max of $100. I checked with a few others who had purchased them, before taking the plunge, and everyone had nothing but positive things to say about them.

THIS.

And don't forget, you can customize the wallet from different color leathers, mix and match leathers for inside/out and select various colors for stitching.

I've lost all interest I had for Saddleback and will be adding a Field Notes to my bag soon.

Yes, I own a handmade, well-stiched wallet. My latest one is going on ~7 years, and the one before held up well for over a decade. It just came from Walmart and cost $12.99. I do like the option to pick the colors, that is pretty nifty.

Investments are things you buy which go up in value. It's not exactly appropriate to apply this to a wallet, which will only decrease in value.

Something I ran across about chromoexcel leather from another pricey waller retailer (Popov uses this)

"Chromexcel leather will scratch, scuff, and dent easily, which leads to a beautiful refined ruggedness. It's all part of the life of leather. These scratches quickly develop a wallet into one that might be a lot like your grandfather's-- loved and used for many years. Scuffs will eventually smooth out through normal use, but we can definitely speed up the process with this method." ( https://www.ashlandleather.com/Articles.asp?ID=256 the guy really messes up a wallet with his thumbnail)

Yes, I own a handmade, well-stiched wallet. My latest one is going on ~7 years, and the one before held up well for over a decade. It just came from Walmart and cost $12.99.

You were luckier then I ever was. I went through so many Swiss Army, Ben Sherman and Timberland type leather wallets that frayed and came apart months or a year after use.

I actually had a back up that I just had sitting in a desk. When I pulled it out a year or two after buying, it pretty much fell apart when I picked it up. I think the leather dried out, it was pathetically poor made but full Grain leather and name brand.

I don't consider my wallets investments per say. I don't expect them to increase in value, I just expect them to last longer then cheaper wallets, given their cost...that is what I meant by investment. One high quality, higher cost Wallet (and man purse), that may cost 3x as much as I'd normally spend on one but will last 4-5x as long or longer, this making them a better investment in the long run.

Last edited:
The reason I swear by Popov is because it's the last wallet I should ever need to buy. If you've tired of "throw away consumerism", this is a great starting point for change. I'm not being a fan boy here either. There is no saying there isn't an equal level of quality, hand stitched, life-time guarantee wallets out there. Saddleback looks to be of similar build quality.. But I'm not sure, because I've never had experience with them to really have an opinion. I just own a few Popov products and see them to be the answer of my dilemma with garbage wallets that span maybe a couple/few years. More $$ isn't better. There are $300 hand made wallets out there that will make you regret your purchase pretty quick. Less $$ upfront is probably worse. You can spend $300 in a lifetime on cheap wallets too. $50- $70 for a wallet that is built to last a lifetime, is far from something worth arguing about. We've all owned wallets here. No, it's not an "investment" per say... But it is good money management. No matter which brand you choose that can offer the same or better results.

Still deciding... but right now I am pretty sure it is going to be a Popov. I have an email sent to him asking a question... that will decide

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wrong....

THIS.

Popov makes a front pocket wallet? I think I am interested now. I stopped wearing a wallet in the back pocket years ago, as they would knock my sacrum out of alignment.

I have been rocking the Superior Titanium mini-VIPER Titanium money clip for about 2 1/2 years. It's a great minimalist money clip. Now I am looking for something different and have my eye on the Mitchell Money Clip Wallet, either in CXL or Dublin.

http://shop.mitchell-leather.com/Famous-Money-Clip-Wallets_c6.htm

It's holds cards and cash, just worried that it may be too thick even carrying only 5 cards and a small amount of cash.

I currently have the Mitchell Money Clip Wallet and at the present time I carry eight cards and several bills.........no problem with the thickness...........

I have several Saddleback products. They are built to last several lifetimes . . . .your kids and grandkids will fight for it! They are located in the Fort Worth, TX area and provide excellent service. I also have a Orvis wallet and matching checkbook cover that I am still using for over 20 years. They both look like "brand new"! Highly recommend both Saddleback and Orvis! Ed

I currently have the Mitchell Money Clip Wallet and at the present time I carry eight cards and several bills.........no problem with the thickness...........

I am currently using a Z Clip Wallet. It is 100% graphite and I carry eight cards and numerous bills (never counted how many, but I would say up ten bills). Very happy with the clip and I rarely carry my leather wallets any more. Ed

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have several Saddleback products. They are built to last several lifetimes . . . .your kids and grandkids will fight for it! They are located in the Fort Worth, TX area and provide excellent service. I also have a Orvis wallet and matching checkbook cover that I am still using for over 20 years. They both look like "brand new"! Highly recommend both Saddleback and Orvis! Ed
They are in Fort Worth? That seals it.

I've had a Saddleback Front Pocket ID wallet for several years now. It was tight at first, but is broken in well now. I like the Id-window for my driver's license.

proxy.php

My Nautica Leather bi fold from Stein Mart is going on 12 years, carried every day, and I should get another 5-10 out of it the way it is holding up.

Best $19 I have ever spent.

Top Bottom