What's new

Nib Acquisitions, November 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
James:
I'm waiting on a 3oz bottle of Noodler's 'Bulletproof' (the company's term for waterproof, bleach proof, forgery-proof, and fast-drying qualities), Black Ink! [FONT=&amp]

$Noodles Black Ink - Waterproof.jpg

:syn:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ink is meditation in liquid form. So, don’t think it…ink it”! CBJ[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

My local antique mall had their fall open house today (free wine & cheese, many dealer discounts). I didn't find any pens, but I did pick up a half-filled bottle of vintage Sheaffer Skrip Persian Rose #104 fountain pen ink. I had never heard of this particular color before, but it looked nice in the bottle. I got it home and did a couple of ink swabs and some sample scribbles with a dipped pen. Very, very nice...a dusky dark rose. Not quite as dark as Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses, but leaning in that direction. About the closest modern ink color I could find is Diamine Amaranth.

Apparently this ink is quite desirable and full bottles have sold for premium prices. There seems to be considerable color variation in the different samples I've seen online, but I'm quite happy with this one.
-----------
Quick iPhone sample photo. Probably not 100% color accuracy but close.
$Persian Rose Ink Sample.jpg

Last edited:
Waterman Serenity Blue, Waterman Inspired Blue, and a Rhodia legal pad. Not a bad haul for Fountain Pen Day. Another pen would be nice though, and appropriate as well.

$image.jpg
Kaweco Rollerball showed up today. Gunmetal Grey finish. Nice writer and perfect for what I intended it for.

Picked up the Midori Travelers Notebook (full size) along with the elastic repair kit, thin paper notebook, lined notebook, plastic pocket, and business card holder.

I made 4 additional holes in the leather to add an additional piece of elastic band. I saw someone else do this on YouTube and it allows for significantly easier removal of single notebooks vs the "official" Midori way of rubberbanding the inserts together.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446921372.821083.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446921381.854935.jpg

I scored the little Majestic lever filler on eBay several days ago and kind of forgot about it for a while. It arrived yesterday, and I just finished cleaning it up, replacing the sac, and grinding the broken nib down into a stub. I thought the material looked familiar and then I realized it's the same celluloid pattern and color as the new custom pen I ordered from Carl Fisher on Thursday! Carl had lucked into some vintage celluloid rods and crafted the new pen earlier this week. :w00t:

Majestic
$IMG_2983.jpg $IMG_2985.jpg

Carl Fisher Custom (vintage Celluloid)

$12187686_10207047874095802_1298954534161017316_n.jpg

Sweet looking pen Tom! I need to try one of those...especially if it is a wet writer (just the kind I like).

I scored the little Majestic lever filler on eBay several days ago and kind of forgot about it for a while. It arrived yesterday, and I just finished cleaning it up, replacing the sac, and grinding the broken nib down into a stub. I thought the material looked familiar and then I realized it's the same celluloid pattern and color as the new custom pen I ordered from Carl Fisher on Thursday! Carl had lucked into some vintage celluloid rods and crafted the new pen earlier this week. :w00t:

Majestic
View attachment 613993 View attachment 613992

Carl Fisher Custom (vintage Celluloid)

View attachment 613996

Those are beauties, Larry!

I Picked this up Saturday, good price with a smooth F nib. With Noodlers Liberty Elysium it is a wet writer, which makes it an almost M nib. It is a Schrade Tactical Fountain Pen brown color which is almost a copper color.

Tom

That is great looking, Tom. I have only ever seen them in black.

Does it take a #6 nib?

I made a few purchases/shipments come in this month already that have gone unreported:

1x Bottle Noodler's Purple Heart
1x Bottle Noodler's Elysium Blue
2x Monteverde 1.1mm Nib (1x black, 1x chrome)
1x Clairefontaine Classic Clothbound (8.27 x 11.69)
1x Clairefontaine Triomphe A5 tabled w/ 25 C6 Clairefontaine envelopes

The Clairefontaine notebook was a Goulet bottom shelf that I saw and grabbed because I had been interested in trying the smaller version of the books. It had some scratches on the cover, but paper was completely fine inside. The binding seems sturdy, but the covers are thin, which contributes to the scratches and cosmetic blemishes to the cover. Still a great buy, and it came in my favorite color! If this was bound at the top like a tablet I think I would have absolutely loved it. (I think all their top bound are staple or wire?)

One of the 1.1mm nibs has already seen a lot of action this week in a Monteverde Invincia. This little guy has been laying a lot of ink down with Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

The item I think I am most pleased with, as silly and small as it seems, is the A5 stationery tablet. I had some time to scribble on it while the computers at work were on the fritz, and I am impressed. Even with the pen mentioned above spreading the ink thick, there is almost zero show through, but it is still thin enough to use a lined template behind it if you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom