What's new

Nib Acquisitions, November 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up two vintage Esterbrooks today

Paid $37ish for the pair. Not sure if it's a good deal, but I'm happy, so that's the main thing

Just picked up two vintage Esterbrooks today

Paid $37ish for the pair. Not sure if it's a good deal, but I'm happy, so that's the main thing
Esterbrooks are great little pens. They were never fancy, but they were well-made and built to last. $37 isn't a bad price, particularly if they're in writing condition.

What nibs do they have? There's a number on the nib that identifies the type.

Esterbrooks are great little pens. They were never fancy, but they were well-made and built to last. $37 isn't a bad price, particularly if they're in writing condition.

What nibs do they have? There's a number on the nib that identifies the type.

The gray one is 9450, and the green one is 9668

Birthday package from the parents had a new Greek fisherman's cap, a Punktal DE with the hexagon handle and the OC/SE head and this pen. Pretty rough looking and the plunger is stuck but will probably send it off to Danny Fudge to see if he thinks it is worth trying to clean up.

Birthday package from the parents had a new Greek fisherman's cap, a Punktal DE with the hexagon handle and the OC/SE head and this pen. Pretty rough looking and the plunger is stuck but will probably send it off to Danny Fudge to see if he thinks it is worth trying to clean up.

Looks like an inexpensive German school pen. I'm sure Danny can fix it up for you. Many of these pens have nice, semi-flexible nibs. Congrats and happy birthday! :happybday:

Been stalking this one for awhile. Smaller than I expected but a perfect pocket pen.

Attachments

• $IMG_0079.jpg
    $IMG_0079.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 94
Looks like an inexpensive German school pen. I'm sure Danny can fix it up for you. Many of these pens have nice, semi-flexible nibs. Congrats and happy birthday! :happybday:

Thanks! I gently tried to get it to loosen up last night and found out it is a piston filler with a wonderful semi-flex nib!

Thanks! I gently tried to get it to loosen up last night and found out it is a piston filler with a wonderful semi-flex nib!
Is the piston functional now? Sometimes it just needs a good soaking to clear out the crud and refresh the piston seal.

A little over a week ago, a gentleman posted some photos on a Facebook group of a pen he had just crafted. I fell in love with the pen, and by the end of the day, I had sent him my credit card information. The pen arrived yesterday and I'm in love! :tongue_sm

The maker, Carl Fisher (Fisher of Pens, www.fisherofpens) had scored some vintage (1930s-40s) celluloid blanks. It just so happened that I had seen this particular pattern before and really, really liked it!

The pen is 5 1/2 inches capped, clipless (which is fine with me since I doubt I'll be carrying it in my pocket, has a cartridge/converter filler, and a #6 Jowo medium steel nib (very smooth!).

Larry is a very happy camper today!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And, just by coincidence, about two weeks ago I snagged a little Majestic lever-filler off eBay for a few dollars. It's exactly the same celluloid material. They make a nice little pair!

proxy.php

Great looking pens Larry!
Just some ink pick ups for my some more blues. Private Reserve Midnight Blue and I broke down and ordered Iroshizuki kon-peki

Beautiful pen! Let us know how it performs.

First couple times writing with it today and initially less than impressed. Quite a few dry starts. I'm hoping it's just a growing pain but none of my other nibs have necessitated a "break in" period.

Has me extremely worried because as it was purchased from the Bay, I have no warranty as I don't have a original purchase receipt...

First couple times writing with it today and initially less than impressed. Quite a few dry starts. I'm hoping it's just a growing pain but none of my other nibs have necessitated a "break in" period.

Has me extremely worried because as it was purchased from the Bay, I have no warranty as I don't have a original purchase receipt...
Did you give it a good cleaning/flushing before filling it for the first time? Sometimes there's manufacturing oils or debris in the feed that can cause problems. You might also want to let it sit overnight or so to make sure that the feed is completely saturated. Sometimes these hard starts work themselves out over time.

Did you give it a good cleaning/flushing before filling it for the first time? Sometimes there's manufacturing oils or debris in the feed that can cause problems. You might also want to let it sit overnight or so to make sure that the feed is completely saturated. Sometimes these hard starts work themselves out over time.

I did flush with warm water before filling, though I wouldn't necessarily call it a thorough cleaning. I'll let it sit overnight tonight and see if the feed saturates more completely. If I'm still getting hard starts tomorrow I'll give it a good cleaning and flushing again. Thank you for the advice!! I didn't have these issues with my Pilot Metros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom