Thread: Identify grit rating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Identify grit rating

Gents,

Does anyone know what the grit rating is for the Black Dovo strop paste. I bought it as part of a two piece paste set from Dovo,one was red the other black,they were wrapped in foil.You can buy the set from ClassicShaving. I have been told the red paste is between 2 and 4 micron,its a course paste for sharpening a blunt edge.The black paste is only referred to as a polishing paste, and I would like to know what grit strength this actually is.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't find a definitive answer but the author of this post believes that it is 1 micron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Keep in mind that particle size isn't necessarily that important - we tend to overemphasize it because it's a nice number we can compare. But different abrasive compounds with similar grit sizes will cut at different rates and produce different edges. Many people prefer the 0.5 micron chrome oxide paste over the 0.5 micron diamond paste, and some prefer the 1.8 micron black (boron carbide) paste from handamerican over the 1 micron diamond paste.

The Dovo Black paste is fine enough to put a great-shaving edge on a razor, as will the TI white paste, or either of the hand american green or black pastes. I've used them all and gotten superb shaves from them all. The difference in edges they produce, while noticeable, is not terribly significant - they'll all put an edge on your razor that will turn it into a whisker squeegee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for this, I liked the whisker squeegee reference :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mparker762 View Post
    ... The difference in edges they produce, while noticeable, is not terribly significant - they'll all put an edge on your razor that will turn it into a whisker squeegee.
    I am totally stealing that whisker squeegee idea. So much more visceral than "wipe the hair away" sharp.