What's new

G Shock auto receive

Hi guys, just got my first g shock and really like the look of it. It's a solar one, the GW6900-1 I think. However, I'm having problems with the atomic timekeeping on it. I have the city code set to NYC as I am on the east coast, but every time I try to retrieve the time it tries for about half a minute and then says "GET" and has no time displayed. According to the manual, it is supposed to show "GET" and the time it received. But it looks like it won't receive time at all. Really frustrated as I want to use the watch and have the most accurate time possible. Can anyone help?

Not sure how to fix the watch, but if you're interested in having the most accurate time possible you can download an app on your phone to synch your phone with an atomic clock, if your carrier doesn't do that already.

Watches at this point are just jewelry.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not sure how to fix the watch, but if you're interested in having the most accurate time possible you can download an app on your phone to synch your phone with an atomic clock, if your carrier doesn't do that already.

Watches at this point are just jewelry.
I disagree. When sitting in a meeting, wondering just how much longer you are going to have to listen to management drivel, it is much easier to catch a quick glimpse of the watch on your wrist than it is pull out the cell phone. I wear a diver, and if I have to time how long it has been since I started working a sim problem (we have to send out an email 1 hour after the sim comes down) I can just twist my bezel. That takes a second or two, and I can look at my wrist from time to time to see where I am at. If I want to start a timer on the cell phone, I have to unlock it, find the app, then start the timer. If I want to check progress, I have to again pull out the phone, unlock the screen, etc.

on edit: There is something that feels right about something that does one thing, and does it well.

Last edited:
Good points [MENTION=36529]oc_in_fw[/MENTION]. Now that you mention it, I do rather miss my bezel.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good points @oc_in_fw. Now that you mention it, I do rather miss my bezel.
It is my first dive watch, and now I wonder how I ever got along without it.

$image.jpg

I disagree. When sitting in a meeting, wondering just how much longer you are going to have to listen to management drivel, it is much easier to catch a quick glimpse of the watch on your wrist than it is pull out the cell phone. I wear a diver, and if I have to time how long it has been since I started working a sim problem (we have to send out an email 1 hour after the sim comes down) I can just twist my bezel. That takes a second or two, and I can look at my wrist from time to time to see where I am at. If I want to start a timer on the cell phone, I have to unlock it, find the app, then start the timer. If I want to check progress, I have to again pull out the phone, unlock the screen, etc.

on edit: There is something that feels right about something that does one thing, and does it well.

I remember an incident at my last job. Authorization was needed for something rather urgently. They all were on a conference call and could not be disturbed. Meanwhile, the crisis compounded.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Just put it on your window sill tonight when you go to bed and it will auto receive the time. I have 5 solar/atomic G-shocks and they all auto receive. Not a one of them will do it for me on manual. Too much interference during the day I would guess. Let us know if it works tonight.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just put it on your window sill tonight when you go to bed and it will auto receive the time. I have 5 solar/atomic G-shocks and they all auto receive. Not a one of them will do it for me on manual. Too much interference during the day I would guess. Let us know if it works tonight.

Excellent point, Marty. I think the signal is AM- you're going to get the best reception at night. And you remind me, I did the window sill trick once a week on my days off.

I am on my third, and this has been my experience as well...although in my current house mine updates on my wrist while I sleep.

That's how mine does it.

So it received the signal early Sunday morning, as I related here, but both nights since then has failed to. And now instead of getting "GET" and a blank clock face when I try to manually receive the time, I get "ERR" which I assume is "error." Help!

martym

Err. Just means it's not getting the signal!
you are a long way from Colorado! How's ur weather been? It plays a great deal in the watch receiving the signal. Have u been wearing it at night or leaving it on the window sill? I wear mine and have no problems at all but you r much farther away than I.

I'm in Maryland, so pretty far from Colorado. I left it on the windowsill. I'll try switching where I leave the watch at night. I don't like wearing watches when I sleep so I'll have to find a spot to park it.

martym

Good luck
Just remember that atmospheric conditions greatly impact your watch's ability to receive a signal!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm in Maryland, so pretty far from Colorado. I left it on the windowsill. I'll try switching where I leave the watch at night. I don't like wearing watches when I sleep so I'll have to find a spot to park it.

I would give it a week or two. If it keeps doing this see if you can swap it at the store.

Top Bottom