What's new

Various blades at a couple hundred magnification.

Dimeotane, I think the spikes are ridges in the grind reflecting light. At the end of the video I think you can see some coating sticking out. Here's a Voskhod at 45 degrees. You can see more of the final edge from this angle.
proxy.php

A couple strokes of the Twinflex totally removed the coating on the Feather blade. Tried it for an inch, terrible. I know this is a mostly settled issue but I had to see up close. Lit the very edge of the blade this time with different light. Blade looks smoother but the look is deceiving at least on the Feather. Anyone know of a good uncoated blade I can experiment with?
proxy.php

How about the Shark's? I find them to be superb for a couple of shaves but that's about it, it would be great to see what they're like if you have any.

I've got a shark around here somewhere Tony. But first I have this Bolzano that i'm going to try tomorrow (if my Sputnik crashes to earth on day 4). Different edge on the Bolzano than any other so far. Looks sharp, well defined, nothing odd near the edge. Second pic is one lit to show the actual edge more clearly. So far all my previous ones haven't shown it very well since I only used 2 lights.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I've got a shark around here somewhere Tony. I'll give them a try in a couple days. But first I have this Bolzano that i'm going to try tomorrow (if my Sputnik crashes to earth on day 4). Different edge on the Bolzano than any other so far. Looks sharp, well defined, nothing odd near the edge. Second pic is one lit to show the actual edge more clearly. So far all my previous ones haven't shown it very well since I only used 2 lights.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes that does look different, I would expect that to be a sharp blade. No drama's on the Sharks, I appreciate the efforts you're making to provide these shots, great work.

Here is the Shark SS Tony, Has a wide delicate looking final bevel, may be why it only lasts you a couple days. Not too bad looking but I could swear I see coating on there. How is it generally reviewed by folks?
proxy.php

Here is the Shark SS Tony, Has a wide delicate looking final bevel, may be why it only lasts you a couple days. Not too bad looking but I could swear I see coating on there. How is it generally reviewed by folks?
proxy.php

Excellent, thanks, looks exactly like it performs, sharp and smooth but not long lasting, I'd call them "Feather lite's", not quite as sharp but smoother. The reviews are generally pretty good, similar to my findings, though obviously they don't work for everyone, like any blade out there.

Testing Astra SP today. Put it ahead of the Bolzano after a visit to the Excalibur thread. Going to see for myself if stropping will work and extend the life of this blade. After reading a bit of Excalibur club I realized some of those guys are either very broke, or like to hurt themselves ;).
This is before and after a few revs on a newer model ex. condition Twinplex. Not much difference with this magnification although the one at the bottom looks a bit smoother in some areas. I will see how it feels tomorrow day 2.
proxy.php
[/url]

Last edited:
Thanks Driftwood!
Something new today: Here is a PolSilver I used for 4 great days, then loaded into an old but new condition Twinplex for a spin. Not one or 2 revs, 100. Had too much fun turning that little crank. See anything missing? Like a chunk of the edge? Not done yet though. Any good modern uncoated blades available to test?
proxy.php

Or a chunk of residue sitting on the edge? I think I can see the edge behind it. Might be a blob of soap scum.

I am not sure if you will find any modern stainless DE blades that are uncoated. Here is a Personna Stainless drugstore blade, before and after corking. Notice the bright line in the dark band? I think that is where the cork took off some of the PTFE coating. So I concluded that the "stainless" packaging was mostly for market segmentation, a way for consumers to upgrade themselves to a more expensive blade that is really about the same.

Anyway stainless DE blades never were very successful until PTFE coatings arrived in the early 1960s. Here is a Silver Star Duridium, probably ca. 1950s. I think this really is uncoated stainless: there is no dark band, and when I tried shaving with one it felt like a completely different animal. It seemed to be sharp enough to cut my stubble pretty well, but I missed that comfort coating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved the paper envelope underneath to make sure, it is hole. Weird how that bit of edge is still there. Although many still strop DE blades I'm already mostly convinced they are beyond that now. I'm just doing it out of curiosity since I'm good right now with a GSB or a Sputnik for 4 days and then I toss. Tomorrow I'm going to shave with a one day used Twinplex stropped Astra SP. I might need a transfusion.

This is really fascinating. It also helps enforce my non-scientific observations of GSBs, which always seem very smooth even on the very first pass of the first shave.

This is really fascinating. It also helps enforce my non-scientific observations of GSBs, which always seem very smooth even on the very first pass of the first shave.
I am on the Bic now, 2nd day was also incredibly comfortable. I am putting it up there with the GSB, Sputnik, and PolSilver. It may be smoother than GSB for me and my razor. Check the pics in this thread, looks nice up close too.

I've gone vintage blades only some time back and my shaves are always smooth and hemoglobin free. I'd be interested to see how they'd look.

I've gone vintage blades only some time back and my shaves are always smooth and hemoglobin free. I'd be interested to see how they'd look.
What are you using Mouser? I'd like to take a look myself.
Here's the PolSilver: This angle shows the actual edge better. Notice the shadow on the edge from the coating/grind in side light. Makes it appear that the coating/grind is not flat with the edge but extends outward.
proxy.php

What are you using Mouser? I'd like to take a look myself.
Here's the PolSilver: This angle shows the actual edge better. Notice the shadow on the edge from the coating/grind in side light. Makes it appear that the coating/grind is not flat with the edge but extends outward.
proxy.php
Well HD, Personna 74 and Super Stainless, Gillette Platinum Plus, Schick Plus Platinum, and Wilkinson Light Brigades to name a few of the best stainless ones and Schick Deluxe Krona and Gillette Super Blues among the carbons. There's others but banging a post out on my little phone takes too long.

Pps, I strop them 10 to 15 times an edge on an old pair of jeans first, although I'm not sure that does anything.

Have some Gillette Spoilers on the way, they are not that steep price wise and seem fairly popular, I'll have a look when they arrive.

Sledge

Here's the Wilkinson Sword. It has a double coating (?) and you can see how thick it is. It covers the entire edge, blends in nicely and smooths the grind marks. 4 days of excellent shaves so far.
proxy.php

Here is one at the max magnification I can deal with and still focus somewhat. The can be seen all the way to the edge in side light. Hair was cut from my arm with scissors. Electrons (TEM) make the coating look transparent but photons (light) show it pretty well.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom