What's new

I'm a Steward- ask me anything

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
"Why do most of the models in the fashion layouts lately appear to be wearing their little brother's cloths?"

Because, for some reason, the fashion industry thinks we like stick women :001_smile

"I'll expand on that question. Why are mens cloths sizes not uniform. e.g. XL made in "***" is smaller the made in "***"
no need to name countries, I think you get the idea."

I have always wondered that. It is like there is no standard sizes. Heck, even with shoes, the size depends on where they were made.

"This thread looks to be similar to the old ask Ouch thread.:w00t: "

Ouch is everyone
Ftfy

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'll expand on that question. Why are mens cloths sizes not uniform. e.g. XL made in "***" is smaller the made in "***"
no need to name countries, I think you get the idea.

I heard a mid age gent tell his son, as he was leaving a mens wear store. Lets go this place just stocks cloths for little boys. He was not a big man at all. Their sizes are all on the small size for the indicated sizing.

Two different issues at play there. First, there's the geographic differences, in that ... um ... North Americans are fat. Er, I mean 'big boned". Clothing made for the Asian market has about a one-size-difference on the sizes (if you buy a "large" when shopping in Chicago or Vancouver, you buy an "extra-large" in Tokyo or Manila.

Second, there's "brand style" issues, where one brand wants to position itself as selling "youthful" or "fashionable" clothing (which nowadays means "skinny" while others take a more relaxed "your beer gut has nothing to fear" approach. If I buy a suit from Tom Ford, I know a 42R will fit me well ... but a 42R from Thom Browne will be ludicrously undersized ... 'cause Tom Ford is sane and Thom Browne is nuts.

Nobody?

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

:biggrin1:

What is the capital of Assyria?

Je suis Ouch

And we are all together goo-goo-ga-choo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two different issues at play there. First, there's the geographic differences, in that ... um ... North Americans are fat. Er, I mean 'big boned". Clothing made for the Asian market has about a one-size-difference on the sizes (if you buy a "large" when shopping in Chicago or Vancouver, you buy an "extra-large" in Tokyo or Manila.

Second, there's "brand style" issues, where one brand wants to position itself as selling "youthful" or "fashionable" clothing (which nowadays means "skinny" while others take a more relaxed "your beer gut has nothing to fear" approach. If I buy a suit from Tom Ford, I know a 42R will fit me well ... but a 42R from Thom Browne will be ludicrously undersized ... 'cause Tom Ford is sane and Thom Browne is nuts.

What is the capital of Assyria?

And we are all together goo-goo-ga-choo!

One issue I've had is shoe sizes. I wear a 15--mostly. Some brands i wear a 14. I have never worn a 16. Now, my feet haven't changed size since high school. I can only assume the shoes have.

Last edited by a moderator:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
One issue I've had is shoe sizes. I wear a 15--mostly. Some brands i wear a 14. I have never worn a 16. Now, my feet haven't changed size since high school. I can only assume the shoes have.

I hear you with shoes/boots. For years I wore cheap boots. I have wide feet, so I always had to jump up a size or two. Then I went to the Red Wing store and got boots that actually fit- a 10.5 EE. Best footwear decision I ever made. With tennis shoes I always go New Balance- I can always find a wide width when I go for a new pair.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I hear you with shoes/boots. For years I wore cheap boots. I have wide feet, so I always had to jump up a size or two. Then I went to the Red Wing store and got boots that actually fit- a 10.5 EE. Best footwear decision I ever made. With tennis shoes I always go New Balance- I can always find a wide width when I go for a new pair.

All I can imagine is hairy Hobbit feet.

Top Bottom