What's new

Beer

We are all into this Nostalgic Shaving thing, using products and methods our grandfathers used many years ago, so why not drink some of the beer they drank as well. I have been drinking vintage labeled brews for years and have found that besides being cheaper than the "Big 3", they taste better as well. Now I know a lot of you guys like imports and micro-brews over a watered down domestic lager, but these beers have a time and place too.

Say, on a 90 degree day after cutting grass for an hour, do you want to really reach for a stout, probably not. This is where a good old American lager/pilsner comes in.

I currently have on hand:

Schaffer
PBR
Strohs
Genny Cream Ale
Old Milwaukee
(I keep some Great Lakes, Becks, Stella around too)

These beers (except recently PBR) get such a bad rap, mainly because of mainstream marketing/advertising by the "Big3". So I say, go shave, pour yourself a beer, and eat some pickled eggs (with hot sauce)!!!

There's plenty of good lagers out there by craft breweries as well. Craft Breweries tend to not produce nearly as many lagers as ales for reasons including equipment/space needed and time, but there is still good stuff out there.

Troegs Sunshine Pils for one. Blue Point Toasted Lager is another favorite of mine. Eggenberg Pilsner is very good. I just bought a Brooklyn sampler that has the Lager, Pennant Ale, Brown, and IPA in it.

No reason to go with the macro stuff, imo. And personally, I want nothing to do with any beer after mowing the lawn in 90 degree weather. Cold water is fine. I don't drink beer to quench thirst (which will invariably lead to a mild hangover if you're actually dehydrated). I drink beer with food, to enjoy beer, and to get drunk (occasionally).

There's plenty of good lagers out there by craft breweries as well. Craft Breweries tend to not produce nearly as many lagers as ales for reasons including equipment/space needed and time, but there is still good stuff out there.

Troegs Sunshine Pils for one. Blue Point Toasted Lager is another favorite of mine. Eggenberg Pilsner is very good. I just bought a Brooklyn sampler that has the Lager, Pennant Ale, Brown, and IPA in it.

No reason to go with the macro stuff, imo. And personally, I want nothing to do with any beer after mowing the lawn in 90 degree weather. Cold water is fine. I don't drink beer to quench thirst (which will invariably lead to a mild hangover if you're actually dehydrated). I drink beer with food, to enjoy beer, and to get drunk (occasionally).

I understand where you are comming from, Lucius. I love to pair a good beer to match my meal too. But this discussion is on old macro brews. They still do have a time and place, not just in local neighborhood taverns. IMO, theres nothing wrong with enjoying a vintage american macro, a pickled egg, and a cigar after a good shave.

To each his own, but imo there's no reason to drink macros. You can get the same style of beer, but better, from craft/imports.

But again, to each his own.

FWIW Dogfish Head makes a lighter beer called Lawnmower something or other.

I can see where you're coming from though. I guess it's kinda like saying sometimes a burger from Wendy's really hits the spot. It's certainly not the best out there, but in certain situations it's what you want, or you can at least get pleasure from it. For me, I just can't get much pleasure from macros. I can drink Bud if I have to, but I try to avoid it.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, JET!

Another oldtime beer that hasn't been mentioned is Utica Club. I grew up in Upstate New York, when Utica Club was in its prime. Following, is a little history:

Utica Club is a brand of naturally-aged pilsner beer from Utica, New York. Since 1888, Utica Club has been brewed at the West End Brewing Company (today the Matt Brewing Company). It was the first beer officially sold after Prohibition.

Utica Club's most famous campaign icons were a pair of talking beer steins, Schultz and Dooley, who appeared in several popular television commercials that ran from 1959 to 1964. DDB (Doyle Dane Bernbach) copywriter David Reider created the characters and comedian Jonathan Winters supplied the voices of Schultz, Dooley, and the other beer steins that appeared in the commercials. Many Utica Club commercials depicted two characters ending the argument abruptly on ordering a Utica Club beer, leading to the jingle "It's tough to argue over an Utica Club, 'cause they put too much love into it!"

Today, Utica Club is still being manufactured, although it is a minor brand in comparison to the brewery's primary line of Saranac beers. It is, however, still a favorite among residents of the Utica area.

Ciao,
chop-chop

I'm one of the biggest proponents of craft/microbrews, but I still have a special place in my heart (and wallet) for PBR!

On the homebrew forum I frequent, we call the "Big 3" "BMC" beers. (Bud, Miller, Coors).

My Grandfather drank BEER brand BEER. White can, four letters, B-E-E-R.

I've looked, but I just can't seem to find this generic stuff anywhere.

How about some Iron City, Rolling Rock, National Bohemian, Schmidts or Falls City?

Can you guess where I grew up?

Rob/Limey,

I was a huge Pirate's fan, growing up. I have to say that trying Iron City was very disappointing! On the other hand, Arnold Palmer's choice :wink:... Rolling Rock... is quite tasty!

Time to get the sweeper and red-up... company's comin'! :biggrin:

Ciao,
chop-chop

The Agreement:
I think american lagers have there place. I've been kind of spoiled out here in Oregon for the past 10 years with all our micro's, but ya on a hot day, lager is what I crave. I think one of the finest luxuries just might be a cold beer in the shower after a long days work.

My 2 Cants:
I believe the finest widely available lager is Dos X's amber.

I bought a 12-pack of plain old Budweiser, Saturday. Its the first Bud I've bought in several years. It is simple but good. It hits the spot on a hot, spring day.

Tim

I keep coming back to Schlitz.

proxy.php

I drink quite a few diffrent brews.....Im currently on this DOS Equis amber kick.....went out for mexican food one night with my wife, they had it on tap......really enjoying it.......sort of a dark honey color....real crisp....any one else try this???

I keep coming back to Schlitz.

proxy.php

Believe it or not, there was a time when Schlitz was a very good seller. My grandfather owned several liquor stores, and in the 70's, Schlitz was his second best seller next to Bud. I wonder if one can still buy Schlitz and whether it is the same as 30/40 years ago.

As a long-time beer geek, the problem I have with the second-tier American lagers is that most of them are coming from one single company at this point -- GW Pabst (I always call it the "Pabst Family of Remaindered Brands"). Pabst has been buying up old regionals for years now, as well as declining national-level brands that aren't BMC. Some of these display vaguely more interest, flavor-wise, than the Big 3, but really the differences are minor at best.

These days, I find the best yellow-lager-style beer around tends to be Bohemia (yes, the Mexican one) -- crisp and snappy, refreshing, and with actual hop and malt flavor! Very few larger US brands are selling beer with that character since sweeter stuff tends to sell better (see: Bud, etc.).

Bohemia is a fine swill. Another fine Mexibrew that goes extremely well with yardwork or just a typical Texas afternoon is Modelo. A 12-pack (cans. Yah, I know but we are referring to cheap beer) will only set you back about $10.

If I never see, taste or smell anything Old Milwaukee related in my life, it would be too soon. Too many nights in small town taverns drinking OM and eating pickled foods. :eek:

Just thought you fellas would like this..........................

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulyPmFzzPt0&feature=related[/youtube]

Top Bottom