What's new

Why are Derbys dissed so much?

Is it just me? I have gotten 3 weeks out of a Derby before. I don't have the thickest beard, but it's not peach fuzz either. And a lot of those hairs are coarse grey now. :blushing:

And at $9 for 100 on Amazon (I am a prime member, so free 2 day shipping to boot) I am stocked for a while. My public school education tells me that's about 9¢ per blade.

(I also have 200 Gillette Silver Blues and 150 or so Astras. All give me at least 2 weeks worth of good shaves.)

Feathers? Yeah, they are sharp and expensive, but my face likes to bleed a bit with them. I only have about 50 of them.

So, back to the original question - do I just have great success with Derbys or are they not really as bad as people make them out to be?

Hey, If any product works well for you, use it in good health and enjoy. Np need to fall prey to any others' opinions.

I suppose they get dissed because they do not work well for a lot of people. Everyone is different so you use what what works for you. Me, I have never gotten 2 weeks from any DE blade never mind 3 weeks. Astras are OK, Feathers don't leave me bleeding, Silver Blues seem very good while PolSilver SIs feel rough to me. Others do feel differently about the blades I use but that is them not me.

Bob

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I think it's because they suck - hard! :w00t:

Just kidding, of course. I suspect it's because most people are looking for very sharp blades and they are not. It really is irritating to have a blade feel like it's pulling your hairs out one at a time.

Use whatever works.

I've posted my theory before, and I think it's a good one because it's been my personal experience.

I think Derby blades get dissed more than others because they're very often included free with "starter" safety razors. So guys who are just starting out and don't quite know what they're doing yet start out with Derbys. By the time they've developed a technique and figured out how to correctly prepare their face, lather, etc., they've moved on to a different blade which, for obvious reasons works better for them.

And so when I first started out and tried a free Derby blade, I didn't know what I was doing. By the time I'd moved on to an Astra or Feather, I was doing a better job at DE shaving and had learned or figured out such basic things as not applying pressure, correct angle, etc. And so I demeaned the Derby without realizing it wasn't the blade that had given me such a bad shave, it was the guy shaving with it that was the problem.

Tbh I don't actually use Derbys now, but I'd bet a million bucks that if I did, I could get a very good shave out of them. In fact, I think I'll use a spare Derby I still have tomorrow morning to prove my theory.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
They're cheap, and they don't work for a lot of folks. That's about the long and short of it. If they work for you, then rock on!

I've never actually tried a Derby, even though I have a few lying around. I need to get around to them and see what all the fuss is (or isn't) about.

I've posted my theory before, and I think it's a good one because it's been my personal experience.

I think Derby blades get dissed more than others because they're very often included free with "starter" safety razors. So guys who are just starting out and don't quite know what they're doing yet start out with Derbys. By the time they've developed a technique and figured out how to correctly prepare their face, lather, etc., they've moved on to a different blade which, for obvious reasons works better for them.

And so when I first started out and tried a free Derby blade, I didn't know what I was doing. By the time I'd moved on to an Astra or Feather, I was doing a better job at DE shaving and had learned or figured out such basic things as not applying pressure, correct angle, etc. And so I demeaned the Derby without realizing it wasn't the blade that had given me such a bad shave, it was the guy shaving with it that was the problem.

Tbh I don't actually use Derbys now, but I'd bet a million bucks that if I did, I could get a very good shave out of them. In fact, I think I'll use a spare Derby I still have tomorrow morning to prove my theory.

This makes perfect sense

Raven Koenes

My precious!

+1

Razor blades are like flavored potato chips. My friend absolutely adores the chicken and waffle flavored chips, whereas I think they taste like farts. I like Derby's. I'm sure I've got a friend who thinks they one step above shaving with a rusty nail (and not the cocktail, which would be kind of nice).

There's waffle flavored chips?! I tried the Poutine flavored ones, and holy hell they were awful!
Anyway, blades! I don't find these worth purchasing for myself, because there is no longevity, thus, making the price not very cheap anymore. hat said, Derby and the Platinum Dorco, 301 I believe?, give me very comfortable irritation free shaves. If you're going for pure comfort, great blades, but for value and longevity, not so much. In my own little humble opinion of course.

If you're getting 2-3 weeks out of an average blade (is that daily shaving?), then your skin is very much NOT like most of ours, so your experience with blades will be somewhat unique as well. Most guys top out at 4-7 shaves on a given blade, then the irritation and burn sets in hard.

If you're getting 2-3 weeks out of an average blade (is that daily shaving?), then your skin is very much NOT like most of ours, so your experience with blades will be somewhat unique as well. Most guys top out at 4-7 shaves on a given blade, then the irritation and burn sets in hard.

Chris (can I call you Chris?),

I shave every night on most days. I will go every other day a few times a week. So I average 10-12 shaves out of a blade - regardless of which blade I am using.

I need to go Excalibur on a Derby and my mild Tech and see how far I can take it shaving every night.

I had one of the best shaves ever without knowing which brand of blade I had in the razor. Super smooth results, and during the shave it felt like there wasn't even a blade in the razor (and I've read members post that comment before but had never experienced it myself). Afterwards I took the blade out to see what it was and........... it was a Derby. I bought 1000 of them for just over $70.00 including tax and free shipping. So at 7 cents a blade I feel they represent a good value for me. They seem to work very well in my '56 Super Speed. I also have and use Shark SC, Astra SP and SS, Feather and some various Rapira and Polsilver SI but the Derby blades work as well as those with the exception of Merkur blades. To me, those Merkurs are a lot worse than Derbys.

I was about 6-8 months in before trying a Derby. I was hoping to like them, but unfortunately it tugged terribly first time around and was a very uncomfortable shave. I change blades when they start feeling like the Derby did on the first shave.

Derby Blades are great for me.

Along with Lord Platinum, Derby was my first big blade purchase.
I can get many days of good face/head shaves in all of my razors with a Derby blade.

As stated before blades (and everything here) is YMMV.

Derby (and Shark) seem to be this sub-forums favourite whipping boys :001_rolle.

Find what works for you and stick with it, regardless of what the popular opinion is, after all you are doing the shaving not someone else.

There are lot of blades, that I like, but don't use. I don't like Derby because bad quality control, sometimes 3 out of 5 blades are dull... And I wouldn't use good Derby, but I would like them.

I think these companies (like Lord, Treet, Gillette, etc) that have a billion different versions of their blades should start producing them in potato chip flavors. I wonder how a barbecue Lord would compare to a salt & vinegar Treet?

Some Derby's give me more shaves than others. Last week I had one that was really sharp, but it felt that the edge didn't hold up and I tossed it after 3 shaves .... A few months ago, I had one that didn't start out too sharp, but it held what edge it had for 6 shaves (maybe 7) before I tossed it.

Top Bottom