What's new

Why are Derbys dissed so much?

When I have had a blade that did not agree with me, the result was tugging, uncomfortable passes, and I stopped with that blade.

Never got to the point of cuts, rashes etc.

...So, back to the original question...
To me they are not sharp enough so they pull quite a bit. While shaving I feel the blade rough but the end result is an OK shave.
I use them once in a while, just to remind me how great Astra blades are.

To me they are not sharp enough so they pull quite a bit. While shaving I feel the blade rough but the end result is an OK shave.
I use them once in a while, just to remind me how great Astra blades are.

Astras are in my rotation of 3:

Derby
Astra
Gillette Silver Blue

I will throw a feather in every once in a while to remind me that I don't have to spend twice as much for a blade to get a great shave.

Based, in part, on this thread I am reevaluating Derbyshire in my new Wolfman razor. Today I got a BBS- shave on day 6! Not as sharp as other possibilities, but Derbys are good blades IMO!

Based, in part, on this thread I am reevaluating Derbyshire in my new Wolfman razor. Today I got a BBS- shave on day 6! Not as sharp as other possibilities, but Derbys are good blades IMO!

This seems to be the general feeling upon giving them a second chance! Thanks for chiming in.

Cause they can't cut through a thick and manly few days of growth :001_smile

Feathers are the best blade for that, but you won't get much out of one afterwards, different blades for different jobs. If you want a smooth daily blade with minimal irritation Derby's are a good choice for many people. If you want a two day growth whisker whacker then Feathers are the bad boys for that job in my experience.

I've posted my theory before, and I think it's a good one because it's been my personal experience.

I think Derby blades get dissed more than others because they're very often included free with "starter" safety razors. So guys who are just starting out and don't quite know what they're doing yet start out with Derbys. By the time they've developed a technique and figured out how to correctly prepare their face, lather, etc., they've moved on to a different blade which, for obvious reasons works better for them.

And so when I first started out and tried a free Derby blade, I didn't know what I was doing. By the time I'd moved on to an Astra or Feather, I was doing a better job at DE shaving and had learned or figured out such basic things as not applying pressure, correct angle, etc. And so I demeaned the Derby without realizing it wasn't the blade that had given me such a bad shave, it was the guy shaving with it that was the problem.

Tbh I don't actually use Derbys now, but I'd bet a million bucks that if I did, I could get a very good shave out of them. In fact, I think I'll use a spare Derby I still have tomorrow morning to prove my theory.

As a newbie of only about 2 months, I fully concur with this theory. My EJ DE89 came with a tuck of Derbys. So, that's what I used. My initial shaves were pretty good, but not perfect. As I tried other blades, some of them shaved better. Was it the blades, or my improved technique? I am pretty sure its my technique getting better not the difference in the blades themselves.

I think Derby's are great for beginners. They are forgiving, which is a very desirable quality when you are still shakey.
Are they the best blade out there? As a newbie, I have no idea. I bought a 100 pack of Personna blades and they work great.
But are they all that much better than the Derby's. Only time and experience will Tell

Terry W. In Gilbert Arizona

Feathers are the best blade for that, but you won't get much out of one afterwards, different blades for different jobs. If you want a smooth daily blade with minimal irritation Derby's are a good choice for many people. If you want a two day growth whisker whacker then Feathers are the bad boys for that job in my experience.

To me it's more the razor than the blade for several days growth. After starting to use a slant and an OC I wouldn't think of using anything but for three or more days, particularly the slant, no matter what blade I would put in. If I was using a closed comb I would definitely want to use a really sharp blade to avoid tugging but no reason to when you have a better razor for the job.

I do not know what I'm doing wrong. Unfortunately, I bought 200 Derby blades. My skin was cut andcovered by red dots.Then I bought a BIC. They are almost cheap as the Derby. But shave with Bic was incredibly smooth.Maybe r89 is too mild for the Derby?PS. Please excuse my bad English

I agree, the BiC gave a closer shave for me too. However, I got 10 good shaves with a Derby but had to pitch the BiC after 2 shaves. It wasn't quite as smooth imo either, but definitely sharper. I used both in my EJ de86 which is also a mild razor.

For me Derby's are too coarse. I just can't get a smooth shaving from them. As for now - it's Astra, Bic, Feather and Gilette 7 O'clock for me.

I can get 3 or 4 shaves from a Derby... they have worked for me as a basic blade.

They are a little dull for my liking but not as terrible as some shavers assert....

A long time ago I hated them... but like others here have stated once I became a better shaver, things improved a lot. (technique)

If I had to I could use them as a daily blade but I have so many other higher tier blades that I do not....

Just for fun, on my next shave I will use a Derby in my Fatboy... turned up on high (8)....

John

I remember ordering my starter kit about this time last year. It came with several blade samples. Admittedly, I was a new wet shaver and needed some time to learn proper technique. But when I got to the Derby sample pack, I stopped sampling. It was so much better I bought 100 and just used those for like six months. Now my technique has improved and I can use other brands with no problems. I may buy some Astras but I still have plenty of Derbys so why bother?

The point is Derbys are probably a little less aggressive but can provide excellent shaves. If you are new, I'd recommend starting with them just to get the feel for this kind of shaving. Otherwise, get some samples and see what works best with your razor and face. You will know when you find the right blade for you. There may also be more than one brand that will work. Just experiment and you will find your correct choice and forget the biases and preferences you may find here.

As a newbie of only about 2 months, I fully concur with this theory. My EJ DE89 came with a tuck of Derbys. So, that's what I used. My initial shaves were pretty good, but not perfect. As I tried other blades, some of them shaved better. Was it the blades, or my improved technique? I am pretty sure its my technique getting better not the difference in the blades themselves.

I think Derby's are great for beginners. They are forgiving, which is a very desirable quality when you are still shakey.
Are they the best blade out there? As a newbie, I have no idea. I bought a 100 pack of Personna blades and they work great.
But are they all that much better than the Derby's. Only time and experience will Tell

Terry W. In Gilbert Arizona

Thanks. And just to repeat something I said after I posted the thing you're responding to, I did indeed dig out another Derby and got a fine shave with it. Was it my favorite? Not really. But it wasn't one I'd post negatively about on B&B, either.

Derby was my first 100-blade purchase. They worked as well as the Merkur blades with which I started. I've had many more blades in rotation, and a few razors too. I notice very little difference in results from the various blades, so I could say Derbys are as good as anything else.
They are a common brand. They are cheap. The packaging is functional but not particularly creative. As others have said and agreed, they are often the starter blades. Whatever it is, they miss a lot of love here.
If you google "best double edge razor blades", one of the topmost links is the top 10 of 2015 according to Products Review. Derby is #5 , for reasons that include precise manufacture, sharpness, smoothness, and longevity.
Personally I cannot say how long they effectively last. Part of going with DE was getting consumables such as blades so cheap that I could pitch them after a few uses and not even try using them until they become dull. I did that for too long with cartridges. For the 4-7 days that I keep them in the razor, they work.

I couldn't agree with you more. I think blades, as with cars, come with a level of status. I might get some heat over this opinion but, I think the mere cost of the derby blades is what causes them to have horrible reviews. As seasoned wet shavers progress it's as though they feel they are too refined for a run of the mill cheap blade. Therefore, the derby blade falls in the category of a "beginner's blade". Now what refined wet shaver would want to use a starter blade? Well, I would. Like the product review quoted by "goneretroinoh" stated, derby blades are ranked #5. So many conditions determine how comfortable your shave will be. How conditioned is the beard before you begin shaving, what cream, soap or oils are being used, what razor and more. Why I can use the exact same setup and get two different shaves out of it. Because of this I think it is too often blamed on one thing or another.

My opinion, derby blades are a very good blade and, compared to the high dollar blades, they are well worthy of a seat in the top five. Throw in the dollar value and they just can't be beat.

I'm sure it was probably an isolated case, but I tried a 5 pack of Derby blades and a few of the blades were horrible on one of the two sides. The one side seemed quite nice, but when I used the other side is was exremely rough and really did a number on my face. That experience, along with reading other negative reviews, was enough to make me have no more interest in them.

Derby and Feather blades are my total rotation. Derby when I want an easy, very good, and forgiving shave because my technique or attention is a bit off that morning. I consistently get 7-8, 2 pass, shaves between DFS and almost perfect BBS. Feathers, when I feel like total concentration, give a closer shave but if my technique or attention is not total than the price for Feathers is nicks and irritation along with the best BBS I can get.

Top Bottom