What's new

Request: Leather dress shoe care, the non-BBS version

Good day, Gents. I hope all is treating you well and that your Sundays are relaxing.

As you may or may not recall, a few weeks ago I took delivery of AE Park Avenues. When I purchased the shoes, I made a point of also getting the AE cream tube in the correct color. My present shoe care regiment involves at least a day off between wears, storage on shoe trees, and re-balancing the laces after every wearing. Once a month (or sooner, if needed), they go to the cobbler for shining.

Now that I have a better brand of shoe, I'm looking to take on some more of the care and feeding responsibilities for myself so that I can ensure these shoes will last as long as they can. However, to mix metaphors, I'm not looking to take BBS-levels of care. That requires a level of interest that I just don't have. DFS/CCS-levels of care are fine. SAS is too lackadaisical for my likes.

To that end, what kind of regiment would you recommend? It seems like the following would meet that standard:

1) After every wear:
  • Quick brush or wipe after wearing
  • Re-balance laces
  • Store on shoe trees
  • Cover for dust protection

2) Periodically:
  • Polish shoes (more frequent)
  • Moisturize leather (less frequent)

Does this seem reasonable, or am I missing something?

Your method seems adequate. What are you doing for the sides of the soles? When I was in the military, we used liquid shoe polish for the sides of the soles to ensure a great top-to-bottom look. I still do this on my dress shoes to this day. It's the equivalent of waxing your car AND shining the tires. Frequency: before every wear.

At at least a brush shine every other wear if you're wearing slacks.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
What are you doing for the sides of the soles?

Presently, nothing. Up until now, I've had rubber-soled shoes, so dressing the sides has been somewhat superfluous. With my new shoes, however, it's worth re-examining. Thanks for bringing this up!

At at least a brush shine every other wear if you're wearing slacks.

That's exactly how I wear these, with dress slacks. I don't presently own a brush, but, from my various readings, it sounds like I'll want at least two brushes -- one for black, one for everything else. Any thoughts on good brushes to get?

Read some reviews on Amazon to find a good brush. The big issue I've had on some cheaper brushes is shedding. You may also consider an edge dressing, such as Fiebing's.

I own good dress shoes, i. e., AE and Aldens, good casual shoes, and field shoes and boots. I learned a long time ago that shoes will last for years if one keeps leather in good repair, clean, and polished or nourished with quality shoe products. I use high quality shoe brushes after every wear, the appropriate color of polish, and a leather conditioner. Dress shoes receive shoe cream on flexible portions of the leather and a light coat of hard wax on the firm portions of the leather. I blend in the shoe cream where it meets the hard wax and buff until it shines. I avoid polishing my shoes until they glisten like black glass because it is hard on leather. An even coating of polish and a quality brush will bring about a high gloss. I left spit-shining when I no longer wore military footwear. Leather conditioner, e. g., Lexol, Cadillac, etc., keeps the leather nourished. I give my shoes a treatment of leather conditioner whenever I subject the leather to harsh conditions, e. g., mud, water or every month or two. I sometimes get a build-up of wax, which I remove carefully and sparingly with Afta. I just use hard wax and sometimes a leather dye on my heels and sole edges. I don't use heel and edge dressing, which will cake and crack. I have shoes more than 15 years old that have been re-soled and re-heeled numerous times and look almost new. Without fail, I store my footwear with shoe trees and either shoe bags or plastic containers made for shoes. It just makes good sense to take good care of expensive shoes and boots.

Top Bottom