What's new

Tivoli Audio

I really love the way their radios and systems look but I haven't a clue as to their performance. Are there any gents on the forum that have experience with/own Tivoli Audio products?

I own two Model Ones and have much more limited listening experience with their similar stereo models, and I've been duly impressed. That said, the style is probably the main draw for their table radio systems. You can certainly do better for sound quality, but you'd be hard pressed to within that form factor and price range.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
They're very good for the price, and probably a much better choice than the Bose.

They're very good for the price, and probably a much better choice than the Bose.

+1

I have a model 1 in cherry and cobalt. Aesthetically it is IMO unsurpassed at the price point. Mine was $99 and I notice that they now go for $119. I have had it for about 8 years and it has performed flawlessly. It has a very sensitive fm receiver but the am receiver is about average. It is a high fidelity receiver and as such does not exhibit the ridiculously elevated base response that has become popular these days.

Henry Kloss was no slouch and Bose had nothing on him.

It is a high zoot receiver with beautiful classic lines. I don't have experience with their other products.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a very nice Magnum Dynalab tuner that was about a thousand bucks, but I'll confess to not listening to the radio much these days. For something to put on your nightstand, it's hard to beat any of the Kloss designs.

Attachments

• $tuner.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 146
I have a very nice Magnym Dynalab tuner that was about a thousand bucks, but I'll confess to not listening to the radio much these days. For something to put on your nightstand, it's hard to beat any to the Kloss designs.

Nightstand? For those late night, can't sleep, must shave times eh? :lol::lol:

:lol::lol:
That's just the top shelf of the audio rack. The nightstand has the crappiest $5 clock radio imaginable.

In its defense, the clock "has a pronounced affect on the sound heard by listeners in the room. In addition, any video systems in the house will be improved - the picture will be clearer, with better color saturation and contrast." [ref]

:lol:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I really love the way their radios and systems look but I haven't a clue as to their performance. Are there any gents on the forum that have experience with/own Tivoli Audio products?

Hi Shane,

I also love the simple styling of my Model One and have enjoyed its sound for two or three years now. I like the fact that I didn't need to read a manual to figure out how to adjust the volume or the tuner. It is a great office radio. It also provides nice sound for my computer, (my work computer has no speakers), with the aux input.

For about a year or more my wife has had a Model Satellite in her office and it is a little more feature packed. For instance you can add a second speaker for stereo sound. However, it is a little awkward to use with the remote since it does not control the volume or switch modes, you have to do that from the box.

Can't say I have any experience with the Tivoli unit, but I agree that the styling is terrific. It's clearly an homage to the 1960s KLH model 18 tuner--also a Henry Kloss design.

I've still got the one I bought with bar mitzvah money in 1972. Too bad I don't have the Eico tube amp I ran it through.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The Model One was recently on clearance at Target for a mere $60 each. I had a hard time resisting buying another one.

V

VR6ofpain

I have a Tivoli Model One. It sounds great, but has problems (which all radios at Target have also displayed). The radio hisses at low volume (you can't hear it at louder volumes). I believe it has something to do with the gain of the amplifier. Also I have noticed some have issues (like mine) with the turning dial slowly moving off a locked on tune (the light will get dimmer) after awhile. This can be very annoying.

All this said it is a nice radio. Personally I'd go with a Boston Horizon Solo radio. It sounds better, has way more features, and picks up FM stations better. The Tivoli seems to outperform the Boston with AM though.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have a Tivoli Model One. It sounds great, but has problems (which all radios at Target have also displayed). The radio hisses at low volume (you can't hear it at louder volumes). I believe it has something to do with the gain of the amplifier. Also I have noticed some have issues (like mine) with the turning dial slowly moving off a locked on tune (the light will get dimmer) after awhile. This can be very annoying.

All this said it is a nice radio. Personally I'd go with a Boston Horizon Solo radio. It sounds better, has way more features, and picks up FM stations better. The Tivoli seems to outperform the Boston with AM though.

I forgot about the tuning drift as it warms up. I leave mine on all day and this is less of a problem.

Isn't the Boston a lot more expensive?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have a Boston Acoustics clock radio that I bought a couple years back, sounds fabulous! It was pricey though.

If I needed a clock radio with presets I would go with the Boston Acoustics. Side by side with the Model One they sound very similar to my ear. However if all you need is a plain radio and can still get a Model One on clearance for $60 it is a pretty good deal.

V

VR6ofpain

I forgot about the tuning drift as it warms up. I leave mine on all day and this is less of a problem.

Isn't the Boston a lot more expensive?
I paid $69 for the Model One and $99 for the Boston Acoustics Horizon Solo (@ Target). So it is more expensive, but not by much. The retail price of the Boston ($99) is actually less than the Model One ($119)

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I paid $69 for the Model One and $99 for the Boston Acoustics Horizon Solo (@ Target). So it is more expensive, but not by much. The retail price of the Boston ($99) is actually less than the Model One ($119)

That's way cool. Last time I checked my local Target the Boston Acoustics was around $160, which is a bit much for a clock radio.

Top Bottom