What's new

Double edged blades and airport security

After reading a few threads about people concerned with having their blades confiscated by airport security I took it upon myself to find out if there is any way to legally get your blades to come with you on a flight.

Before I continue, it is valuable for you, the reader to understand that my dad works for TSA (the annoying guys at the airport who seem to allow the most suspect people through the gates, yet inevitably search you from head to foot at every checkpoint). I had a discussion with him about my concerns of having my shaving accoutrements confiscated by airport security. He told me that it is possible, and simple. There are only a few simple things to remember to make sure that you, and your beloved shaving supplies arrive at the same time, and at the same place.

Step #1: Understand that airport security themselves are under scrutiny. They are constantly given false positives (may explained why you get searched) to ensure they are paying attention. AND when they DO find something, they are awarded a merit.

Step#2: One of the many responsibilities of TSA is to keep sharp objects inaccessible to passengers while in transit. Understand that you can't have anything on board that even appears sharp accessible while in flight.

This brings me to the good part! Anything you check into baggage is not subject to such stringent standards. In other words, TSA does not care about razor blades that the passenger cannot reach.

It's that simple. When you check your luggage in it flies with you under the plane. I know for some it may be difficult to have your babies out of arms reach for the flight, but rest assured when you land you will be reunited.

It works for me. I do not recommend taking your favorite razor - in the "unlikely" event your luggage is lost or gets more frequent flier miles than you on that particular trip.:mad:

The question is generally about DE blades in carry on. I left some blades at my wife's apartment in Pittsburgh the last time I was there.

I left some blades at my wife's apartment in Pittsburgh the last time I was there.

All right, I wanna hear about you two living in separate states.

The TSA rules are clear - DE and injector blades are not allowed in carry on luggage, but they can fly in checked luggage.

The rules are the same if you are flying in or from the European Union:

- Straight razors and DE blades are NOT allowed in carry on luggage.

Or, carry on the handle with no blades and check the blades.

The politest of fliers will do nothing with a possibility of slowing down the line. The easiest way to do this is to leave anything that might cause a search out of your carry on. No, I don't think its right that this is the way it is, but I really appreciate fast moves through security lines.

We all are considered somewhat odd by family or friends with our devotion to wet shaving so my travel routine just fits in with the general commit of "isn't that a lot of trouble".

If it is a short business trip (one to two nights), and I am not checking bags, I take a self-addressed stamp envelope with me, buy blades at a drug store and mail the unused blades back to my house. For longer trips I usually have a bag to check and take a blade in my checked bag.

On trips out of the country again I buy blades at my destination and mail them back to myself, along with any other finds I have made, a day or two before I come home. Other than a language problem, on a few occasions, I have found the folks who work in Post Offices around the world to be very helpful, more so than most here at home.

As anyone had any difficultly buying blades at a destination?

just took my vision to israel with me and back, no problem, but the blades MUST go in the checked in luggage, having the blades in your carry on luggage will result in your blades and possobly other parts of your shaving kits remaining with airport security and in extreme cases you getting the latex glove treatment,

i do recommend that you pick up some bic metals for travel, but theres always a good razor you can use that you can "afford to lose", a Wilkinson DE classic (decent shaver) a Lux tech clone, theres many decent sub $10 razors,

All right, I wanna hear about you two living in separate states.
The TSA rules are clear - DE and injector blades are not allowed in carry on luggage, but they can fly in checked luggage.
Our joke is that when my wife changed jobs in Jan 2007 there was a misunderstanding between not relocating and telecommuting. Her job is in Pittsburgh and we do live in Santa Clarita valley in California. Typically, I take her to the airport on Monday morning and pick her up Thursday evening. The company covers all expenses for the apartment.

Our joke is that when my wife changed jobs in Jan 2007 there was a misunderstanding between not relocating and telecommuting. Her job is in Pittsburgh and we do live in Santa Clarita valley in California. Typically, I take her to the airport on Monday morning and pick her up Thursday evening. The company covers all expenses for the apartment.
Where do I sign my wife up for one of these jobs?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm glad we can't carry DE blades on board. I am fairly Mcgiver minded and could easily turn a pack of DE blades into a very deadly weapon with other non-restricted items. So if I could do it, I'm certain someone with an evil agenda could as well.

I'm glad we can't carry DE blades on board. I am fairly Mcgiver minded and could easily turn a pack of DE blades into a very deadly weapon with other non-restricted items. So if I could do it, I'm certain someone with an evil agenda could as well.

But it's OK to buy half a dozen wine bottles in departures, which can be converted into seriously dangerous weapons in a fraction of a second with one swipe against a hard edge. The whole "airport security" thing is a joke.

Top Bottom