What's new

Pre-shave oil application?

I've been suffering from the negative effects of having very hard tap water. I'm sure that my inexperienced lathering and shaving techniques haven't helped the matter. The water seems to make the razor catch or skip around, unproductively on my face.

I recently bought some pre-shave oil treatment, in the hopes that this would further lubricate my face, and help alleviate the razor catching/skipping (I'm not sure how best to describe it). Is there a good way to apply the oil to the face? Mix with water, or simply dab on? Also, any other advice besides "watch the mantic videos" (I got that message) will always help too.

A good shave oil can just be rubbed in to your beard since water floats on top of it. The only advice i can give about using pre shave oil is to be careful with your brush as it can gunk it up and ruin your brushes bristles.

I've never had much luck with Pre-oil myself, thought many swear by it. I like Prorasso Preshave. It opens the pores and lubricates well under the lather. I am not suggesting you do away with your Pre oil....Just letting you know what works for me.

Regards,

I tried Musgo Pre-Shave Oil a few times to see if I would like it. It does slick up the face for your shave. However, I did not like the oil all over my hands when trying to shave. At least for me, it takes a while to wash the oil off my hands with soap before trying to shave. Slick fingers and a DE razor are not conducive to a blood free shave.

When I use oil I apply 20 minutes before the shower. I shower then wash out the oil. Most has already absorbed into the hair and skin so it will not gunk your stuff up and it does a great job.

Later,
Richard

I also have a hard water problem - I use distilled water which I buy in a bottle from my local drugstore. Eventually that helps.

As a preshave I sometimes use hair conditioners, that I get for free during hotel stays. Sometimes even some olive oil. I had good shaves with both.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have never had any problems using PSO. I use it when I don't want to take the time to do a proper prep. It will not ruin your brush. However, it is recommended that you clean your brush with shampoo or borax occasionally regardless of what you are using as the fat in shave soaps/creams does build up over time. Also, wash your hands after applying it to your face, since it will be easier to grip your razor if they are clean from oil.

Recently I have been experimenting with Avon Skin So Soft bath oil as a PSO. It has been giving me some nice shaves. I am currently living in a friends old farm house upper apartment and the rustic old bathroom with the slanting wall in the shower/tub just isn't very inviting for spending quality time prepping for my shave. I spotted the bottle of SSS on the shelf and gave it a try and am thinking of buying some. The bottle is a whopping 16 ounces! This could last for many years as a PSO.

I too, have very hard water. Lately though, I found something that works quite well. I put a drop or two of extra virgin olive oil, and a drop of clove oil in my lather bowl before I begin to build my lather. It works wonders!!! Try it.

I recently started trying AOS preshave oil. I have found that the shave is about the same for closeness but my razor burn has all but vanished.

Thanks, all for the great responses. I'll keep working with the oil, but try some of the other suggestions as well.

Just curious, but did my reference to the razor "skidding" over the skin make sense to some?

I have had good luck with olive and almond oil. I rub about four drops in with hot water, let it soak in for 5 mins or so while I am heating water up & letting brush heat up, and then rinse off with hot water before the lather goes on. Sometimes I will reapply a drop or two before the final pass.

From what I understand, most preshave oils are just olive or a similar oil and some essential oils for fragrance.

I have never had any problems using PSO. I use it when I don't want to take the time to do a proper prep. It will not ruin your brush. However, it is recommended that you clean your brush with shampoo or borax occasionally regardless of what you are using as the fat in shave soaps/creams does build up over time. Also, wash your hands after applying it to your face, since it will be easier to grip your razor if they are clean from oil.

Recently I have been experimenting with Avon Skin So Soft bath oil as a PSO. It has been giving me some nice shaves. I am currently living in a friends old farm house upper apartment and the rustic old bathroom with the slanting wall in the shower/tub just isn't very inviting for spending quality time prepping for my shave. I spotted the bottle of SSS on the shelf and gave it a try and am thinking of buying some. The bottle is a whopping 16 ounces! This could last for many years as a PSO.

I bit skin so soft would make a nice pre shave oil - I might pick up a bottle

Top Bottom