What's new

Any Recommendations on a Shoe Shine Box?

My Grandfather passed away last March and I rescued his collection of horse hair brushes and shoe care items from the trash (these are REALLY good brushes). I'd like to get a wooden shoe shine box that has plenty of room. I've looked at the Florsheim cedar box and it seems small. Anyone have any recommendations on a good box? I'm tired of keeping stuff in Ziplock freezer bags and on shelves/in drawers.

Thanks.

Hi Soapy:

I have seen a number of shoe shine boxes with the "shoe holder" (for lack of a better term), a clasp to hold the box together and plenty of storage room in thrift shops and antique stores. They normally run from $15 to $20 on the left coast. I hope that helps. Happy hunting!

Don

Thanks. I did the Amazon search myself and all the boxes seem to be "kits". I just want the box. I don't need the rest of the stuff. I will check around thrift stores and see what I can find.

Thanks. I did the Amazon search myself and all the boxes seem to be "kits". I just want the box. I don't need the rest of the stuff. I will check around thrift stores and see what I can find.
Yes, I know they're mostly kits, but you can always chuck the contents and just use the box.

Another alternative ... if you know somebody who is into wood-working, they could bang together a custom box for you in short order.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Soupy:
If you're looking for a box (vintage or otherwise),...have a look on 'the Bay'! :thumbsup:

Viewmore: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=shoe+shine+box&_sacat=See-All-Categories&rmvSB=true

On the other hand, since my Army days I've always used a empty .30 cal ammo box as my shoe-shine box. :ihih:

attachment.php
[FONT=&amp] "I would say that a good [bulling] is exactly like a good wine. [The shine is]...going to stay and last a long time". Christian Louboutin[/FONT]

Last edited:
I think that second link may do the trick. I like the cedar and the box looks big enough. The valet size (in the recommendations area) is about the size of the Florsheim box that seemed a bit small.

Thanks!

Personally, I just use a toolbox. It's way more practical. Doesn't have that "vintage feel" but it works. The "shoe holder" on shine boxes is pretty useless. It was more for mobile shoe shiners to polish someone else's shoes. For working on your own, it serves no purpose.

If you want vintage, get a vintage metal or wooden toolbox. Skip the stereotypical "shine kit".

My Grandfather passed away last March and I rescued his collection of horse hair brushes and shoe care items from the trash (these are REALLY good brushes). I'd like to get a wooden shoe shine box that has plenty of room. I've looked at the Florsheim cedar box and it seems small. Anyone have any recommendations on a good box? I'm tired of keeping stuff in Ziplock freezer bags and on shelves/in drawers.

Thanks.

Hey Soapy, I know what you're going thru! I carried around my shoe care tools in a supermarket bag for years. :thumbdown

Here is a nice size shine box I got, handmade and handsome, and it's the only one where you pull the shine cloth upwards!! So easy! http://www.americanshineco.com/shop-mens-shoeshine-supplies/complete-shoeshine-kit

Go to the Art of Manliness website and look up their shoe shine box plans. I built one out of scrap lumber that big enough for all my stuff.

I second ebay - I got a very nice vintage box with a cast iron stand on the lid and a shoe butler. It's large enough for 4 or 5 brushes, several tins of polish, spare laces and a few rags and odds and ends. The whole thing was about $25.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Not at all traditional but I use a Rubbermaid Roughneck tote for my shoe shine box. I have several 11 Liter ones that hold other items, first aid kit, camping tent pegs and tie downs, hones in water, etc. etc. They come with a 10 year warranty and stack well.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I build my own from Mahogany with a Cedar liner. Looks just like a huge humidor, filled with all my stuff for shining shoes.

I build my own from Mahogany with a Cedar liner. Looks just like a huge humidor, filled with all my stuff for shining shoes.

I like that idea, the cedar liner. I picked up this fairly new, but slightly stained on the inside bottom box at Goodwill for US$4.99. One easy rectangle of aromatic closet waferboard puts me in SS boxes for decades.

$SSBox.jpg

Ended up buying an old Kiwi box like the one in the photo above on eBay from a seller the next city over for $16. Came with more polish, more brushes and not enough room for all my stuff LOL. Going to have to prioritize and organize. SMH :a52:

Top Bottom