What's new

November 2015 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month's End (GRUME-November)

Are your various shaving ADs out of control? Are you spending more on shaving supplies than groceries? Are you using more bathroom shelf and counter space than your mate? Do you even know how many soaps, creams, aftershaves, brushes and razors you own?

It is time. This fall has been delightful so far, and once Hallowe'en signals the end of GRUME-October, Thanksgiving is coming up!
This restraint is for November 1-30, 2015.

All are welcome!

Rules:

1. No personal shaving purchases.* Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle. However, members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return. Please use your best judgment. Also, no sampling / testing of those gift items permitted.
  2. Members must have the necessary supplies to last the length of the restraint.
  3. GIFT cards cannot be redeemed for shaving items (even if the cards are from previous months).
  4. Any shaving services, like replating or restorations, that are paid for in the month of the restraint will cause you to fail the restraint.

*Exceptions:

1. Members that have committed themselves and successfully completed the September restraint will be allowed to restock/treewhale on November 1st ONLY. Rid your system of any AD's in preparation for another month.
  2. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game).

This monthly restraint is perfect for those who failed the yearly or quarterly sabbatical yet still want to curb their ADs. We will welcome those who fail every month and want to give it another shot, even those that fail on the second day of the restraint.

Remember everyone, it is normally harder than it sounds, so keep fighting the urge!

Leaders will check in for roll call at some points of the restraint. Anyone that wants to assist with this effort is welcome.

Mods:

We humbly request you leave this thread in the General Shaving Discussion forum until November 2 so we can get as many as possible to see the restraint. Afterwards, you can move the thread to Brotherhoods and Clubs.

Tips
Check out this Wiki article for tips on how to survive a restraint

How to Join:

Copy the entire list below and add your number and name to the bottom. Also, you are welcome to update your signature to show you are in the restraint -- for example, GRUME
-November, #1.
To do so, click Settings at the top of the forum and then click Edit Signature on the left.

1) Rory1262
2)
3)

Logistics
Please update the list if you join or leave. Always look to the most recent non-reply version of the list to add/or delete yourself as a member.

Good luck, all!

Last edited by a moderator:
With GRUME-October halfway through, I figured it was time to get the ball rolling. I agreed to be this month's leader because I had the good fortune to win the GRUME-September PIF.

I've got something fun in mind for GRUME-November: a treasure hunt.
Details on how it works to come!

I restocked after the three-month restrain. Only three items, including a demijohn of 4711, so I'm ready for the November restraint.

1) Rory1262
2) Pepin
3) Vespasian

Stockpile is getting out of control, time to join one of these.

1) Rory1262
2) Pepin
3) Vespasian
4) kevdogg329
5) Cosmos Mariner
6) Galactik

Come Nov 1 I've got my eye on a FaTip and some Ogallalala, but I should be strong for November fresh out of the Oct GRU. I'm in.

1) Rory1262

2) Pepin
3) Vespasian
4) kevdogg329
5) Cosmos Mariner
6) Galactik
7) Wihi

After the damage done to my wallet this month, I realize that I need another month of restraint. I'm in.

1) Rory1262
2) Pepin
3) Vespasian
4) kevdogg329
5) Cosmos Mariner
6) Galactik
7) Wihi
8) bobmsp

1) Rory1262
2) Pepin
3) Vespasian
4) kevdogg329
5) Cosmos Mariner
6) Galactik
7) Wihi
8) bobmsp
9) countrydirt

Still looking to save money!

Was starting to run out of roo, guess I'll give this a try.
1) Rory1262
2) Pepin
3) Vespasian
4) kevdogg329
5) Cosmos Mariner
6) Galactik
7) Wihi
8) bobmsp
9) countrydirt
10) sleepydad

Yeah, count me in.
1) Rory1262
2) Pepin
3) Vespasian
4) kevdogg329
5) Cosmos Mariner
6) Galactik
7) Wihi
8) bobmsp
9) countrydirt
10) sleepydad
11) MuhleShaver

Sleepydad, I like your handle!
:001_smile

Question/clarification requested:

Are purchases for this year's Reindeer & Sleigh Holiday Gift Exchange considered violations of the personal shaving purchases (since a participant will be receiving a gift in return for the gift purchased)? In the September GRUME, it was suggested that purchases for a passaround box were verboten under the rules and I didn't know whether the same line of thinking would apply here.

The answer won't matter too much for me - I'm planning on participating in both and will declare myself "out" if/when I make a purchase for the gift exchange if necessary. Just wondering.

Thanks.
Bob

Question/clarification requested:

Are purchases for this year's Reindeer & Sleigh Holiday Gift Exchange considered violations of the personal shaving purchases (since a participant will be receiving a gift in return for the gift purchased)? In the September GRUME, it was suggested that purchases for a passaround box were verboten under the rules and I didn't know whether the same line of thinking would apply here.

The answer won't matter too much for me - I'm planning on participating in both and will declare myself "out" if/when I make a purchase for the gift exchange if necessary. Just wondering.

Thanks.
Bob

As I understand it, if you participate in a B&B sponsored event, you're home free. By the way, Rory, I'm in. I just bought a wood bowl with soap for $35, just to get the bowl. I need help.

Thanks, Scott. I think that's the spirit of the rule, but not actually what the rule says ("B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases"). So I thought I'd just submit it to the group.

1) Rory1262
2) Pepin
3) Vespasian
4) kevdogg329
5) Cosmos Mariner
6) Galactik
7) Wihi
8) bobmsp
9) countrydirt
10) sleepydad
11) MuhleShaver
12) Billy Goatee
13) Heron

I will not be first out this time.

1) Rory1262
2) Pepin
3) Vespasian
4) kevdogg329
5) Cosmos Mariner
6) Galactik
7) Wihi
8) bobmsp
9) countrydirt
10) sleepydad
11) MuhleShaver
12) Billy Goatee
13) Heron
14) JGUN

I am in out of necessity! Got some unexpected bills to pay off and every penny counts right now. Might even sell a couple products this month. Gasp!

Last edited:
Top Bottom