What's new

AE dress shoes with the Dainite Soles

Afternoon gents,

this may have been answered here before, and if so my apologies. I am about to pull the trigger on a pair of two of AE dress shows, most probably a cap toe, or wingtip. I wear dress shoes 5-6 days of the week for work, and am very hard on the soles. I tend to keep shoes until they literally fall apart. I still have pair of old Florsheim's wingtips that weigh as much as a small Volkswagen, but they feel like butter and I cant seem to let them go. Although the cobbler I frequent laughs at me, as the soles I have replaced over time look ok, but he jokes the leather around the shoe is on its last leg.

Over the years I have settled for less expensive dress shoes from some well known makers, but they just wear out too fast, and many not being recraftable, so I now have a shoe graveyard.

After reading the many thread I decided to rectify that, but I am concerned for the soles and noticed the Dainite soles and was curious if anyone had any experience with them.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Compared to leather, danite soles will last longer. Personally, I wish companies used Vibram soles instead for even greater longevity ... and if you do not yet have Vibram half-soles on your leather-soled shoes by now ...

proxy.php

... you should. But a dainite-soled shoe should do fine for durability.

Thanks Doc, I have the vibram on my Motorcycle boots and some of my Ariat ropers, but I did not know they made a dress shoes sole. Hmmm that may bring some of the shoes out of the graveyard, and thanks for the insight on the Dainite

Dave,

I can't comment on the Dainite soles, but you might want to consider waiting until Nordstrom has a sale going to pick up AE shoes. I read they've discontinued their traditional half-yearly sales, but one would expect there to be better buys around the holidays.

Unfortunately, you've just missed out on AE's own annual sale (it ended Tuesday or yesterday, I believe). Some of their styles were marked down up to 30%. Nordstrom's anniversary sale in the summer is also a great time to buy AE. I picked up a pair of Strands in walnut for $258 (regularly $385) and a matching belt for $65 (regularly $98) in July. Also, if you don't mind taking a chance on AE factory seconds (which are returnable to an AE store), check out http://shoebank.com/

The dainite soles on my AE hold up much better than my leather soled shoes. My problem is, I wear out the back corner of my heals up to the second layer way too quickly.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The dainite soles on my AE hold up much better than my leather soled shoes. My problem is, I wear out the back corner of my heals up to the second layer way too quickly.

Me too.

The key is to get the heel replaced before you get up to the second layer of material ... and get something durable put on by the cobbler.

I own a beautiful walnut ae mcallisters with danite. tried to get it put on my alden indys. could not get it so I settled for 430 vibram a great sole. the danite is a very cool sole on dress shoes. one thing on some shoes it will burb a little as you walk until broken in a little. didn't bother me.

I wear mostly Allen Edmond shoes on a daily basis with a couple of Alden shoes and a couple of older John White shoes from England thrown in. I don't enjoy anything but the traditional leather. I'm not so hard on shoes so am satisfied with the leather soles.

Can the dainite soled shoes be rebuilt?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Just stopped at their store in Port Washington this week Tuesday and picked up a couple of pairs for a price, I do not even want to mention...
Tried on a pair with the Dainite sole, but I think it did not look very good on the classic dress shoe it was on.

Top Bottom