What's new

Recommendations for a durable and powerful handgun for backpacking

I like to shoot and I like to backpack. I do have concerns at times.

I sometimes camp alone miles away from anything. I have had recent encounters with black bears and a few weird people.

I have two 9mms (PPQ and a sheild) but I want something that can withstand the elements.

Any recommendations?

I don't know if you could beat a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. Since they're single-actions with adjustable sights, they're not in vogue with the survivalist wannabes or the SASS shooters, so you might be able to find a used one at a decent price.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Get one of these and be done with it.

proxy.php

Seriously though, a Glock in 10mm would be an option, but you also have to consider ammo availability, especially in a remote area. I have to agree with Kit and Rob...a .44 mag. and carry it in a shoulder holster or chest holster. A Blackhawk or S&W mountain gun either one would be fine, but for a big maggie I prefer the grip of a single action as to me there is not as much felt recoil as there is with the grip on a double action. Although a .357 may be just fine for black bear I'd still err on the side of caution and get a .44. You can always load it to the power level you deem necessary.

The Shield is pretty darn durable. I don't have a Walther so I won't comment there.

I'm much more worried about two legged predators when I'm hiking than I am the 4 legged variety, so I usually carry my Shield with an extra mag or two. If I were concerned with bears, I'd probably step it up to a Glock 29 or other 10mm semi.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I forgot to mention...for durability against the elements, whatever you get make it in stainless steel. But the finish on Glocks is pretty durn tough.

Thanks for all the feedback. If others have some insight, please share.

Normally I worry about people with bad intentions when I am out in the woods.

I have, however, seen more black bears this year than the past 5 years combined. I don't know if it's an anomaly or perhaps people and development pushing them in a more condensed area. If it is the latter, the bears get more territorial.

Normally, I don't worry about them but now they are just one more possible threat to worry about.

If it were me....and I were out away from much else, I'd want as many rounds on me as possible. With modern ammo, 9mm shot from a glock 17 will definitely put a black bear down, or at least send him on his way. I'd be more concerned about meth heads personally.

I'm a 10mm fan, but unless you roll your own and are used to the round, it's a bit overkill for your intended purpose.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The .357 Mag will stop most anything in North America. The .44 Magnum will stop anything in North America. The way these newer hand guns are ported re-coil is not the issue it once was-although quite substantial in either caliber. I would say either is fine.

I love the 9mm and it is my favorite carry cartridge, but I think I would want more penetration velocity for a bear, hence my above recommendations.

Keep us posted.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Since you are backpacking and weight may be a consideration, but a good shoulder or chest holster would mitigate the weight some, Smith and Wesson brought out a .44 mag on their L frame last year. It gives up one shot but it weighs about 3/4 of a pound less than a model 29. I don't think I'd want to put a bunch of full-house .44 mag. rounds through something that light in one session though.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57769_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Like most things, people's opinions differ, and I have no experience at all with black bears, but here's an old article from a hunting magazine. The fourth paragraph from the bottom relates a hunting guide's experience with a black bear and a .357.

http://www.foggymountain.com/handgun-bear-hunting.shtml

Last edited:
I am going to head out to the range this week and shoot .44 magnum. I am use to a 9mm but I wouldn't mind shooting something with a little more kick.

I just hope I can find something affordable and durable. I am looking for good ole blue collar handgun.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for the links Mike. The good thing about this gun is I don't mind buying used. Sadly, I just missed the local gun show.

I'll chime in.

I have zero experience defending myself from Bears but I have enough guns to tell you that although 9mm semi-auto is my go to round, to stop mass coming at me, I would feel much better with a .357 or a .44 magnum load. Also, I do not think that I'd want to point a gun into a Bear from a distance less than 20', if the sucker is coming at me, I'd want to aim and pull trigger from at least 25+ feet out. With that in mind I'd want accuracy from a point and shoot stance, since there will be no time to line up my sights, therefore longer barrels will be your friends and reduce kick back, hence IMO anything with a barrel less than 6" is questionable.

In comparison, my .44mag Ruger Bisley SB Hunter with a 7.5" barrel, pulling 320gr loads has minimum recoil compared to say my Browning HP, it might be on par with 128gr .38 reloads running thru my Colt King Cobra's 6" barrel.

Oh and every thread should have a picture!

$2013-02-07_18-33-51_453 44 Mag.jpg

I know lots of fishing and hunting guides in MT and AK are switching to 10mm glocks as their carry in the woods. I might be a little old fashioned by wanting a .44 mag revolver, but they're easier to handle (for me) in case of a misfire. I'm trying to talk the Mrs. into getting me a .454 casull as a woods gun, but that might be a little overkill for my area.

My choice would be a Glock 10mm. Most of what people have mentioned will do though. One prime thing to mention though, and it is critical, is your mode of carry. Remember that if you are backpacking........you need to be able to get to your weapon quickly and safely. That probably means a chest holster.

Mike

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice Bisley!!!

Since no one has mentioned it, how about also carrying a can of bear repellent pepper spray? I've used police pepper spray on humans and it works great, but sometimes there are some people that can take it. And if it's windy or raining you'd still need the handgun as the pepper spray would be....

A single action firearm would be my last choice for bear/personal protection. If a pissed off bear/crack head is charging you....you're gonna piddle your tiddy whities, and fumbling around with a hammer is gonna be a disaster. Draw, point, and shoot are your friend. It would probably be more likely to be draw, and then spray and pray you hit something.

I appreciate everyone with the go big or go home mentality...10mm, .44 mag.....but we're talking brown bears here. I'm 6'4" and pushing 300 lbs. I'm bigger than your average black bear.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A single action firearm would be my last choice for bear/personal protection. If a pissed off bear/crack head is charging you....you're gonna piddle your tiddy whities, and fumbling around with a hammer is gonna be a disaster. Draw, point, and shoot are your friend. It would probably be more likely to be draw, and then spray and pray you hit something.

I appreciate everyone with the go big or go home mentality...10mm, .44 mag.....but we're talking brown bears here. I'm 6'4" and pushing 300 lbs. I'm bigger than your average black bear.

:lol::lol::lol:

No offense, but I was wondering when someone would chime in on the single action vs. double action on a fairly hard kicking handgun. If you handle it right you can shoot a hard recoiling single action just as fast as a double action...use your support hand thumb to **** the hammer. I got rid of a pest (I know, it's not a bear charge), that killed some pets, a few days ago with a SA and the cocking with the support hand thumb just came natural, but I've had a "little bit" of practice for muscle memory...and the pest was running. The cocking of a SA as you draw with the first joint of your gun hand thumb has been shown many times to be the fastest of handgun presentation.

Spray and pray concerns me.

Again, no offense, but are you saying you would put your 300 pounds up against a 200 pound black bear??? I'd sell tickets to that and take bets if I haven't misinterpreted your post. Are you sure we are talking about the bigger brown bears or black bears?

Now...back to bear medicine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom