What's new

Who here uses Hair Tonic?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I'm starting to see some of the new pomade home-brewers putting out hair tonics now. Just curious if anybody uses them. I know that Pinaud also makes them. Apparently you can use it as a standalone conditioning product that provides the absolute bare minimum of control for those that like to keep their hair natural-looking or you can use it to revitalize a pomade and restyle it to refrain from having to add more product. Rustin claims it can also be used as a top coat to pomade for greater sheen. If anybody here uses it, how do you prefer to use it? I'm thinking about giving Rustin's a try as the scent sounds quite nice and maybe a bottle of Pinaud for comparison.

I have a few, and regardless of my hair being an eighth inch long, hair tonic gives a bit of shine to my stubble of a haircut, and also reduces itch and the occasional flake of dandruff. I use Jeris without oil, my fave, and also pinaud portugal and quinine, and also Clubman. I also use these four as aftershaves too. The ingredients give a moisturizing effect on my face which I like.

I use Vitalis, or the CVS knockoff of it, pretty regularly. It helps with styling and gives decent, natural-looking hold.

The scent is a little strong though, especially if you need to put a lot on.

I'll use a BIT of the Vitalis Knock-off, or the green Jervis, especially now that the summer is over. My hair is pretty dry. Using too much is overkill, but just a bit gives the hair some moisture and body, and less of that frizzy, out of control thing.

I use hair tonic every day! I mostly use vintage stock (*). Some offer great hold and I use them by themselves, others are light, and I follow them up with Clubman gel.

Aqua Velva Hair Tonic*
Avon Protein Hair Lotion*
Jeris Hair Tonic
Master Hair Tonic
Lucky Tiger Liquid Butch Hair Wax *
Pinaud Clubman Hair Tonic
Pinaud Eau de Portugal Hair Tonic *
Pinaud Eau de Quinine Hair Tonic *
Rexall "93" Hair Tonic (vintage glass) *
Robin Hood tonic *
VAM by Wildroot *
Vitalis Hair Tonic *

Looks like I forgot a couple. Old Spice Hair Tonic and Lucky Tiger Brilliantine.

Here's a group shot.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444925837.546529.jpg

Eau de Quinine and Eau de Portugal here. No oil and I have no hair.... I use them both as aftershaves as well as my scalp.

What would you recommend for a starter?

Depends what you are looking for in a Hair Tonic. If you're not looking for hold, then I'd recommend Jeris as a starter, cause it's easy to find (Sally Beauty). I love the smell, to me it's traditional Barbershop all the way. Or Any of the Pinaud tonics: Clubman, EdQ, or EdP. All those are about the same performance wise, just have different scents. I've never tried any formula that has oil that's separated out. I never saw the point of those, I'm mean, how are you supposed to get consistent results when you have to shake and pour every time.

If you just want a menthol rush: Osage Rub!

Master is OK, I dislike the scent and will not be buying it again. But it offers slightly more hold than Jeris.

If you want decent hold, the Vitalis is where it's at. Feels great on the scalp too.

Everything else I have is vintage and might be hard to track down. But hands down, the best of anything I've ever used is Aqua Velva Hair Tonic. Great hold, and work great to style long hair or short. (And there will be a NOS, sealed bottle in the upcoming auction!)

I use Lucky Tiger hair tonic for styling. Adds a bit of hold, for me anyway. Last all day, smells great too!

+1. I also like LT 3-purpose tonic. I also use Jerris and TOBS #74 on a regular basis. Obviously YMMV, but these all work for me.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Alright, I ran by the store yesterday and grabbed some Vitalis to start which is all they had. Giving it a run. I used it today and added some Pomade as well. It's actually added some hold. I would like to try Eau de Portugal next.

Alcohol denatured, water, fragrance, citral, limonene, linalool,yellow5

it has a very fleeting orange scent. Smells like fresh orange peel to me.

I should add that I buzz my hair off. It may not be as fleeting on hair, but I wouldn't know.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Mixing Vitalis with O'Doud's has given my hair a very natural look today. I have dark brown hair that often looks black with pomade in it but today the natural color is coming through very nicely. I am liking this stuff!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Alcohol denatured, water, fragrance, citral, limonene, linalool,yellow5

it has a very fleeting orange scent. Smells like fresh orange peel to me.

Thank you! The orange scent is why I'm leaning toward it. Sounds nicer than some of the scents of other products.

Top Bottom