What's new

Camping Out

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
.....a nip in the air. Camp fire songs. Row row row your boat gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily life is but a dream. Marshmallows, hot dogs, beans and a fire that is the center of all things. Your old bedroll that you've had since you were nine. A Buck knife that you take with you because your dad gave it to you so long ago. Eggs and bacon in the morning before a hike. A tent that smells and a flat pillow that you love.

.....bliss.

What foods do you take when camping out?

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Food always taste better when your camping.

Hutting, staying in a DOC hut. Not the flash ones on the main track but they have a fire and a few bunks to sleep on.
In with a heavy pack, half a days walk, stay for 3 or 4 days. Hunt, eat and sleep. If it was a good trip out with an very heavy pack.

Stopping in at the nearest shop for a pie on the way home.......bliss.

This is a old back country hut that I would stay at while hunting.

$hut.jpg

inside the hut.
Cooking off the fire or with the small gas cookers.

$Pararaki hut.png

We have a few DOC huts that are in some isolated places along the tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
.....a nip in the air. Camp fire songs. Row row row your boat gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily life is but a dream. Marshmallows, hot dogs, beans and a fire that is the center of all things. Your old bedroll that you've had since you were nine. A Buck knife that you take with you because your dad gave it to you so long ago. Eggs and bacon in the morning before a hike. A tent that smells and a flat pillow that you love.

.....bliss.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Our cabin at my Dad's ranch was perfectly rustic. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. We ate most everything out on the spit. Rabbit was a given, and when cooked right can be very tasty. My grandfather always made cowboy stew. He put everything in that stew...things I can neither spell or pronounce. It was always good.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris, what does Red Buck taste like? What other game have you hunted when camping?

a wild red stag is very gamey. Although the strength can very. If it's eating lush green grass then it is less gamey and if it a lot of berries and leaves etc then it reflect on the taste. I like the flavour a lot. I have not been out for years.
Red deer was the main hunt but if we saw a pig while out and about we would take it as well.
Other deer would be Sika, Fallow and Wapiti.

Our cabin at my Dad's ranch was perfectly rustic. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. We ate most everything out on the spit. Rabbit was a given, and when cooked right can be very tasty. My grandfather always made cowboy stew. He put everything in that stew...things I can neither spell or pronounce. It was always good.

Sounds a great place. Rabbit can be very nice, I have not had one in year.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
One thing that always made it into my pack was ginger nuts. Never got them from the government though.
Ginger nuts dunked in a hot cup of coffee in the middle of nowhere, what more could you want.

What was your treats for the trip if any.

Last edited by a moderator:
My seven-year-old and I have been camping five times already this year. He loves it!
Our last outing was on Sunday night, since he had Monday off from school and I took it off from work.
It was just a quickie -- we went to Floyd Bennett Field, NYC's old airport, in the far southern reaches of Brooklyn. It's part of the Gateway National Park.
Therefore, we didn't cook. We brought a cooler bag with some sushi rolls and vegetables, plus a sandwich and some fruits and crackers.

And it's just not camping for the little fellow unless s'mores are part of it!

Top Bottom