What's new

What's the most comfortable, softest brush type, especially for re-lathering?

Hi guys. Newbie question here. I have fairly sensitive skin, and find that my boar brush tends to be somewhat irritating when applying lather, especially when re-applying lather to shaved skin to prepare for multiple passes. My brush seems to be fairly well broken in with split ends on the hairs, and it feels pretty soft in my hand, but not as good as I would hope on my face.

Anyway, I was at AOS the other day, and got a chance to feel badger brushes for the first time. I had been thinking about buying one since I heard they were softer, but they were a bit scratchier than I was expecting, and I didn't find badger to feel all that much better than my boar when rubbing it on my hand.

What do you guys think is the softest, least irritating brush? Is it badger, and if so, which grade? Or is it synthetic, and if it is synthetic, what would be considered the better, softer brands?

Note: I primarily cream lather, so while I don't want something completely and totally floppy, stiffness is not a main point I'm looking for - comfort is. Especially since I already have a boar if I need something stiff to lather a soap.

I've got a Plisson knock-off that is pretty soft on the skin, and without much backbone, and I've heard the actual Plisson described much the same way. But it does produce a lather pretty well with TOBS cream, I just don't care for it myself, but it might be just what you're looking for

Softest grade of badger is silver tip. High mountain has soft tips and face feel but also pretty good backbone. I don't have much experience with synthetics so can't help there but I am sure you will get plenty of opinions on that soon b

If you bowl lather you can avoid a lot of irritation from the brush you are using. You have already made your lather in the bowl and need only use painting strokes to apply it.

It is hard to impossible to tell what the face feel of a brush will be like by trying it out when dry in a store. They seem to change charter when wet and in actual use, at least for me.

One of the brushes that has the soft face feel and little backbone in my rotation is a Plisson synthetic. Being a shaver that face lathers and not having sensitive it is not one of my favourite brushes for those reasons. Oth it just might be what a person with sensitive would be looking for.

Bob

I second the comment that you can't tell everything from feeling a dry brush. You need to get it wet and lathered up to really tell anything.

Softest is a silvertip. A LOFTY silvertip.

Shavemac's 2-band sliver tip knots are just super soft and superb right now. Zero scritch with great backbone and hooked tips. My American eats away hard soaps but not my face. I highly recommend these knots (the current batch is then only one I have experience with).

Between my boar, horse, badger and synthetic shave brushes, the softest feeling is my broken in 1305 boar from Semogue.

and amazing brush.

I have a badger silvertip, a Semogue 620 boar bristle,and just got the latest generation synthetic from Whipped Dog. Granted, I've only used the Semogue for three weeks, but that is the most lather hungry brush I've ever seen. I have to continuously reload it for the second and third pass. The silvertip makes tons of lather, and id very smooth, but by far, the synthetic is the smoothest and softest and still makes enough lather for three passes.

Shavemac's 2-band sliver tip knots are just super soft and superb right now. Zero scritch with great backbone and hooked tips. My American eats away hard soaps but not my face. I highly recommend these knots (the current batch is then only one I have experience with).

Going by the Shavemac 2-band silvertip thread, the finest may actually be a better bet if soft tips are the goal.

I suggest experimenting in an economical mode and trying a Whipped Dog silvertip, or a Vintage Blades Brand finest (for badger) - they are extremely soft tipped and not very expensive. The VB will have more backbone. If you want to try synthetic, I'd recommend Whipped Dog's synthetic - very soft tipped, like the Plisson, but more backbone and less cost.

I can't say enough about my Whipped Dog synthetic. I have pretty sensitive skin as well and I could lather 4+ times with no scratchiness or anything! I just plain love it!

Hi guys. Newbie question here. I have fairly sensitive skin, and find that my boar brush tends to be somewhat irritating when applying lather, especially when re-applying lather to shaved skin to prepare for multiple passes. My brush seems to be fairly well broken in with split ends on the hairs, and it feels pretty soft in my hand, but not as good as I would hope on my face.

Anyway, I was at AOS the other day, and got a chance to feel badger brushes for the first time. I had been thinking about buying one since I heard they were softer, but they were a bit scratchier than I was expecting, and I didn't find badger to feel all that much better than my boar when rubbing it on my hand.

What do you guys think is the softest, least irritating brush? Is it badger, and if so, which grade? Or is it synthetic, and if it is synthetic, what would be considered the better, softer brands?

Note: I primarily cream lather, so while I don't want something completely and totally floppy, stiffness is not a main point I'm looking for - comfort is. Especially since I already have a boar if I need something stiff to lather a soap.

My Whipped Dog synthetic is softer than my silvertip's and about 25% the price. Not saying it's better in every way as I'm still evaluating, but considering the price and that fact that you're mainly looking for softness I would definitely try the WD or maybe the Stirling synthetic before buying a silvertip. The WD is definitely not too floppy either. If you've never shaved with anything but a boar, I think you will be startled (in a good way) at the difference :thumbup1:

Last edited:
The softest brush in my collection is far & away the silvertip. the synthetic is soft and, being non animal, might prevent some allergy issues if that's something in play.

The softest brush in my collection is far & away the silvertip. the synthetic is soft and, being non animal, might prevent some allergy issues if that's something in play.

I try to point this out where I can, but animal based brushes do not retain any allergens.

For softness and total absence of scratch, it's a very close run thing between my Muhle V2 Silvertip Fibre and my Kent BK8. I marginally prefer the feel of the BK8, but that might just be me justifying its cost to myself.

These would be my recommendation, but since you are new, why not try a synthetic brush to see if you like them. Plisson is very nice, but any newer synthetic would work. Good luck. :001_smile

You want a synthetic. I had the same issue with my scalp (head shaver). Most of my irritation was coming from brush burn, not razor burn. I tried bowl lathering but never enjoyed it and my shaves weren't as good. My favorite synthetics are my Asylum Brush Works Scanlon and my TGC Synthetic, followed closely by my Whipped Dog 30mm. I've also heard good things about the Fine Angel Hair, Stirling, and new Razorock syths. Based on your input, I would stick to something between 22 and 24 mm. Look at the ones I recommended and pick something that fits into your budget. Any of them will feel WAY better than what you are using now.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have a WD synthetic that is quite soft, but my best soft brush is the Kent BK8 - exceedingly soft on the face and good backbone.

I have a couple of SOC boars that are very well broken in and quite soft on the tips. Not quite as soft as the Kent, but very nice.

Top Bottom