What's new

Kiss My Face shelf life

I bought 4 bottles of KMF cool mint moisture shave on Amazon because the price for just one with shipping was ridiculous and I can't find it anywhere near me. Will the 3 bottles stay good long enough for me to have the one I've started in a rotation with my other stuff, or should I 3017 it so that the other bottles don't go bad by the time I get to them? I have a 10-soap and 5-cream rotation, so it would take very long to use even just the first bottle up, and with KMF being mostly natural ingredients I wasn't sure of the shelf life.

I had a bottle of that go bad on me, it turned a nasty brown, but it took several years. Keep it cool and (of course) out of direct sunlight.

I bought a similar quantity of KMF creams for the same reason you did. I had similar concerns you did. I started using them alone daily and with other soaps with a few drops of glycerine. I used the Unscented or Mint with Arko, the Lavender with MWF, the Mint with Proraso. I also store them in the refrigerator door. It works pretty well for me.

I bought a similar quantity of KMF creams for the same reason you did. I had similar concerns you did. I started using them alone daily and with other soaps with a few drops of glycerine. I used the Unscented or Mint with Arko, the Lavender with MWF, the Mint with Proraso. I also store them in the refrigerator door. It works pretty well for me.

I have multiple bottles of KMF lime; hadn't thought about the possibility of one staling, but I might do this just with the "last" one or two containers. If I ever needed the fridge space back, could just take them out for a while. We would want to make sure nobody ever takes it for a weirdly-named dessert topping and eats it, though!

Last edited:
I have never seen the product, but it probably has a mention of shelf life somewhere on the packaging. Lots of other creams say 12 months after opening as a guide. As others have said, proper storage can help a lot.

I checked the ink jet dating on the bottom of a the last unopened pump bottle of KMF I had in the refrigerator. It reads K120312. I assume that is a December 3, 2012 dating. (If it was a European product it might be a March 12, 2012.) Guessing that is the manufacture date. So the cream I have was manufactured nearly three years ago. The cream is white and smells fresh. I don't see any use by recommendations.

The Real Shaving Company has a 12M designation, and an open jar. I assume that means the product is good for a year after opening. There is no manufacture date. So if you buy the cream and don't use it for 6 years, it's good thru year 7. That doesn't seem to make sense. They should put a manufacturing date on their product.

I have a few older creams. Think I will be using creams for a while. Good thing I like to use creams.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have an unopened bottle (3yo) and it's still fine. Dark cool place is the key I believe.

I checked the ink jet dating on the bottom of a the last unopened pump bottle of KMF I had in the refrigerator. It reads K120312. I assume that is a December 3, 2012 dating. (If it was a European product it might be a March 12, 2012.) Guessing that is the manufacture date. So the cream I have was manufactured nearly three years ago. The cream is white and smells fresh. I don't see any use by recommendations.

The Real Shaving Company has a 12M designation, and an open jar. I assume that means the product is good for a year after opening. There is no manufacture date. So if you buy the cream and don't use it for 6 years, it's good thru year 7. That doesn't seem to make sense. They should put a manufacturing date on their product.

I have a few older creams. Think I will be using creams for a while. Good thing I like to use creams.

Interesting thread since I nearly bought some of this last trip to Whole Foods. According to http://kissmyface.com/content/faq :

"We print a lot # on every product that determines the production date. It usually begins with a K followed by 6 numbers, which are a date in a month, day and year format. Generally, our products have a 3 year plus shelf life."

Although, I've often been able to push the defined expiration dates of products by storing in a cool dark place as others have stated.

Thanks for the update. Seems that we found their claim to be accurate. I think I remember reading somewhere that the European Union pushes manufacturers to meet a 36 month customer use for products upon opening.

I found this information provided by Mantic.

According to the FDA, which regulates product
labeling in the U.S., "There are no regulations or requirements under current
United States law that require cosmetic manufacturers to print expiration dates
on the labels of cosmetic products." The European Union's Cosmetic Directive
requires expiration dating only for products whose "minimum durability" is less
than 30 months. Many professional organizers advise replacing shaving products
every 2 years; however, high-quality wetshaving products are useable years
beyond that time frame if
stored properly
. "All natural" shaving products may have a shorter shelf
life because they have fewer preservatives, and they may have plant-derived
substances conducive to microbial growth. Use common sense when evaluating your
shaving soaps and cream by looking for changes in color or scent.

I have a travel-size bottle of KMF Fragrance-Free that I purchased about 7 years ago. I used it once or twice, and tossed it in the drawer where it slept for a long, long time. I recently dug it out and tried it again and it seems just fine.

Most expiration dates are rather short-sighted, and err on the side of caution. And many manufacturers will put one on to encourage you to buy more product sooner and more often than you really need to. This is true about most products. Toothpaste, Filters, Batteries, etc. Even perishable items like milk and eggs are still usable beyond their stated "Best By" dates.

I have a travel-size bottle of KMF Fragrance-Free that I purchased about 7 years ago. I used it once or twice, and tossed it in the drawer where it slept for a long, long time. I recently dug it out and tried it again and it seems just fine.

Most expiration dates are rather short-sighted, and err on the side of caution. And many manufacturers will put one on to encourage you to buy more product sooner and more often than you really need to. This is true about most products. Toothpaste, Filters, Batteries, etc. Even perishable items like milk and eggs are still usable beyond their stated "Best By" dates.

The last time we checked expiration dates in our fridge and pantry, I was wondering about some of the dates which I suspected were too conservative. Googled and found that the FDA had released, fairly recently I believe, an app for Apple and Android called FoodKeeper to help with that. The app description says the below. I don't have enough experience with it to really comment yet but seems like a great idea...

"The FoodKeeper can help consumers use food while at peak quality and reduce waste. The storage times listed are intended as useful guidelines and are not hard-and-fast rules. Some foods may deteriorate more quickly while others may last longer than the times suggested. The times will vary depending on the growing conditions, harvesting techniques, manufacturing processes, transportation and distribution conditions, nature of the food, and storage temperatures. Remember to buy foods in reasonable quantities and rotate the products in your pantry, refrigerator, and freezer.

Every year, billions of pounds of good food go to waste in the U.S. because consumers are not sure of its quality or safety. Food waste from households represents about 44% of all food waste generated in the U.S. By reducing food waste through buying appropriate quantities, storing foods properly, cooking what is needed and composting, consumers can save money and reduce the amount of food going to landfills."

Top Bottom