What's new

Can Someone Explain Orthodox vs Unorthodox Water Based Pomades?

Good afternoon gentlemen. I see much reference to orthodox or unorthodox water based pomades. I know quite a lot of this nomenclature is associated with The Pomp at the web site of the same name. I think that is correct and anyone feel free to correct me if that assumption is wrong. He works with a lot of oil based products but is fully engaged in trying the new school water based stuff as well. Almost all of these products are more artisan in nature than typical off the retail shelf items you would see at Walmart or Walgreens.

So with that, what is the difference between the two types? I use Railcar Fine Goods and to be frank, this is what I would call a very smooth gel. A fabulous one to be sure and leagues beyond anything like Clubman gels or the stuff you see at Sally's. I also have Daimon Barber #1 and Anchor's Teddy Boy Original. I think both of those may be unorthodox but I am certainly not sure. Please fill me in.

Unorthodox water based pomades don't dry like orthodox water based pomades. Pomades like Imperial, Suavecito, Layrite, Uppercut Deluxe, Railcar, Reuzel Red/Blue, Iron Society, and Prospectors are all examples of pomades that harden like gels and can leave hair feeling blocky or crunchy.

One big advantage that unorthodox water based pomades in my experience is ease of restyling. Every orthodox water based pomade I have tried to restyle got all flaky and useless. Like with O'Doud's the Based pomade, I can restyle it very easily and not have hard helmet hair. Cool Grease is a pomade that is unique because it looks like a gel and styles like a gel, but doesn't harden up. I need to get some of that and try it out. Daimon Barber No.1 is an unorthodox pomade. It doesn't harden up. I've never used Anchor's Teddy Boy Original, but I hear that one is as well. I think the characteristics to look for are them being water based, but holding like an oil based; but then rinsing out like conventional water based pomades.

I hope that makes sense.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I think the best thing you can do is order a jar of O'Doud's Water Based to get an idea. O'Doud's really kicked off this category and in my opinion is the best place to start with these products. Unorthodox Water-Based pomades act much more similarly to oil-based pomades. You really hit the nail on the head - Orthodox Water-Based pomades are pretty much hair gel with a thicker texture.

Thank you gents. I now know what the distinction is. Indeed, I have three of them; Daimon No.1, Teddy Boy Original, and Cool Grease Red. I can tell you from experience the red is much closer to a thick gel in performance than to something like Daimon No.1. It does not harden like a typical beauty supply brand gel but it sets more than the others I mentioned. No helmet head thankfully. O'doud's is on my list to try. Along with King Brown, and this and that...

O'Doud's Water Based Pomade was the first non-drugstore, mass marketed pomade I tried after much careful consideration and research. Much to my surprise, my experience has been that, while it may be water based (water is the first ingredient listed), it certainly doesn't "rinse out" with just water. To be fair, I don't think any claimed that it would, but it does take some effort to shampoo this stuff out.

It's not oily, but it is waxy! That being said, Todd, I'm guessing you'd enjoy it very much. The shine is moderate at best and the hold is very good. Application is...interesting. Rub it in your hands and the water escapes like a genie in a bottle before eventually evaporating and leaving you with a nice waxy, somewhat sticky pomade to style with.

Good information, Cory. What happens with the O'Doud's Water Based Pomade if you don't shampoo it out? I use the shampoo bar every other day and wonder what the O'Doud's would do when not washed out. I use Railcar now and it rinses out easily.

I am afraid this will happen:
https://www.facebook.com/seinfeld/videos/284919485899/

I might have to buy the Commando 450

"Low flow...? I don't like the sound of that..."

Basically, you retain a nice waxy build-up that you can add a little more pomade to and restyle the next day. Some like that, but my preference is to wash out nightly (for sleeping comfort).

I would have to respectfully disagree on the Prospector's, I used it as a 3017 and it never became hard, nor blocky crunchy it remained very easy to re-style if needed. And after reading this thread the current review on the field of T & H Hair management products would be to many of your likings

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
O'Doud's won't fully wash out with just water, but it does get much more broken down than a full-fledged oil based would. I love the stuff. None of the new style water based pomades have outstanding shine, they're all more of a medium shine. I've gotten pretty good shine with Grim Grease compared to the others. I love how naturally I can style my hair with them, though. I go for oil based stuff when I want something really shiny, but I have been loving the more natural texture and shine I get with the newer water based products.

Thank you gents. I now know what the distinction is. Indeed, I have three of them; Daimon No.1, Teddy Boy Original, and Cool Grease Red. I can tell you from experience the red is much closer to a thick gel in performance than to something like Daimon No.1. It does not harden like a typical beauty supply brand gel but it sets more than the others I mentioned. No helmet head thankfully. O'doud's is on my list to try. Along with King Brown, and this and that...

HI guys,
interesting discussion. Now also for me it's clear the difference between orthodox and unorthodox pomades.
I have used Reuzel, Suavecito...but now i'm using Barber Mind Ghost Pomade. Anyone of you ever try it?

Top Bottom