What's new

Shavemac D01 Silvertip "scritchiness"

Greetings. This is my first post in a LONG time.

I recently purchased, and received a Shavemac Silvertip d01 Three Band Brush with a 25mm knot (bulb shape) and length 56mm (length is 2mm shorter than standard/default setting). My usual preference is to use the brush to build lather on my face with either soap or a shave stick.

I've used the brush 3 times and its fantastic for that purpose, but I'm noticing a surprising amount of scritch ... like small needles reaching through the otherwise very soft surface. That's invigorating, I guess, but somewhat surprising from a brush that I thought was known for being soft with some backbone. Its not noticeable when used a painting motion, but its definitely noticeable when I'm using a circular motion to build some later.

When I look at the brush, especially from the side, I do see many (numbered in the dozens, maybe more) pure black tips that are at or near the surface of the brush. I assume they are the cause of the scratchiness.

A question to those of you out there that have similar brushes: Is this normal for this brush?

Many thanks!

The one brush I had labeled D01 was fairly scritchy, but it was a few years old. How old is your brush?

I had the same experience with the DO1 3-band that I bought last year directly from the Shavemac website - I have subsequently sold it. For the soft tip experience with Shavemac knots, I like the regular 3-band silvertip in bulb, and the new 2-band silvertip (non DO1) in fan. I also like the Finest grade in both bulb and fan. As a matter of fact, the latest batch of Finest that I got from Rudy Vey, is almost as soft.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to see if mine was an aberration. Apparently its not.

I didn't see this mentioned in other threads on the Shavemac D01 knot, but maybe I missed it. And its not that big of an issue for me. After all, life's not always smooth!

Thanks and the brush isn't going anywhere. I was able, last night, to pull out a half dozen or so of the greatest "offending" hairs ... very thick and not very flexible. Its better already!

Top Bottom