What's new

Ingrown hair/razor bump

Had my best shave of all time today! Only my 6th or 7th shave so not really saying much but I loved it. Anyway the issue I am having is that I have some old ingrown hairs or razor bumps that are still on my neck from last week when I messed up a bit. My question is how to get rid of them? I did such a great job on my neck today but I cant seem to get rid of those damn red bumps... I already waited about 4-5 days from my last shave but I really cant afford to do that again because of work.
Thanks in advance!

Watch out. Today she might be after a few ingrown hairs, but soon enough she'll want more: stray ear hairs and those wild hairs that grow in eyebrows. :blush:

If it's possible to tweeze them, do so using tweezers dipped in alcohol. Afterwards, wipe down the area with witch hazel. If you have tea tree oil(100%) on hand, apply that before going to bed each night.

If they are to short to tweeze( or no tweezers), avoid shaving over the area and let them grow out. Continue to apply tea tree oil to the area while awaiting growth.

No tea tree oil? Then use witch hazel to the area morning and night.

marty

According to WebMD, you're not supposed to pluck them. They can grow back even worse and become infected. If you go to WebMD and search ingrown hairs they have several home remedies. TendSkin (the stuff in the blue bottle) works pretty good at getting the redness to go down. If you use it, follow the instructions ( mainly about not putting on wet skin) and just dab it on affected area with a cotton ball. There's some confusion around about this stuff. Some who've reviewed it tried to use it like after shave - it isn't. You don't use much and you put it on before you go to bed, not after a shave. There are other treatments out there too like Anthony Ingrown Hair Treatment. I haven't tried this one because it's twice the price of TendSkin for less product.

According to WebMD, you're not supposed to pluck them. They can grow back even worse and become infected. If you go to WebMD and search ingrown hairs they have several home remedies. TendSkin (the stuff in the blue bottle) works pretty good at getting the redness to go down. If you use it, follow the instructions ( mainly about not putting on wet skin) and just dab it on affected area with a cotton ball. There's some confusion around about this stuff. Some who've reviewed it tried to use it like after shave - it isn't. You don't use much and you put it on before you go to bed, not after a shave. There are other treatments out there too like Anthony Ingrown Hair Treatment. I haven't tried this one because it's twice the price of TendSkin for less product.

I'm another proponent of TendSkin. I use it on my scalp and for me it works better than anything else I've tried. I agree with the comment above. Follow the instructions and apply it with a cotton ball, don't just splash it on like aftershave. It won't work as well if you do.

I've found that I am most prone to ingrown hairs when I try to get BBS on my neck. I just don't try to shave as close and it is not that big a deal.

As far as dealing with them, I take a needle (cleaned with alcohol) and pull the hair free. I don't pluck it, but once it is no longer under the skin it heals up quick.

I was speaking from personal experience. Having suffered w/ them greatly, following all the advice from the dermatologists who told me not to shave or just trim w/ clippers I realized one day that the problem was the hair itself. As long as it was in my skin or under my skin, it was causing problems.

I only tweezed those hairs that were actually in the bump but partially grown out. The ones that I could see that were completely in the bump, weren't tweezed out, but were loosened from the skin using a safety pin dipped and fired in alcohol. I remember on one occasion, my GF @ the time completely tweezed my entire face- I had no break outs or any problems for a week which was great.

Even now whenever I get the odd ingrown, I attack it with tea tree oil if it's under the skin or remove it if it is above the skin.

Having had to sleep w/ numerous ingrowns making my entire face sore, the only relief I found was in removing them.

marty

I never had any issues with them being plucked out. TBH, it's almost instant relief once the hair comes out. Like I said, good thing she doesn't have to pluck them out that often.

Top Bottom