What's new

AR 15's?

So what do you all think if they are banned and it would be illegal to buy one or maybe even own one and that looks like a possibility for the near future in the wake of all of these school shootings? I would think that bolt actions and single shots will experience a new surge in popularity.
cottontop

That is part of the reason that I own one. Out here in CA, I didn't think it was possible to get one so when I did some research and figured out that I could, I did. Like others have said, it seems like the guys at your range just need to either learn some proper range manners or need to be more mature. At the range where I have gone, they have some screens that you can mount on the table so your brass doesn't hit the person next to you.

I'm about accurate shooting, and considering that I put my AR together piece by piece, the fun of getting it accurate is what I like and enjoy. Here in Cali we are limited to 10 rounds, so it's not a situation where we blow through 30 rounds shooting nowhere like Rambo lol.

I guess everyone has there own thing. I mean, just think of the AR-15 as the Fatboy of the firearm world, except since it's so easy to find, everyone and their mother has one.

Reading one of my previous posts, I think I may have been a little vague. The reason I wouldn't buy an AR-15 isn't because I think it's a poor rifle, it's because I just really never want to pick one of the things up again when there are so many other choices available to me. I'll still continue to make fun of those who do, though........

There is a long tradition of military arms moving into the civilian sector in the US. The reason - because they're good guns with a focus on modularity, durability and low cost. To me, that's what it's all about. When the M1 came out (and later became available via surplus), it was likely thought to be very "military" as well, but you won't find many saying that today. The same was probably said of the 1911. This is a 50+ year old platform we're talking about here, so it can't because it's super high tech, or anything like that. I hear you on the "tactical" crowd - but honestly I think that's a small percentage of owners. For nearly all of the owners I've talked to, it's just a very nice semi-automatic platform with easy breakdown, and built with the ability to tailor to one's needs. I myself have been surprised at how fun it's been to work with the AR, and on re-loads for them, and how versatile it can be. It is heavy, relatively speaking, but I could certainly see myself hunting smaller game with one, or hunting just about anything in the AR-10/.308 variants. Of course they're being built in a number of other calibers now as well.

Last edited:
Great observation.

Military-type rifles are for those who have never actually been in the military and wish they would have been. I carried around and shot thousands of rounds through an M16 for 13 years and the AR-15 is the last rifle I would buy even though they probably are more accurate than a standard-issue M-16.

Most people who buy "tactical" firearms and gear don't even know the difference between "tactical" and "strategic." For them, "tactical" means "black, cool and what the cops and military use." Tactical pistols, tactical rifles, tactical shotguns, tactical knives, tactical tomahawks, tactical utensil sets. Where does it end?

I would never invest in what many call the "mouse gun". I was very unimpressed with them since basic training, and I don't have to go into details as to why.

The best battle rifle that ever was (and is) the M14 or clone. .308 is big, accurate, and hits hard out at a long distance. :thumbup1:

Well heck. Why not AR15's? Each to their own for whatever reason they want it. This is still America, so far, and it is not illegal to own one for any reason I have heard so far. In saying that, I do not own one, even though I have built up a lower for one just to see if I can do do it. No upper purchased yet and I may never get one or build one. I was in the military for 8 years and so what? You don't have to have been in the military to want one much less own one. I have a bolt action rifle in .308 and I also have a Mini 30 semi auto that I like very much. Lever actions and several .22 semi autos that I also like to shoot. Snobbery.......maybe? Intolerance.....maybe? Whatever floats your boat. As far as rudeness on the range.......you bet. But, you can get that anywhere you go. Free. No charge. The musket was the premier weapon in its day and the military and the public also had them for protection and hunting for food. Why should the public now not be afforded the same?

Mike

Hey, we all know there are responsible and sane folks who buy, build, tune and shoot "assault rifles" and buy stuff at the Army Surplus store. I've done it; most of us have. I think we can all agree we're talking about the stooges who "gear up" then show up at the range and act like morons where everybody can see them. Like it or not, this has a negative effect on the public's perception and is also handily used for political purposes as we've seen with magazine bans, etc.

Case in point would be the 300-pound slob who shows up at the range in full black BDU's, a duty belt with a 15" "survival knife" on it, an "assault rifle" with 30 loaded mags and commences blasting away, probably yelling profanities as he does so until he runs out of ammo 5 minutes later. People these days feed on this stuff, especially when everybody can videotape anything at any time.

The politics of opinion are clearly seen in the public's recent outcry against police departments getting a little carried away with surplus military stuff and they're now finding their supply of that stuff getting cut off after it became a high profile news story with events that unfolded this past year. The White House made that move happen really fast.

So, please, if you do buy and shoot a "military assault rifle," don't act like a stooge whilst doing so. If you want to be all "tactical" and "militia-ready," go participate in some paintball combat or something.....

There is a long tradition of military arms moving into the civilian sector in the US. The reason - because they're good guns with a focus on modularity, durability and low cost. To me, that's what it's all about. When the M1 came out (and later became available via surplus), it was likely thought to be very "military" as well, but you won't find many saying that today. The same was probably said of the 1911. This is a 50+ year old platform we're talking about here, so it can't because it's super high tech, or anything like that. I hear you on the "tactical" crowd - but honestly I think that's a small percentage of owners. For nearly all of the owners I've talked to, it's just a very nice semi-automatic platform with easy breakdown, and built with the ability to tailor to one's needs. I myself have been surprised at how fun it's been to work with the AR, and on re-loads for them, and how versatile it can be. It is heavy, relatively speaking, but I could certainly see myself hunting smaller game with one, or hunting just about anything in the AR-10/.308 variants. Of course they're being built in a number of other calibers now as well.

Well said (IMO). This is mostly why I want one.

Before NY went totally crazy (was already there, they just made it worse) I had two AR15's and a third one ready to be built for my wife. Instead of dealing with their ridiculous rules, away they went.

I got into them for fun (I like to tinker and they're VERY easy to work on), competition (being competitive it's fun for me to participate in events) and hunting. Yeah you can hunt with them - NY limits mag sizes to five. I built a 6.8SPCII for hunting and a 5.56 for fun/competition. My wife's was going to be a 5.56 for plinking too.

They can easily be as accurate as a bolt and if you build an AR-10 you get the thump of the .308 that many desire at distance.

I agree on the "tacti-cool fred's" out there. They show up, think they're badass and wind up just making a fool of themselves at best and endangering others at the worst.

The funny part is - an AR-15 is really no different than ANY other semi-auto rifle out there. Most in the public / media are scared of them because of the made up term "assault rifle". When something is demonized many folks jump on the bandwagon without making an effort to educate themselves appropriately.

It's one thing to dislike firearms because they aren't your cup of tea (as can be with any hobby) it's entirely another to label them baby killing machines because of something you read on facebook and crusade against their existance.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Hey, we all know there are responsible and sane folks who buy, build, tune and shoot "assault rifles" and buy stuff at the Army Surplus store. I've done it; most of us have. I think we can all agree we're talking about the stooges who "gear up" then show up at the range and act like morons where everybody can see them. Like it or not, this has a negative effect on the public's perception and is also handily used for political purposes as we've seen with magazine bans, etc.

Case in point would be the 300-pound slob who shows up at the range in full black BDU's, a duty belt with a 15" "survival knife" on it, an "assault rifle" with 30 loaded mags and commences blasting away, probably yelling profanities as he does so until he runs out of ammo 5 minutes later. People these days feed on this stuff, especially when everybody can videotape anything at any time.

The politics of opinion are clearly seen in the public's recent outcry against police departments getting a little carried away with surplus military stuff and they're now finding their supply of that stuff getting cut off after it became a high profile news story with events that unfolded this past year. The White House made that move happen really fast.

So, please, if you do buy and shoot a "military assault rifle," don't act like a stooge whilst doing so. If you want to be all "tactical" and "militia-ready," go participate in some paintball combat or something.....

Well said. Just because you have a First Amendment right to speak freely, doesn't mean you can't be judged an *** while doing so. Same goes for the Second.

There's lot's of clowns at the range, this time of year especially, and you need to watch out for the nuts.

The funny part is - an AR-15 is really no different than ANY other semi-auto rifle out there. Most in the public / media are scared of them because of the made up term "assault rifle". When something is demonized many folks jump on the bandwagon without making an effort to educate themselves appropriately.

It's one thing to dislike firearms because they aren't your cup of tea (as can be with any hobby) it's entirely another to label them baby killing machines because of something you read on facebook and crusade against their existance.

Very true, etakmit. Whenever a mass killing occurs and everybody starts talking about gun control, I like to remind everybody of this. 1927, mind you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

So what do you all think if they are banned and it would be illegal to buy one or maybe even own one and that looks like a possibility for the near future in the wake of all of these school shootings? I would think that bolt actions and single shots will experience a new surge in popularity.
cottontop

I dont see a national ban being a danger for a while. Some back door legislation is possible as mentioned above, but state level is more what I'd be concerned about if I lived in a state prone to that sort of thing. Thing is, semi rifles weren't used in the more recent attacks, though you wouldn't know that from the news.

Keep an eye over the holidays on Palmetto State Armory, they might have a sale on one of their lightweight premium uppers. I have one and I love it. They have some great sales over Thanksgiving and Xmas, I think I got mine during a Thanksgiving sale.

Yeah.

$fatty and snowboots.jpg

These guys didn't help much.

I enjoy ARs. They are fun to shoot and the ammo is now cheap again.

I do remember when I bought my first and opened the box. It really hit me that this was more of a machine or piece of equipment than the fine wood guns I've always owned. I just didn't have the same feeling about it that I do with a Model 70, etc.

The upside of that is I can build them and work on them. I never felt I could do that with the others.

I would think that bolt actions and single shots will experience a new surge in popularity.
cottontop

Or, your high powered "Sniper Rifles" will become the next gun to be targeted by the anti-gunners.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I own an Ar as well as a couple other handguns and support our 2a rights. However IMO to say an Ar with a 3 gun single stage tuned trigger, compensator red dot optics and 30 round magazine is the same as any other semi auto rifle is slightly misleading. Rather trying to make an AR seem less lethal we should focus more on the idiots using them for nefarious purposes. If the gun control guys start believing every semi auto is the same as an AR we will lose all semi autos.

I don't care a lot for the AR style rifles, I lean towards Mauser, falling block, rolling block, etc. I love a highly accurate rifle and spending quality time at the range. That being said, I fully support anyone owning ANY gun they want as long as they are responsible. I grin and shake my head at the "tacticool" guys at the range running 500 rounds down range in the time it takes me to fire 10. But hey, its their money and hobby, be safe and have fun.

Now before I get a bad rap, I do have a S&W M&P-15 I use for duty (and fun), and a Beretta CX-4 carbine (9mm) just to keep the anti's upset.

$m4_sopmod.jpg

Not everyone is interested in bench rest shooting. Your question is kind of like someone who likes classic cars asking what people see in modern muscle cars. Short answer to the rifle question is that they're fun, and they have a greater versatility than a bolt action or single shot.

Bingo. AR15s are popular among shooters because they're lightweight, low recoil, and with their adjustable stocks, they are popular with women shooters and young shooters, who finally can have a rifle that fits them.

Most of all, they're fun to shoot.

I have a pal at the range. He comes in twice a week and fires off three or four shots from the rest with one of his many, many traditional military or hunting rifles, then packs up and goes home. (He'll tell you the complete chronological history of each rifle if you let him.) He gets his jollies that way. Good for him!

I have no interest in bench shooting apart from zeroing a sight or testing ammo. Nor do I hunt. My AR15 carbine is for home defense. If you have the home to suit it--as I do (big, open spaces and longer potential shots than I'd like to have with a pistol)--and with a red dot sight for my geezer eyes, it's hard to beat. So I go to the range with it and shoot silhouettes from 50 yards and in, offhand. Shoot all the tight groups you want, I'm going for minute of bad guy.

It's also great for the occasional (4-legged) varmint.

I never play video games, I have no interest in tacticool. I admit that buying a rifle the left doesn't want me to be able to own has a certain charm, and if there's ever a widespread loss of civility, I feel equipped.

Top Bottom