What's new

Pudding

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
To me pudding is an old fashioned treat. Yes I realize that there are a multitude of puddings that people put into kids' lunchs (I'm a kid!) but I'm thinking of more traditional puddings that you have enjoyed. Maybe you have a traditional family recipe you would like to share?

Pudding, here we come. (no Bill Cosby please)

Italians make the best pudding (budino)
melt 6 oz bittersweet (50%) chocolate + 1 stick (4 oz) butter
optional: stir in 1-1/2 tablespoons rum or brandy (optional) & 3 tablespoons semolina flour (optional)
beat to consistency of soft whipped cream: 3 large eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, pinch of salt
fold 1/3 eggs into chocolate mix, then pour chocolate over eggs and fold until blended
pour into six 8+ oz ramekins
375F oven about 20 minutes until puffy, crusted, and cracked, but still gooey inside
serve hot, or...
let cool then cover and sit at room temperature up to a day.
they'll cave in as they cool. You can puff them again with 10 minutes in a 375F oven

Last edited:
Dr. Oetker's organic puddings are surprisingly good. Box mix, yes. But they do remind me of decades past and real pudding . . .

Now I want pudding, darnit!

There's also a restaurant here with tembleque (thick coconut pudding). Also excellent.

I like a good bread pudding.

When I was a kid it seemed like there was always a bread pudding in the house. Scoop of vanilla ice cream and a flavor of home canned fruit sauce? (Always rhubarb, lotsa wild plum or maybe raspberry). If you didn't have ice cream, just some plain heavy cream was good too. MMmm Mmm.

A simple rice pudding.

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup long grain white rice
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Cinnamon, for garnish
Directions:
1. In a medium pot, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer. Cook until the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
2. Add the milk and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Cook for 45 minutes.
3. Add the sugar and cook for another 5 minutes
4. Pour into serving bowl, cool, and refrigerate.
5. Fluff and sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.

A simple rice pudding.

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup long grain white rice
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Cinnamon, for garnish
Directions:
1. In a medium pot, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer. Cook until the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
2. Add the milk and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Cook for 45 minutes.
3. Add the sugar and cook for another 5 minutes
4. Pour into serving bowl, cool, and refrigerate.
5. Fluff and sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.

Can we put raisins in it, can we can we??

Top Bottom