What's new

Parker 26C broken, advice on replacement? (Warning: Attached image may be traumatic)

Well I bet this doesn't happen often, but I picked up my Parker 26C yesterday and the handle fell off! :blink:
More specifically, it seems to have failed where the threaded central shaft connects to the cap (I think that's the name?)
I never dropped it so the only thing I can think of is that I must have over-tightened it, but it's not like I used a wrench or anything... :001_huh:

Anyway, I have doubts about repair\replacement as I bought it from WetShave NZ who have since sadly closed down, a shame as they had really good prices.

I'm currently using some horrible disposable Schick razors I had lying around which I would like to get away from as soon as possible.
The Parker 26C was pretty good as a first DE razor and I liked it, but its demise gives me a good excuse to get something better.

Can anyone suggest a better quality razor which would perform about the same? I think I'd want something about the same weight or maybe even a little heavier, though I don't think I necessarily need a long handle like the Parker.

Note, I live in New Zealand, so range is somewhat limited, and overseas shipping is usually ridiculous.

Attachments

• $DSC02187.jpg
    $DSC02187.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 186
I'd go the vintage route if I were in your shoes.
If you go with modern stainless steel razors and find overseas shipping prices ridiculous, you won't stop laughing.

Sorry to see that you lost your razor to zamak.

Check out some antique/flea markets and pick up some vintage Gillette's.

You can get them replated if you like, but the brass lasts forever.

Try a New, Old, Superspeed or Tech

Zamak strikes again! I'm a huge fan of vintage and old Gillettes seem to last forever while being dirt cheap. That's what I've done at least - but, I will admit that I have an ATT S2 on order.

I had an Edwin Jagger do the same thing after falling over - they were very good and replaced it when I explained the situation and showed the original receipt... Parker may do the same for you. I have to be honest though and say I didn't have much confidence in the head after that so went the vintage route. If you can find one, an old Gillette NEW would be the best long term investment if you like open comb razors but even a Tech would be a good short term investment that would get you away from the disposables while you look for a NEW.

Cheers
Steve

You might even find that one of the Vintage razors (Gillette Old Type) top caps fit on that baseplate and that you could continue to use whats left of it. Not sure if a Fatip's head would fit. It's a more aggressive razor though and made entirely of brass.

You might even find that one of the Vintage razors (Gillette Old Type) top caps fit on that baseplate and that you could continue to use whats left of it. Not sure if a Fatip's head would fit. It's a more aggressive razor though and made entirely of brass.

If the Parker has a 5mm thread the Gillette parts should fit - I have a few Tech's and a NEW and they all fit the EJ handles that I have. If you found a 3 piece NEW type with a knackered handle (for the right price) you could still use the old Parker handle.

If its still under warranty, which is 12 months, then I recommend you find the NZ distributor for Parker and get in contact with them.

I highly doubt you'll have any luck by contacting Parker directly for support. They provide absolutely no contact details on their web-site for customer support. You would think that this is done on purpose as they would push end-user support back on to their reseller channel.

My EJ head was 6 years old and they didn't quibble - I'd still say have a go at getting in touch through their website and explain about the retailer no longer existing... it can't be a unique situation.

If you prefer more aggressive razors, I recommend you to try the Fatip Grande. I also think that it's brass made. Great razor. Also it's cheaper than Parker, I am sure you'll like it.

The Merkur 25C appears to be a similar open-comb design with a long handle for about $10 more than a Parker.
I happened to go to Parkershaving's web page, Contact, Customer Service. They have a Contact Us link only for dealers and potential dealers. The rest of us? "Please contact your retailer or stockist where you purchased your products. They will be happy to help you."

Top Bottom