What's new

Your Favorite Minimalist Shave

I'm fairly minimal daily right now I think anyway?
Merkur, EJ STF, whatever cream and a splash of usually Skin Bracer.
'Going Minimal' for me would be weekends, where I face lather and skip the bowl.

Hmmm, lrt's see:

Lab Series Multi Action Face Wash in shower
Soap/cream/glycerine überather
Mergress razor
Lab Max Water Lotion
ASB
EDT

That's as minimal as I get unless travelling, when I'll use a Tabac stick instead of überlather

My minimalism is that I've settled on argan oil as a facial cleanser/pre-shave and witch hazel followed by unrefined shea butter as post-shave. Otherwise, I have three brushes, two soaps, and quite a few razors on the go.

I use the same razor, blade, soap and brush every day. For me it's the perfect set-up so "when it ain't broke, why fix it?"...

ATT Kronos H1 razor with Gillette Silver Blue blade.

VDH Deluxe soap.

Simpson #46 Berkeley brush.

Cheap classic aftershaves: Barbasol, Aqua Velva or Old Spice

Every day this delivers an ideal two-pass DFS for me. I've got my gear all dialed-in and am just enjoying the heck out of each day's shave.

Arko "Moist" Shaving cream, VHD badger brush, 1963 Gillette Slim, and the post shave varies. This is more my quick, go to shave.

Here's what I reach for when I "go minimal." Not only is it a bare-bones setup, the shaves are equal or superior to the shaves I get with any of my other razors, blades or products. I'd just stick with this every day but it gets kinda boring.....

Noxzema Original
Gem G-Bar

What's your preferred "minimalist" combo?

This post almost got me in trouble with my October GRU! :tongue_sm

I'd never heard of anyone using Noxzema CC to shave with, and luckily the Wife had a barely used tin of the Moisturizing version I could try out. Man oh man was that a great shave! Clogged up the razor a few times but nothing terrible, and my skin was amazingly supple afterward. That's gonna be a keeper moving forward - I love the minimalist concept as opposed to some of the guys on here that are all decked out.

I kind of want to try it with the brush, but I'm nervous to see how it'll behave trying to clean the brush out afterward.

Good stuff!:thumbup1:

I shave "minimal" every day.

Gillete SS loaded with a Personna blue lab.

VDH deluxe, face lathered with a fairly inexpensive badger brush (forgot the brand).

Whatever after shave balm or splash I have on hand - once again inexpensive.

This yields a 2 pass WTG DFS shave.

For those who use canned foamy, how do you do a 2nd pass? Do you get more out of the can to lather for the 2nd pass, or do you use residual lather from the 1st pass?

Shave in the shower using whatever body soap is available. Alum block on exit. The way our grandfathers used to shave.

This is the minimalist setup I use every day:

proxy.php

I have used this setup daily for the past two months and plan to continue doing so. Once in a while I might use a different soap and/or after shave just for grins but will likely return to my normal daily setup (or evolve a new one if I like said different products enough to switch permanently).

What kind of razor is that?

My minimalist shave would be my Gillette Red tip, SHAVE MY FACE shaving cream, and Generic Personna blade, which actually works guite well. Second choice would be my Maggard MR1, Maggard "London Barber shop soap, Generic Personna blade.

This post almost got me in trouble with my October GRU! :tongue_sm

I'd never heard of anyone using Noxzema CC to shave with, and luckily the Wife had a barely used tin of the Moisturizing version I could try out. Man oh man was that a great shave! Clogged up the razor a few times but nothing terrible, and my skin was amazingly supple afterward. That's gonna be a keeper moving forward - I love the minimalist concept as opposed to some of the guys on here that are all decked out.

I kind of want to try it with the brush, but I'm nervous to see how it'll behave trying to clean the brush out afterward.

Good stuff!:thumbup1:

The Moisturizing variety shaves just as well as the Original but doesn't have the strong scent. I'll use either one. I've used it with a cheap $5 Burma-Shave brush I picked up at the grocery store but but didn't find the brush improved the shave any. Glad to hear you liked the shave with it.

This is my travel set up.

Art of Shaving travel brush found at an antique shop unused $5
Ever Ready 1912 Found at the same shop $5 (one of my favorite razors)
Arko Shave stick $2
Ted Pella coated blade .50
Clubman AS $5.99

Not bad, about 6 months of shaving can be had for about $30 for another 6 months add another $10 pretty minimalist.

Top Bottom