What's new

Information on Plumb Axes?

Hey Y'all ...

I have some close-ups of a cleaned up axe head and I was hoping someone could help me with it’s age.

The axe was in a toolbox of my Grandfather’s (Mom’s Dad) with some of his tools and some of my Father’s tools.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

$Post 1 .jpg

$Post 2 .jpg

$Post 3 .jpg

$Post 4 .jpg

$Post 5 .jpg

Hmm. Wonder what the MM66 means? I see in one shot it was stamped over the logo. Was your Grandpa involved in military, fire, forestry or so
mething like CCC? Because those look like after-market stamps used to ID issued equipment. No info on the manufacturer or age...

@ Donnchadh_Sempill:

Yeah, I dunno what the MM66 stamp is about. Grandpa wasn’t in the CCC. When I asked Mom, she said he was in the predecessor of today’s National Guard. So to my understanding it would have been the New Hampshire State Militia. Maybe if I figure out the meaning of the MM66 stamp, that might help with tracing the provenance.

Rico

Very cool heirloom. Don't you wish it could talk. Perhaps a local or state historical society or archive could answer your questions about the markings.

Since I can't top all these bad jokes, I'll just make you drool. :devil:

Pre-WWII Case Double-bitted Hatchet:
proxy.php

Original handle and sheath. :001_smile

Never saw a double bit hatchet before? How heavy is that head? I prefer a camp axe myself 1 1/2- 1 3/4 lb head.

Mike

The total weight of head and handle is 1.52 pounds. It's primary uses would be cutting saplings or limbs, splitting kindling, and hewing zombies.

Top Bottom