What's new

i need cleaning assistance

I picked this guy up at a pawn shop and I've used scrubbing bubbles, barbicide, toothpaste and even the borax and foil method and it still has this gritty white film, kind of like a calcium deposit. would a vinegar bath be of any help? $three piece old.jpg

Try some ketchup. Apply it and let it sit for a few minutes, then remove. It is acidic, but not nearly as much as vinegar. Also, I have used those synthetic scrub pads from time to time on especially stubborn razors. Just be careful not to over-scrub.

Whats it plated in?,nickel,silver,chrome?.I presume nickel...

I would be tempted to hit a little bit,that wouldn't be too noticeable,,gently, with metal polish,and a micro fibre.Once you know what the plating is,and even more importantly,what the whiteness is ,then you can get to work on it.

TBH,that razor looks so bad,I personally,would take it straight to the polishing wheels,and get it ready for a full restore/re-plate.

Last edited:
Very hard to tell from the picture how much finish is actually left there, but I would give it an hour or so in hot water and vinegar, 50/50, then a good scrub with a tooth brush and Dawn dish soap. That will at least get it serviceable and decent.

Single Rings are plated in silver. Blue Magic did wonders for mine - but it didn't have that film. So, maybe a short soak in a 4 parts water to 1 part CLR bath followed by silver polish or Blue Magic. The film might be mineral deposits and the CLR should take care of that - if that's the case. Don't use Brasso - it'll take the silver off.

i think the majority of the silver is already gone, there's a lot of brass color to it already.

It looks to me as though it may have been in a fire. I'd go with the dremel and the buffing pad. But that's just me. Or you could try an ultrasonic bath.

i think the majority of the silver is already gone, there's a lot of brass color to it already.
Yeah, I'm thinking that that is patina on the exposed brass. I suspect you'll end up using the ketchup or a vinegar solution to remove it.

i can't begin to say how wonderful it is to ask for help in social media and not get a single troll.

That's what I thought about my Single Ring too. But, after hitting it with Blue Magic (available at auto parts stores), I found that to not be the case. The silver was mostly intact.

That's what I thought about my Single Ring too. But, after hitting it with Blue Magic (available at auto parts stores), I found that to not be the case. The silver was mostly intact.

I think you're right. I did a vinegar bath which cleared away most of the crusty stuff. It's now looking more like tarnished silver. I was able to make out the serial # on the barrel now too. 138727. If the date charts are correct, does that put this as the first year of production for the single ring? The $9.95 price tag on this is definitely worth it if just for conversation value.

Never seen that type of corrosion on any of my old razors before.
Would love to see how you make out with some of the suggestions here. Hope you do well.
It might be that an aggressive buffing and replate is the only option.

Good Luck.

Top Bottom