What's new

To grow a beard or not to grow a beard?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I am faced with a dilemma.

I once grew a beard for 6 months. It was the most epic beard any of my friends have ever seen. Every time I saw one of them the first thing they mentioned was how awesome my beard is. Even strangers would be like "dude, love the beard" and I'd be like "dude, it's awesome I know".

Well, I got bored and job hunting and decided to shave it. All the way off. My friends were like NOOOOOOOOO. I was like SORRRYYYYY!!!. They were like GROW IT BACK! I was like MAYBE ONE DAAAYYY. This was...3 years ago?
Well I haven't grown it back. And to this day my friends still bring up the beard.

I told you that story to tell you this. My best friend, like bestest bestie ever friend, is getting married next year. She has asked me to be in the wedding. I was like FO SHO. She's like you know what would be awesome? Your beard in my wedding. I'm like hmmmm you want me to grow my beard back for your wedding? She's like FO SHO. So I says "I'm on it. I will start the growing on Oct. 22nd. And continue the growing all year. When your wedding rolls around It will be exactly 1 year of growth". She's getting married on Oct. 22nd next year.

So enter my dilemma......

I've got decades worth of shave stuff to use. I just got a brand new amazing brush. I recently discovered Wilkinson Sword Shave Sticks as being probably the best shave soap ever (thanks to a PIF from an awesome dude!). I feel a slight case of RAD and BAD kicking in...

And I agreed to grow a beard for a whole year.

What the heck was I thinking?

So what is a guy to do!? Do I dissapoint my BBEF and say "ummm about that beard, ya see...I got like a lot of shave stuff and I really enjoy using it all. I got this cool blue brush with real badger hair, and I just discovered a new soap that I really really like. Here feel my face...YEAH! BBS! It's that new soap and brush! So...like...well, I'd be happy to wear a fake beard to your wedding, but a real one...not so much".

Or do I say "ok guys, bad news...I'm going to have to neglect you all for a year. I got some serious beard growing to do and I promised a friend I would. Oh don't get all droopy on me Frank, screw your lid back on Mr. Stetson. This is just for one year, and then I'll be right back in the saddle. Look, I'll probably even add some new friends along the way so it won't be all bad. Yes, I promise to use you first Wilkinson. Now don't anyone go sour on me, see you in a year. XOXO"

Why do I feel like the only man in the world that has ever faced this dilemma?

Go for a beard style that requires daily shaving of the cheek and neck lines.

It is more work than shaving your whole face. Trust me on this one.

Dude, if you said to your bff that you'd grow the beard for her wedding, just grow it out. Do you have to have a yeard or are you allowed to get away with a trimmed well maintained beard? Since it comes in full, I'd grow it!

If my beard looked like yours I'd never shave. I wish I could grow a big orange Viking beard, but I can't and the wife prefers me clean shaven anyway. All that shaving gear will still be around in a year anyway if you decide to shave it off again. Congrats to your friend.

Every man should grow a beard at some (or multiple) points in his life. I, not too long ago, went about 9 months without shaving other than the bottom part of my neck - it just gets out of control and looks ridiculous. Perhaps if I had gone two or three years, it would have merged with my facial hair. But, after now having grown luxuriant beards about 4 times in my life, I must say that I'm done. No mas. Too much itching and my continuous desire to stroke my beard got out of hand. I've heard that'll make you go blind :001_rolle...

But, the crumb catcher feature was really nice. Provided many a late night snack.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Grow it back. It's for a good cause, for a best friend. It's not like you'll forget everything you know about shaving while growing it. It will shave back off.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You all have some good points.

If I do this I'll keep the lines tight. I want to look somewhat professional still for my job. They are not against beards though.

I will just miss using my gear to its fullest potential!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
On October 22, 2016, what will you feel better about: using some shaving stuff or having that beard for your friend at her wedding? What will you feel worse about: neglecting some shaving stuff or not having your beard at your friend's wedding?

It's her wedding, man.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
On October 22, 2016, what will you feel better about: using some shaving stuff or having that beard for your friend at her wedding? What will you feel worse about: neglecting some shaving stuff or not having your beard at your friend's wedding?

It's her wedding, man.

Possibly the best point here. :thumbup1:

BUT...it is MY face....:bored:

Go for a beard style that requires daily shaving of the cheek and neck lines.

It is more work than shaving your whole face. Trust me on this one.

Agreed. Much harder than it seems, but can look pretty awesome. Also, I think we need to see an epic picture of the epic beard to make our final conclusions.

Having a beard is like having a boat. The two best days are the day you get it and the day you get rid of it. I still sometimes think about how fantastic it felt to get rid of my last serious face fungus more than 10 years ago. It's a truly magnificent feeling. The trick is, to get rid of it, you have to grow it. Life is funny that way.

In the mean time, you can trade all you AD's for beard oil and moustache wax AD's. Of course nothing about growing a beard requires you to grow a moustache, so there's some prime shaving real estate there. Good luck however you go!

Grow the beard and shave the rest of the body hair instead! I'm sure you'll learn something which we'll all beg you not to share with us :)

Top Bottom