What's new

In need of videos of proper DE and/or lather technique

Hi guys. I've been doing DE shaving now for over two and a half weeks, and for my face it's just not living up to its promise at this point. I'm getting pretty significant irritation every shave, and the shaves aren't very close either even after multiple passes. I'm trying to do what you guys say (no pressure, correct blade angle, proper lather, etc), but things just aren't working well. And it may in part be due to the fact that my beard is thicker/coarser and grows faster than just about anyone else's I've seen... in Movember I frequently have in three days what most of my work buddies take a full seven day week to grow. This means I absolutely must shave daily, and I'm also unfortunately cursed with very sensitive skin.

Because of that, I think the only way I'm ever going to get this to work (and I do want to get it to work, because I enjoy the traditional shave process) is with extra good technique. So I've taken to youtube in an attempt to see how others with good technique shave with a DE (and build lather), and I'm getting discouraged. In video after video, I see guys extolling the benefits of DE shaving but doing very poor technique, at least based on what I've read on here. I'll watch them do things like:

1. Use lots of pressure (based on their skin indentation)
2. Do repeated cleanup passes of the same area without re-lathering (no shaving cream!).
3. Use very steep angles where the safety bar is touching the skin, which means that razor (if it's like my EJ) is almost certainly scraping the surface of the skin rather than cutting only the hairs.

These guys all seem to be happy afterwards and talk about how great their shave just was, so all I can assume is that their skin isn't overly sensitive. I know from over two weeks of experience that if I personally do any of those three things it really hurts and leads to a lot of redness and irritation, so there's not much I can learn from most of these videos.

Do any of you have some good videos of people with really good technique shaving, especially if they have sensative skin and heavy beards? So far I've found the mantic59 videos but that's about it. I'd love to see more, especially some with closeups or higher resolutions, in the hopes that I can better learn how to hold a correct blade angle, get proper consistency in my lather, deal with the chin and jawline, etc. Any links or help would be much appreciated!

I've had similar problem (about 2 months in now) although in my case it's ingrown hairs not irritation, but I also absolutely have to shave daily or I'll look like a wookie.

Three things.

First in your list of techniques, you did not mention beard mapping. This is vital. I've found that WTG and XTG are all I can stand. Especially on my neck where I only really do WTG and 45 degree XTG.

Second, try cold water. That was a real game changer for me.

Third. Check out the madscientistofwetshaving on youtube. For my money he has the best technique around.

Before I found B&B, I watched a number of GeoFatBoy's Shave Nation videos. They are on his www.shavenation.com site and on YouTube. I've also seen the lathering video linked to YouTube from Queen Charlotte Soaps on how to build lather using their brand. NickShaves on YouTube is good also.

The thing I realized after watching some of these videos is that most of these guys have been DE or Straight shaving for a heck of a lot longer than I have.. they've evolved techniques and tricks that will get us new kids in a world of hurt.. literally. I'm very much a beginner but I've read through the links offered here at B&B for technique and found them more useful than the videos.

You don't mention what you're using for soap/cream, brush or blade or razor... and what kind of pre-shave routine you have. That is vital information for these very smart gentlemen to help you.

I also have spent plenty of time on YouTube trying to learn technique.

I would recommend Nickshaves and PaulHFilms as my main point of reference.

Nick has a beginner series, which is always good for reference, and then reviews plenty of products, blades and razors. However he does often speed up some of the actual shave in the edit! These are excellent videos though, with solid technique since he also apparently has sensitive skin.

The other place, PaulHFilms, is more relaxed video watching. He likes to have a chat with the camera and talk about the weather, roast dinners, and generally how things are in Wales. His videos are also very high quality, and he does not speed up in the edit so you can watch the technique more closely.

Both are good places for reference. Nick is american and Paul is Welsh, so some of the reviewed products are more easily available in their respective countries.

Best of Luck and happy watching, Ben

Just some tips.

I'm a guy with the standard Indian person problem - sensitive skin/heavy facial hair.
Proraso pre/post creams have made a world of a difference for me!
Significantly soften my hair, and really adds a layer of protection to my skin.
Face lathering does a lot to thoroughly hydrate my hair as well.
I also occasionally use different razors for each pass.

I'm going to make a few videos soon. I'll try to make one with some of the tips, tricks, and products I've picked up and learned about from guys like geofatboy and nickshaves! geos preshave vids are excellent and helped a ton!

Other things to consider are prep and products. My shaves goes smoother after a hot bath or shower as the only prep. The majority of the soaps and creams I've tried, along with many aftershave products, either irritate my skin after a shave or two or slowly start to irritate after a week or two. For regular shaving I'm much happier with plain Jane soaps; Mitchell's Wool Fat, Palmolive, Arko and a few others. Razor & blade is another factor. If you are sprouting hair like a wookie a nice mild DE and a gentle blade may not be ideal. A feather with a slant DE or an aggressive open comb might be more suited. A stiff single edge blade in a Gem Micromatic or 1912 Gem/Everready/Star is another cheap avenue to explore, or buy one of these:
proxy.php

An old Sheffield wedge with a natural stone finish may be your holy grail for the most sturdy of all beards perched on the most sensitive of skin, who knows.

Having said all that, 2 weeks into DE shaving my shaves were pretty poor, often painful, fraught with sensitive skin & the occasional cut. There are so many elements to a good shave and pretty much all of them subscribe to the ymmv mantra, if you have a fussy face & beard it's gonna take time or luck. Other tip is to stick with a socially acceptable shave and concentrate on comfort, if you can look vaguely presentable for 8-10hrs try to work on that routine for a hundred shaves or so and dial it in.

Before I found B&B, I watched a number of GeoFatBoy's Shave Nation videos. They are on his www.shavenation.com site and on YouTube. I've also seen the lathering video linked to YouTube from Queen Charlotte Soaps on how to build lather using their brand. NickShaves on YouTube is good also.

The thing I realized after watching some of these videos is that most of these guys have been DE or Straight shaving for a heck of a lot longer than I have.. they've evolved techniques and tricks that will get us new kids in a world of hurt.. literally. I'm very much a beginner but I've read through the links offered here at B&B for technique and found them more useful than the videos.

You don't mention what you're using for soap/cream, brush or blade or razor... and what kind of pre-shave routine you have. That is vital information for these very smart gentlemen to help you.
+1

Good evening sir and welcome to Badger and Blade! First off, I'm glad you've stuck to DE shaving even without having the great results so many have from the very start. I, personally, definitely had my challenges from the start.
First off, it'd help to have a description of your gear and your prep. As stated above, prep is everything. If you can get your lather where you need it to be, I'm confident that you can shave with any razor on the market with great success.
I'll give you some general tips from my successes:
1. Don't go for the big frothy lather, less is more. Try to go for a thin, SLICK, lather for each pass.
2. When starting, don't go for the "baby bottom smooth" look. For the first 6 months or so, I'd do just one pass with the grain.
3. Map your beard growth. With the grain, or WTG, is typically the way for the least irritation. Against the grain, ATG, is my achilles heel but works for some. Across the grain, XTG, is a 90* angle to your beard growth and for me it works pretty well to get the remaining stubble from the WTG pass.
4. Change one factor at a time. If you got a good lather with Barbasol, continue using that with your DE until you can get a comfortable shave. From there you can switch to your brush and a soap or cream and work from there.

Hope this helps!

I don't see Mantic59 being mentioned. When I started last year I watched several of his YouTube videos. Good stuff IMO.

Prep:
Shower
Rub hot water on face
Bowl lather TOBS Jermyn St with omega 10049 boar (can take a few min)
Rewet face with hot water
Work lather into face in circles, when done paintbrush strokes

Shave:
EJ de87 with Gillette Silver Blues
Pass 1 WTG mostly, some XTG where it's really hard to do WTG
Pass 2 mostly XTG, some WTG
Pass 3 usually partial just trying to clean up bad spots, but when it's unacceptably bad for work the third pass may be an all over WTG with a trac II.

I usually have a number of irritated spots after pass 1, and even more after pass 2.

Cold water rinse to close pores.
Proraso white after shave balm

Another bit of advice.... lukewarm to cool or even cold water.... for everything including rinsing the razor between passes.....
When I used very hot water, I always got irritation problems. And when I rinsed the razor in hot water, I also burned my skin with the hot metal. Think about it... would you heat up a spoon then stick it on your face and expect no pain or burn?

And, as someone else said, just for WTG and a reasonably smooth shave... don't rush it.

In Summer, I was using water as cold as possible out of the tap... as winter approaches, I tend to the lukewarm range.

When I lather creams, I heat the bowl with hot water and soak the brush in hot water which gives me a warm lather for the first pass. Those guys who use scuttles get lots of warm lather without the burn.

You might also try some other creams or soaps that are known to be for sensitive skin. Poraso White, Stirling Naked and Smooth, Cremo Creme, maybe. I have no allergies but many guys have reactions to nuts or some of the scent ingredients.

How cold? Lukewarm, or like cold glass of water cold?
Start with as cold as you're comfortable with, see if it makes a difference and work from there.

Might I suggest adding another step to your routine? After you lather your face, let the lather sit for a couple of minutes. In this time do something else like brushing your teeth.
Then rinse it with water and relather. I've found this method to be very useful, as (for me) it significantly softens the beard.

Also youtube is a big trap. The lathering tutorials simply didn't work for me. I've found that my favourite croaps (Cella and proraso green) are significantly thirstier than those videos depict. I found also that the best lathers for me are thinner and wetter than the ones depicted.

Edit: Try switching to face lathering for a while as well and see how that goes. If you don't want to, try working the lather longer on your face.

Last edited:
Top Bottom