What's new

Lets get ready t o o o o o. (now with photos)

Lacto-Ferment!

Its gotten a bit cooler and is a perfect time to do some "pickling"

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yes Sir, now we're talkin. Jim, give us your pickling brine recipe....or is it a secret?

....those long peppers look very good.

Shhhh.. its a secret!

50g kosher salt to a liter of water- how easy is that?

Kosher water?

Jim has access to some old stock
$WaterJars.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Shhhh.. its a secret!

50g kosher salt to a liter of water- how easy is that?

That's it? That is pickling? Sounds too easy :biggrin: What is the difference (barring the obvious difference of solution) between brine pickling and vinegar pickling?

Just as an aside, it looks like Jim had a game of Sorry or Parcheesi going just before starting the pickle.

Carry on.

That's it? That is pickling? Sounds too easy :biggrin: What is the difference (barring the obvious difference of solution) between brine pickling and vinegar pickling?

Well Owen the fermentation creates the " vinegar" if you will, it is something like starting from scratch, adding the produce to a refrigerator pickle (marinade) solution is a shortcut.. the fast food of the pickle world. Both have their place.

Isn't it also true that with lacto-fermentation you have alive and active cultures and probiotics in the food, whereas that is not the case with a vinegar pickle?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well Owen the fermentation creates the " vinegar" if you will, it is something like starting from scratch, adding the produce to a refrigerator pickle (marinade) solution is a shortcut.. the fast food of the pickle world. Both have their place.
I see- thanks for the info. I have been wanting to try to duplicate the jalapeno pickles a deceased lodge member used to make. Maybe I need to get off of my rear.

Top Bottom