What's new

Blade to be taken out everyday while cleaning?

Hello everyone.
I've been DE shaving for almost 4 months now. Started with a EJ DE89 with Gillette 7 O Clock blacks and bought a Merkur 37C with Personna lab blues last week. After every shave, I dismantle the razor, take out the blade, pat dry the blade with toilet paper, wipe the razor dry and assemble it back with the blade. Is this alright? Or is the screwing/unscrewing everyday bad for the threads of the razor?
Thanks in advance guys:)
Am thinking about getting the ATT Kronos S2 too:D

I have tried both ways, and found no difference in how long the blades last for my beard.

I just loosen the head so the blade can rattle a little, and rinse the blade / head under hot running tap water (directed through the blade gap) for about 3 seconds, shake the excess water out of the head, and hang the razor in its stand to dry. Every 3 months or so, I disassemble it and spray some scrubbing bubbles all over it for good measure.

Ps: I have read reports that disassembling zamak razors daily does cause the threads to wear out within a couple of years. But I have no personal experience with zamak razors.

After every shave, I dismantle the razor, take out the blade, pat dry the blade with toilet paper, wipe the razor dry and assemble it back with the blade. Is this alright? Or is the screwing/unscrewing everyday bad for the threads of the razor?

I don't think it's bad for the threads. The razor was made to be taken apart. To me, the cleaning ritual seems excessive, but you've only been DE shaving four months. In time, you might reach the point where all you are doing is rinsing the razor off in hot water and shaking the water out.

When I started out with DE shaving, in the late 70s, I had terrible razor habits. I left them laying in puddles of water on the sink, clogged with hair and soap. Blades rusted, TTO action got rough. But I got better when I switched from carts back to my DEs. When my wife got me a new Merkur a couple Christmases ago, I was keeping that thing shiny after every shave. But it got to be too much. Now I only give my razors a thorough cleaning when I take the blade out and pull it from rotation.

Here I shave, rinse and put the razor on the counter until next day. I clean the razor when I change the blade (which usually occurs every 5-7 days).

The EJ DE89 is made of zamak and the thread is known to break after some time (mine is perfect, however, after 4 years of daily use... that is, until I discovered vintage ones...), so...

YMMV and all that, of course.

I have tried both ways, and found no difference in how long the blades last for my beard.

I just loosen the head so the blade can rattle a little, and rinse the blade / head under hot running tap water (directed through the blade gap) for about 3 seconds, shake the excess water out of the head, and hang the razor in its stand to dry. Every 3 months or so, I disassemble it and spray some scrubbing bubbles all over it for good measure.

Ps: I have read reports that disassembling zamak razors daily does cause the threads to wear out within a couple of years. But I have no personal experience with zamak razors.

+1
Sometimes after a couple of shaves I'll flip the blade, I don't know if this really makes any difference, but it makes me think I'm doing something productive.

I always take the razor apart and clean the blade off and the parts of the razor. I then leave them sit on my stand that way over night to dry then reassemble it and put it away. All but 1 of my razors are vintage so I don't think there's anything to worry about. I guess I'm just a neat freak lol

I'm a bit OCD here but my DE ritual involves me taking the blade out of my Slim, rinse it under hot water and place it on a square of TP. I then scoop up the remaining lather with a spare electric toothbrush and give the Slim an all-over blitz, rinse under hot water, then towel dry and pop the blade back in. Bit over the top I realise, but my Slim is always in a state of eternal shininess! By the time I've finished that little lot, my face is ready for balm application.

I rinse the razor under the faucet, I do not loosen anything. I unscrew only when I change the blade, which has been every three months or so.

I used to take it apart, but for the last couple of months I've just been rinsing off the razor with blade in it under cold water (I shave with cold water). It saves wear and tear on the threads and is just less work, especially since I use mostly 3-piece razors as opposed to TTOs.

I have always just rinse the razor under the faucet, shake it dry, and strop in down a towel 4 times on each side (with the blade) Then I hang it on the stand until tomorrow. Change blades every 5+ days and will hand clean the head if needed. Normally it is fine. I never remove a blade or loosen a head between shaves. This is my routine and I'm stickin to it! Easy and it works.

The only razor I disassemble after use is the ATT S2, since I saw a post on one of the shaving forums where someone saw rust starting after not keeping it perfectly dry. I rinse it, disassemble & towel dry, then reassemble. Brass just gets rinsed under warm water & put away after a quick towel dry.

I'm a bit OCD here but my DE ritual involves me taking the blade out of my Slim, rinse it under hot water and place it on a square of TP. I then scoop up the remaining lather with a spare electric toothbrush and give the Slim an all-over blitz, rinse under hot water, then towel dry and pop the blade back in. Bit over the top I realise, but my Slim is always in a state of eternal shininess! By the time I've finished that little lot, my face is ready for balm application.

Have you Been Spying on me??????:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja: LMAO That sounds almost Identical to what I do, with the exception that I use a cotton towel to my blade while cleaning the razor with a toothbrush and then every third shave or so I strop the blade on my Straight Strop on both sides then replace it. Well Cotton towel then blow dryer most of the time. LMAO

Hello everyone.
I've been DE shaving for almost 4 months now. Started with a EJ DE89 with Gillette 7 O Clock blacks and bought a Merkur 37C with Personna lab blues last week. After every shave, I dismantle the razor, take out the blade, pat dry the blade with toilet paper, wipe the razor dry and assemble it back with the blade. Is this alright? Or is the screwing/unscrewing everyday bad for the threads of the razor?
Thanks in advance guys:)
Am thinking about getting the ATT Kronos S2 too:D

Yes, to much"screwing" can weaken the zinc threads of the top plate. Best to clean, dry (if you want to) then simply snug the handle to keep the razor lined up ready to go. Then when you're ready to shave, check the blade alignment (eyeball it) with a final quick twist to lock the blade in. After each shave loosen the head back to a light snug to keep from stretching the threads while not in use.

"Clamping Force" is the physical law that covers all treaded parts. It explains that when tightened the threads ("go plastic" until they break) which is causing the threads to try to pull back into their original shape thus holding the parts in place. To much clamping force will weaken the strongest metals.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article - Bolted Joint Design.pdf

WOW! Thanks for all the replies guys:) Thanks for taking your time to help a noob:)
Everyone has their own way of cleaning/not cleaning! I probably will go with not taking out the blade until it's time to change it. Just rinse under hot water and leave it to dry:)
Thanks again guys.
btw, I placed an order for the ATT Kronos S2 last night:D Hope my wife isn't home when it arrives.

I have to dry my razors or I get rust on my razor racks (but not the razors). I take the blade out and pat it dry on both sides on my dedicated razor towel when I take apart my razor to dry it after each use.

Do whatever pleases you. I usually take the blade out rinse it off under hot water, pat dry, and then dunk in rubbing alcohol and put back in the razor.

To me cleaning is just part of the fun using a DE razor. It's not a chore...in fact I'm pretty sure I can get more shaves out of a blade by taking it out and rinsing it thoroughly than just leaving it in and rinsing it out. Plus I eliminate the chance of any possible rusting or green crud from forming by letting the blade and razor dry over night before putting it all back together. To me it's just common sense, but hey do what ever works best for you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom