What's new

1st time Osage Rub user

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Working my way through all the Pinaud products, and experiencing olde-time barbershop rightness one bottle at a time.

Now the Osage Rub ... as an archer and knife guy, I've known Osage Orange for years: a fine and useful wood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

Then there's the Osage indians ... and these things have *nothing whatsoever* apparently to do with Osage Rub. If someone knows why they call this icy blast in a bottle by this name, please share.

The ingredients you know- basically menthol and eucalyptus - but the "globulus" threw me; guess it's this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_globulus

Anyways. It's icy bite , which works as an aftershave (probably better in July-August) borders, to me, on medicine ...

It's notes recall getting Vick's VapoRub put on as a child ... yet there's something else there too.

It apparently eats into your skin, since I washed my hands after face-splashing the stuff (pure January morning) and I can still feel a cold feeling in one hand. Anyways.

Now that I have it ... going to look up the various Bootlegger recipes, for that's what I wanted it for. As a base or altering agent for some of these other AS'.

"Cryogen" and some of these other new face-freezers may be in style, but the Rub has legs and staying power. I now see why. Powerful stuff, especially for the price.

AA

I really like this stuff. When I was in college, the barber I visited applied this to the back of my neck and to my face after shaving. I love the fragrance, but I find it has too much bite for me after shaving. I use it now during Atlanta's summer months as a quick relief from the heat. Splash some on on my face and the back of my neck and I am good to go.

Then there's the Osage indians ... and these things have *nothing whatsoever* apparently to do with Osage Rub. If someone knows why they call this icy blast in a bottle by this name, please share.

I've researched this a bit trying to come up with an answer, and all I have is a decent theory.

Osage -> O-Sage -> Oil of Sage

If you look at the earlier bottles, it had Sage Oil in it. (Alcohol, Menthol, Oil of Sage, and Eucalyptus). And the label has a Sage plant on the logo. I wish it still had sage oil in it, I love that stuff. Just another reformulation gone bad.

attachment.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ah-ha. Got to be.

As anyone added oil of Sage to the current day?

Just wondering.

AA

I use it all over my head after most shaves. I usually use a different aftershave on my face after it dries. If you use a menthol splash after the Osage it really chills your face. I like it.

A lot of people like the more expensive menthol aftershaves because of their moisturizing properties, but I like the fact that I can use a lot of the Osage without it getting sticky. It has never been drying on my face. I think is has a decent amount of the eucalyptus oil. It's perfect for use, even during a hot day as a splash, and it's cheap enough to use as much as you want! I now carry a spray bottle of it in my truck after KJ recommended it.

As much as I love all the Pinaud products, it is my favorite.

Best Wishes

If you use a menthol splash after the Osage it really chills your face. I like it.

That's pretty hardcore.

Osage Rub is one of my top aftershaves. I often use it "just because" - but it really excels at reducing redness after a less-than-perfect shave.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Massage it into your wet hair for a wake up call.

I was going to say the same thing. If you think splashing on your face gives you a rush, rub some into your wet hair and scalp. If that doesn't bring on a true "WOOOO," I don't know what to do for ya! :osage:

I love Osage Rub as an AS splash, but it really shines after a post-workout or yard work shower. I plash some on my face, neck, arms, and chest, and I rub some onto my scalp. Instant cooldown!

Did anyone notice in the "recipe from a trade journal" below the general description, there is an ingredient "Tincture of cantharides". I had to look that up and apparently it is Spanish Fly which is theoretically made from actual beetles. :blink:

Sage and Spanish Fly make for a great daily driver.

Top Bottom